ES - 1st to 4th Gen (1990-2006) Forum for all 1990 - 2006 ES300 and ES330 models. ES250 topics go here as well.

DIY- 2002 ES300 Programming Keyless Entry & Immobilizer

Search this Thread

Old 09-02-12, 04:45 PM
hypervish
Lexus Test Driver

Received 88 Likes on 75 Posts
Post DIY- 2002 ES300 Programming Keyless Entry & Immobilizer

Hey guys, I just got done programming an additional master key for my ES300. I now have 4 keys, 2 master and 2 non-remote valet keys.

These instruction can be found by doing a search, but I think it's easier if it's all in one thread. The keyless entry instructions worked great. But, the immobilizer instructions that are on here did not work. I tried multiple times, I then went back through my files and found what I used to program the immobilizer for my RX300 and tried that on my ES. Luckily, it worked!

Keyless Entry Programming
1. Driver’s door open, all other doors closed, key removed from ignition switch.
2. Within 5 sec. insert and remove the key from the ignition switch TWICE.
3. Within 40 sec. close and open the driver’s door TWICE.
4. Insert and remove the key from the ignition switch and close the driver’s door.
5. Within 40 sec. close and open the driver’s door TWICE.
6. Insert key into the ignition switch and close the driver’s door.
7. Switch ignition ON then OFF ONE TIME- this will put the car in ADD mode for your remote and retain your original codes. (Turning the ignition ON then OFF TWO TIMES will ADD the remote but will erase all existing (codes) remotes.) (three times to check how many key remote transmitters are currently registered or 5 times to erase all registered codes.)
8. Remove the key from the ignition.
9. System should now lock and unlock vehicle. Once, twice or five times depending which mode has been selected. One to four times, slowly, to indicate number of key remote transmitters registered.
10. Within 40 sec., press and hold LOCK AND UNLOCK buttons simultaneously for 15 seconds.
11. Within 3 seconds, press and release LOCK OR UNLOCK button.
12. System should now lock and unlock vehicle once to confirm registration, twice to indicate registration has failed.
13. Within 40 seconds, repeat button procedure to program remaining key remote transmitters.
14. Exit programming mode by opening driver’s door or inserting ignition key.
Method #1 for Immobilizer Programming
NOTE: These are the instructions that I used first which didn't work, they may work for you.
1. Simultaneously depress and release brake and accelerator pedals 1 time.
2. Insert existing master key into the ignition. Do not turn.
3. Within 15 sec. Press and release the accelerator pedal 5 times. (not too rapidly)
4. Within 20 sec. Press and release the brake pedal 6 times.
5. Remove the key from the ignition.
6. Within 10 sec. insert the new key you want to program into the ignition.
7. Within 10 sec. press and release the accelerator pedal one time. At this time the security light starts blinking. Wait about 1 minute while it blinks.
8. After 45 sec to 1 min the security light will stop blinking and go off. When it stops blinking your key is programmed. To end programming, step on brake one time.
9. Remove new key then reinsert and try starting the car.
Method # 2 for Immobilizer Programming
NOTE: This method worked for me.
1. Have all windows up and doors shut.
2. Stand outside the vehicle.
3. From outside, lock the door with "your key".
4. From outside, unlock the door with "your key".
5. Enter the vehicle, and close the door.
6. Start the car, then turn car off, and remove the key.
7. Insert "your key" back into the ignition.
8. Within' 35 seconds
a) Turn the key from "OFF" to "ON" five times ending in the "OFF" position.
b) Open and close the driver's door SIX times.
c) Remove "your key"
9. Within' 10 seconds insert "NEW KEY" into the ignition, and turn to "ON".
10. Leave the key inserted until the security light stops flashing (up to 90 seconds)..
11. Remove "NEW KEY" from ignition.
12. Depress brake pedal forcefully ONCE to exit programming mode.
13. Wait 15 seconds to allow computer to reset.
14. Test "NEW KEY" by inserting into ignition and attempt to start the vehicle.
As far as step 10 goes, my security light didn't stop flashing so I just waited 90 seconds and continued onto step 11. In the end, it worked though.
Old 09-02-12, 06:04 PM
Hayk
Lead Lap

Received 291 Likes on 230 Posts

So these are the steps for when you lose a key and need to get a new one? Stupid question: What does the Immobilizer step do? Is it basically programming it for the ignition?
Old 09-02-12, 06:28 PM
Power6
Lead Lap

Received 15 Likes on 13 Posts

Originally Posted by MrBooby
So these are the steps for when you lose a key and need to get a new one? Stupid question: What does the Immobilizer step do? Is it basically programming it for the ignition?
The immobilizer uses the transponder chip in the key, it has to be programmed to the car to start it, so the thieves can't just pop your ignition switch and use a screw driver. Makes the teeth on the key largely useless...
Old 09-02-12, 07:21 PM
hypervish
Lexus Test Driver

These instructions are for when you need to create another master key. But, in order to do so you need at least one working master key. Which is why I keep at least 2 master keys, in case I loose one I at least have another one that I can use to program another key with. If you don't have a master key then you can't program a new master key to it, you need to re-flash the ECU which is a pain.

And, yup what Power6 said. It basically helps prevent thieves. You can't start the car without having the key registered. It will just crank endlessly, but it won't start.
Old 09-02-12, 08:32 PM
Hayk
Lead Lap

Received 291 Likes on 230 Posts

Originally Posted by hypervish
These instructions are for when you need to create another master key. But, in order to do so you need at least one working master key. Which is why I keep at least 2 master keys, in case I loose one I at least have another one that I can use to program another key with. If you don't have a master key then you can't program a new master key to it, you need to re-flash the ECU which is a pain.

