ES - 1st to 4th Gen (1990-2006) Forum for all 1990 - 2006 ES300 and ES330 models. ES250 topics go here as well.

Considering 05 ES with cold engine white smoke -- head gasket or less serious?

Search this Thread

Old 09-13-12, 12:46 PM
NemoDat
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Considering 05 ES with cold engine white smoke -- head gasket or less serious?

Hello all. First time poster as I'm now shopping for my first Lexus

I came accross a 2005 330 at a dealer yesterday ($15,400). Car is in very good shape and has 126k km. Looking for advice on white smoke when engine is cold.

When I first started it up, it blew a fair amount of white smoke -- it didn't smoke out the parking lot by any means, but it was certainly noticeable to anyone looking (including the salesman).

Unfortunately, I didn't get a chance to smell the exhaust as I was at the pedal. Once the engine was warm, there was no more smoke. I took it for a test drive and no noticeable smoke when I floored it at highway speed.

The oil had just been changed by the dealer and I so could see nothing abnormal. I also test drove an 04 ES330, but there was no trace of smoke at any point.

If I'm not mistaken, the older ES models have a known head gasket issue but this problem would not apply to an 05.

I did some research last night, and it seems like the white smoke could be caused by at least the following:

1. Nothing wrong - it's simply condensation, which explains why it goes away quickly. Could it simply be that the car isn't driven much sitting on the lot, and regular use would rectify?
2. Cheap fix: Faulty PCV.
3. Cheap fix: Faulty ECU.
4. Fairly cheap fix: Faulty fue injector (but usually smoke accompanied by strong smell of gas?)
5. Worst case scenario: Head gasket blown.

If the problem is the head gasket, I guess it would be in the early stages of gasket failure -- could the engine already be damaged?

I'd appreciate any suggestions on how to properly diagnose this -- particularly if I can do so myself rather than hire a mechanic, at least at first, then hire mechanic if necessary.

What sort of testing is in order - compression test? Leak down test?Chemical analysis? Emissions analysis? What bugs me is the freshly changed oil, which may be masking a problem.

BTW, for head gasket replacement on both banks, the local Lexus dealer is quoting $563 for the head gasket kit, and about $1250 in labour (both banks), so it's going to be a $2000 bill from Lexus.

OK, I think that's enough questions for now! Many thanks in advance for any advice or suggestions.

Thanks.
Old 09-13-12, 01:15 PM
Hayk
Lead Lap

Received 291 Likes on 230 Posts

I'm gonna guess on the first one - condensation from sitting too long. The freshly changed oil is just there to make the car more appealing, along with a clean engine bay, new tires, and a vacuumed interior. If the car hasn't been driven, the oil color will not change. You could try coming back there and starting it again. If there was a coolant leak, it would accumulate over night. Also, if there was a coolant leak, it would end up in the oil.

Honestly though, there are plenty of ES330's out there, especially for that kind of money. If you're not 100% comfortable, find another one.
Old 09-13-12, 01:29 PM
hypervish
Lexus Test Driver

Received 88 Likes on 75 Posts

Welcome to Club Lexus!

I have to agree with MrBooby and say that it is likely condensation. But, I would definitely start by changing the PCV valve as that is a normal maintenance item.

Are you sure it wasn't steam?

You can purchase something like this:
Amazon Amazon
, or just go to a local independent shop who has something like that, have them check.

These car's do not suffer from head-gasket issues.