ES - 1st to 4th Gen (1990-2006) Forum for all 1990 - 2006 ES300 and ES330 models. ES250 topics go here as well.

Audio Help! Put the subs in and worked fine for 5 day and now they don't work??

Search this Thread

Old 08-02-12, 08:32 PM
Ryanh1020
Rookie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Lightbulb Audio Help! Put the subs in and worked fine for 5 day and now they don't work??

I have a 1997 Lexus ES 300 which I put 2 12 inch subwoofers and 2 tweeters ( one unit ) it is a full range unit with a total of 1000 watts in place of the back deck subwoofer witch is like 8 inches. I cut the wire from the blown stock woofer and stole the wire off of the original wiring to the back deck subwoofer and wired it directly to the aftermarket speakers. The speaker’s worked great for about a week and then all of a sudden now all I hear is background music what could possibly be wrong? I though it could have been because I didn’t install my amp but how did it work great for 1 week and then all of a sudden go dead. The way they worked really good is if I put the fade all the way to the back of the car directing all the sound to the speakers in the trunk. Now I put the fade all the way and it sounds like its only half way and the sound is trying to come out of the back seat door speakers. Should i disconnect all the speakers in the car except the subs? seeing most of them are blown. Or should i just replace all my speakers. Also how could i remove the door panels? Also i tested these speakers on my home stereo and they worked fine also it may be a fuse in the car not sure
Any suggestions?
Thank you for the help sorry if im asking a question thats already asked before. if so please direct me towards them.
- Ryan
Old 08-02-12, 11:12 PM
JayR463
Driver School Candidate

you ran 2 12" sub and tweeters on the factory amp?
Old 08-02-12, 11:55 PM
DixonPai
Instructor

Received 7 Likes on 5 Posts

possibly over worked your original amp? Try installing your new amp, that should fix it, don't see any other reason why your sub stop working.
Old 08-03-12, 04:12 AM
Ryanh1020
Rookie

Originally Posted by JayR463
Yes haha.. but it worked for a week then suddenly went dim
Old 08-03-12, 04:13 AM
Ryanh1020
Rookie

Originally Posted by DixonPai
possibly over worked your original amp? Try installing your new amp, that should fix it, don't see any other reason why your sub stop working.
Does best buy install amps? if so how much?
Old 08-03-12, 07:39 AM
Ryanh1020
Rookie

Were is the stock amp in the car? is it right next to the back deck speaker?
Old 08-03-12, 09:11 AM
xsh0tya
Lexus Test Driver

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by JayR463
Always a bad idea... unless the subs are made specifically for your factory amp. Subs and tweeters all in one? Typically subs require more power than speakers and tweeters even less. So 1000 watts is probably the peak power and you (OP) want to find the rms power rating. Best buy does install and just call or drop in for a quote. Might be a little more to fix the previous install.
Old 08-03-12, 10:43 AM
Power6
Lead Lap

Received 15 Likes on 13 Posts

Was this 1000W unit perhaps already powered on its own did you run a power wire to it or just the speaker wires? It does figure you would blow the amp if trying to run all that off the sub channel in the little old stock amp.

The stock amp is behind the glove box.
Old 08-03-12, 11:10 AM
adreano17
Advanced

Received 107 Likes on 58 Posts

you took 0 consideration of the amp capabilities. Car audio is alot more complicated than plug and play. You need to check the ohmage of the subs, speakers, tweeters. and make sure they can run on the amp. Regardless this is a bad idea to say the least. Invest audio the right way or not at all. Get a good monoblock amp for the subs, dedicated amp for tweeters and mids.
Old 08-03-12, 08:28 PM
Ryanh1020
Rookie

Originally Posted by Power6
Was this 1000W unit perhaps already powered on its own did you run a power wire to it or just the speaker wires? It does figure you would blow the amp if trying to run all that off the sub channel in the little old stock amp.

Just the speaker wires (hacked off of the top deck speaker) hopefully the installation of my amp will fix it. thanks!
Old 08-03-12, 08:30 PM
Ryanh1020
Rookie

Originally Posted by Power6

could their be a fuse blown? also if the amp was blown no speakers would work all the other speakers work. Also i check to see if the subs were blown and they work fine in my home audio system.
Old 08-03-12, 08:31 PM
Ryanh1020
Rookie

Originally Posted by adreano17
you took 0 consideration of the amp capabilities. Car audio is alot more complicated than plug and play. You need to check the ohmage of the subs, speakers, tweeters. and make sure they can run on the amp. Regardless this is a bad idea to say the least. Invest audio the right way or not at all. Get a good monoblock amp for the subs, dedicated amp for tweeters and mids.
How do you suppose i go about purchasing all equipment needed and also should i install my own or??
Thanks
Old 08-03-12, 08:47 PM
Power6
Lead Lap

Received 15 Likes on 13 Posts

Originally Posted by Ryanh1020
could their be a fuse blown? also if the amp was blown no speakers would work all the other speakers work. Also i check to see if the subs were blown and they work fine in my home audio system.
Actually it is the reverse of your logic, if a fuse was blown all the other speakers would not work as the whole amp would be dead. In the case if the other speakers work, you likely blew the sub channel that you hooked that speaker menagerie up to, but the other 4 channels continue working so you have sound in the other speakers.
Old 08-03-12, 11:04 PM
Ryanh1020
Rookie

does anybody know how many watts the stock amp is?
Old 08-04-12, 04:28 AM
mdbrown
Lead Lap

Received 12 Likes on 11 Posts

Okay, first of all... what's the brand of sub/tweeter that you have? Is it one of those all in one things that they sell at places like Walmart or even Best buy or did you get a box and add the parts in? Does it have an amp on it or did it have no power except from the car amp? FWIW, I would never let best buy hack into the electrical system in my car....

Quick Reply: Audio Help! Put the subs in and worked fine for 5 day and now they don't work??