ES - 1st to 4th Gen (1990-2006) Forum for all 1990 - 2006 ES300 and ES330 models. ES250 topics go here as well.

talk to me about the a/c filter

Search this Thread

Old 11-20-02, 09:57 PM
lexusation
Driver School Candidate

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default talk to me about the a/c filter

hi
there is a sticker on my door jamb saying replace the a/c filter annually... so i guess that explains the nasty mildew smell everytime i turn on the a/c to defog the windshield.

could some one kindly educate me as to how i can replace this nifty li'l filter on an es300? after i change it, and i can no longer smell the mildew, i will be thinking about you and thanking you

thx

Last edited by lexusation; 11-26-02 at 02:48 AM.
Old 11-21-02, 12:50 AM
steviej
Lexus Champion

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

If the '98 a/c filter placement is similar to the '02 a/c filter, you will find it behind the glove compartment. Open the compartment, on the right hand side is the attachment or hinge screw, remove it so that the compartment door swings way down. The a/c filter should be behind it.

Look in your manual. This is a DIY thing and the manual should have pics to follow.

sj
Old 11-21-02, 01:16 AM
ES3
Lexus Champion

Default Re: talk to me about the a/c filter

Originally posted by lexusation
hi
there is a sticker on my door jamb saying replace the a/c filter annually... so i guess that explains the nasty mildew smell everytime i turn on the a/c to defog the windshield.

could some one kindly educate me as to how i can replace this nifty li'l filter on a 98 es300? after i change it, and i can no longer smell the mildew, i will be thinking about you and thanking you

thx
Hmmm, I've got a '97 and have yet to replace the A/C filter. Unless my olfactory senses suck, I've yet to notice a foul smell. Do these REALLY have to changed yearly?
Old 11-21-02, 03:03 AM
kreativ
Advanced

If you want clean air in the car. And I'd think that a clogged A/C filter would also restrict air flow.
Old 11-21-02, 07:54 AM
mburnickas
Pole Position

I also have a 98 and looked behind the glove box. Nothing I saw unless I missed it.
Old 11-22-02, 11:55 AM
steviej
Lexus Champion

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Wink

I just checked with my Lexus sevice manager. The 02 a/c filter is behind the glove box as sited before.

The 98 ES300 filter is behind the carpeting near the underside of the dashboard, though he could not remember if it was the driver side or passenger side (explains why he is a manger and not a technician). He did explain that they charge 2/10 to 3/10 of an hour more for replacement due to the location. Hope you can find it.
On the 02 it is a small rectangular (bout the size of a VHS cassette) cartridge that fits in to a slot behind the glove box. Look for something similar.

If it is not the filter: it may be moisture or condensation has puddled in the duct work. This may be the source of your mold and mildew. The duct work would just need to be cleaned and disenfected. Talk to lexus or toyota on that. I had to have that done to my 93 Bonneville SSEi. Price wise, couldn't even estimate for you. It was done as part of a major AC repair.

A woman I work with has a 97 ES300 and this past fall sheet had a smell of popcorn (no butter) coming from the vents when she turned on the climate control (mostly heater). Turns out is was a mouse's nest in the duct work. Haven't a clue on how they got in. Hopefully the little critters got out before it got too hot. :eek:
Old 11-22-02, 12:43 PM
fog80
Driver

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

where would it be on a '96 es300.

i dont have a manual.
Old 11-23-02, 10:03 AM
kreativ
Advanced

Originally posted by steviej
A woman I work with has a 97 ES300 and this past fall sheet had a smell of popcorn (no butter) coming from the vents when she turned on the climate control (mostly heater). Turns out is was a mouse's nest in the duct work. Haven't a clue on how they got in. Hopefully the little critters got out before it got too hot. :eek:
If she enjoyed the smell of popcorn, I doubt she does anymore.

Someone here posted a while back that the A/C Filter for the previous generation ES was a pain to change. (Someone else was asking whether to do it themselves or just have the dealer do it).
Old 11-26-02, 03:09 AM
lexusation
Driver School Candidate

thanks

i looked and looked and looked some more to no avail.

diagrams anyone?
Old 12-01-02, 09:29 PM
goodlanding
Driver School Candidate

Default ac filter

The filter is on the driver's side. To clean or replace do the following.

1. Remove floor mat

2. Pull back carpet from right side, working it under the gas pedal.

3. Clip cable tie off wiring harness.

4. Remove large access panel by prying off right portion, moving the panel to the right and removing the left side.

5. Panel holding filters is further to the front of the car. Look for tension clips. The door can be removed.

6. Pull out lower filter. It's hinged halfway to clear the gas pedal. Push down on the gas.

7. If the upper filter has not dropped, fish for it and it will drop.

8. Blow out with compressed air or replace. Considering what a pain it is, you might just replace it an be done with it.

I have noticed that when the filter is plugged, the flow rate is reduced and the air seems to bypass the filter.

Good luck, the replacement is slightly harder because the upper filter must be held up. Have an assistant press down on the gas pedal with a broomstick. The thicker filter goes in last and both parts are marked with "up". There are tabs on the left of both filters.
Old 12-02-02, 01:01 AM
lexusation
Driver School Candidate

Great, thank you so much
Old 12-03-02, 07:46 AM
mburnickas
Pole Position

goodlanding - Thanks! I will try it this weekend. Now the only problem is the damn pine needles in the ait vent by the blower! What a pain to remove the blower. (1) screw is under some connectors and I can't get to it.

oh well, thanks for the directions
Old 12-07-02, 09:27 PM
Poppo
Driver School Candidate

Does a '95 ES 300 have an air filter?