And, yup what Power6 said. It basically helps prevent thieves. You can't start the car without having the key registered. It will just crank endlessly, but it won't start.
Good to know, thank you for your contribution. Do you know if these steps will work for other Lexus models such as my 98 ES?
Old 09-02-12, 09:39 PM
PFB
Lexus Champion

Received 44 Likes on 39 Posts

Can a new remote master key be programmed from a non-remote master key, so that the remote functions will work as well?
Old 09-03-12, 05:02 AM
hypervish
Lexus Test Driver

Good to know, thank you for your contribution. Do you know if these steps will work for other Lexus models such as my 98 ES?
You're welcome.

Yes, these steps should work with other ES's such as your 98'. The reason I put 2002 in the title is because I confirmed it works on my 2002, and I don't want to put other years up there that potentially may not work such as the earlier ES's with only 1 button on the key.
Old 09-03-12, 05:05 AM
hypervish
Lexus Test Driver

Originally Posted by PFB
Can a new remote master key be programmed from a non-remote master key, so that the remote functions will work as well?
Very good question. Unfortunately, one that I don't have an answer to. Maybe someone else on here knows.

From what I recall reading over on the RX section is that no, you need a remote master key to program another remote master.
Old 09-03-12, 06:12 PM
PFB
Lexus Champion

Received 44 Likes on 39 Posts

Thanks Hypervish andLocksmithy for your replies. I tried the procedure that Locksmithy suggested, and it turns out that what I thought was a non-remote master key is indeed a Valet key.

So now I'll need to order a spare remote master key and program it based on the only master key that I do have. This just in case I loose my only master key.

I'll try Sewell, but not sure if they deliver to Canada based on a Canadian VIN number.
Old 09-11-12, 12:02 PM
tomf
Lead Lap

Received 21 Likes on 20 Posts

This method worked for programming a new master for a 1999 ES300 on the third try. Method #2 did not work.
Thanks

NOTE: These are the instructions that I used first which didn't work, they may work for you.
Quote:
1. Simultaneously depress and release brake and accelerator pedals 1 time.
2. Insert existing master key into the ignition. Do not turn.
3. Within 15 sec. Press and release the accelerator pedal 5 times. (not too rapidly)
4. Within 20 sec. Press and release the brake pedal 6 times.
5. Remove the key from the ignition.
6. Within 10 sec. insert the new key you want to program into the ignition.
7. Within 10 sec. press and release the accelerator pedal one time. At this time the security light starts blinking. Wait about 1 minute while it blinks.
8. After 45 sec to 1 min the security light will stop blinking and go off. When it stops blinking your key is programmed. To end programming, step on brake one time.
9. Remove new key then reinsert and try starting the car.
Old 02-18-13, 10:50 AM
JoshTittle
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I'm going to try this soon. I just picked up a new key on Ebay. Thanks for posting!
Old 03-06-13, 09:34 PM
gazi001
Lexus Test Driver

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by hypervish
Hey guys, I just got done programming an additional master key for my ES300. I now have 4 keys, 2 master and 2 non-remote valet keys.

These instruction can be found by doing a search, but I think it's easier if it's all in one thread. The keyless entry instructions worked great. But, the immobilizer instructions that are on here did not work. I tried multiple times, I then went back through my files and found what I used to program the immobilizer for my RX300 and tried that on my ES. Luckily, it worked!

Keyless Entry Programming

Method # 2 for Immobilizer Programming
NOTE: This method worked for me.

As far as step 10 goes, my security light didn't stop flashing so I just waited 90 seconds and continued onto step 11. In the end, it worked though.
Hyper, my kids lost my two remote keys. But I made one extra remote key two years ago. That is the only key I have now. Where do you bought your remote key and how much? I checked with swell Lexus parts for oem key with cutting for $163.55 (includes shipping). Another remote key from ebay about $ 74.00 plus cutting $ 34.00 total costs $ 108.00. Here is the link:http://www.ebay.com/itm/99-00-01-02-...-/360294127004
What will be the best choice for remote key?
Old 03-07-13, 06:11 AM
hypervish
Lexus Test Driver

Originally Posted by gazi001
Hyper, my kids lost my two remote keys. But I made one extra remote key two years ago. That is the only key I have now. Where do you bought your remote key and how much? I checked with swell Lexus parts for oem key with cutting for $163.55 (includes shipping). Another remote key from ebay about $ 74.00 plus cutting $ 34.00 total costs $ 108.00. Here is the link:http://www.ebay.com/itm/99-00-01-02-...-/360294127004
I bought mine from eBay, seller- mykeyless-1 for $79.89. It's still working fine, according to my records I bought it in April of last year. The key shell had been replaced so the key looked brand new, I'm certain they put a new battery in it beforehand as well.

The link you have here seem's like a good deal as well. Here's a link to a key from the seller I bought from :http://www.ebay.com/itm/NEW-LEXUS-KE...item5d33cb363b

I had the key cut at my local Lexus dealership for $30, I then had a key for my ES300 cut for $20 (about a month later and mind you it's the same exact type of key, both are "sidewinder"). So, the prices will vary, but it's likely it will be cheaper to get it cut at your local dealership rather than ship it to Sewell. Mind you, I have never gone to my Lexus dealership for anything before, so $30 is likely just their base price, if you've been a customer before you may be able to get it done cheaper.
Old 03-08-13, 08:52 AM
JoshTittle
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by gazi001
My local dealership in Nashville charges $25.00 to cut the key and another $50.00 to program it. With keys on ebay make sure the FCCID numbers match for your fob, and that they are not just the shell only.

Certain cars like my 05 ES330 have to be programed at the dealer.
Old 03-08-13, 09:11 PM
andybisnut
Rookie

Thanks for putting this together hypervish. I may try this soon.

Quick Reply: DIY- 2002 ES300 Programming Keyless Entry & Immobilizer