ES - 1st to 4th Gen (1990-2006) Forum for all 1990 - 2006 ES300 and ES330 models. ES250 topics go here as well.

25 Beeps of Insanity!

Search this Thread

Old 07-27-12, 04:49 PM
InrCosmos1
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 25 Beeps of Insanity!

So out of nowhere my 2000 ES300 started making very loud and annoying chiming sounds on start up and when shifting into reverse or drive. It's a short, sharp beep that repeats steadily 25 times exactly every time it does it. It's coming from right behind the dash by my steering wheel and has been going on for about 2 weeks now.

There is no engine light, or any other light on. My car drives perfect. All fuses are good. It is not the seat belt chime as I have buckled both driver and passenger side belts, plus I know that sound and it's not that. I've checked to make sure the trunk is closed fully too. I have a low jack on my vehicle but my dealership says that it doesn't make any noise.

The only things at all different when it happened was that I was on a long 2000 mile trip to Vancouver, Canada and that I had ran the tank really low. Maybe close to actually running out of gas. Doesn't seem to be any connection to me at all except maybe gas sensor going out.

I talked to the Lexus dealership and they said it doesn't sound like anything of theirs and that It might be after market stuff. I did buy the vehicle used @ 120k but there was nothing modified that I can tell at all and it's in near new condition still. Google is equally mute so far.

Any ideas??? Thanks for reading.
Old 07-27-12, 05:23 PM
mdbrown
Lead Lap

Received 12 Likes on 11 Posts

Well, it's be worth it to turn down the warning chime and make sure nothing is activating that. It's a **** located under the driver's side dash close to the console. Turn it all the way down and see if that changes anything. Otherwise, time to get a look under the dash for any aftermarket control modules (like an alarm.)
Old 07-27-12, 06:02 PM
Bdub215
Lead Lap

Received 12 Likes on 10 Posts

Originally Posted by InrCosmos1
So out of nowhere my 2000 ES300 started making very loud and annoying chiming sounds on start up and when shifting into reverse or drive. It's a short, sharp beep that repeats steadily 25 times exactly every time it does it. It's coming from right behind the dash by my steering wheel and has been going on for about 2 weeks now.

There is no engine light, or any other light on. My car drives perfect. All fuses are good. It is not the seat belt chime as I have buckled both driver and passenger side belts, plus I know that sound and it's not that. I've checked to make sure the trunk is closed fully too. I have a low jack on my vehicle but my dealership says that it doesn't make any noise.

The only things at all different when it happened was that I was on a long 2000 mile trip to Vancouver, Canada and that I had ran the tank really low. Maybe close to actually running out of gas. Doesn't seem to be any connection to me at all except maybe gas sensor going out.

I talked to the Lexus dealership and they said it doesn't sound like anything of theirs and that It might be after market stuff. I did buy the vehicle used @ 120k but there was nothing modified that I can tell at all and it's in near new condition still. Google is equally mute so far.

Any ideas??? Thanks for reading.
Make a video. but its sounding like aftermarket hardware.
Old 07-28-12, 10:24 AM
InrCosmos1
Driver School Candidate

OMG there's a volume ****. Ha! Will definitely check that out and get a video of the chime. Having it diagnosed by Toyota today anyway too. If they can't find anything I guess it's dash deconstructing time. Thanks!
Old 07-29-12, 01:13 PM
InrCosmos1
Driver School Candidate

Sorry no video. I think I found the issue. A little black box zip tied inside the dash with what looks like a co axial cable connected to it, along with two power wires and a ribbon connection. Unplug it and the sound doesn't go off, yet the car doesn't start. Thus I think it's an aftermarket alarm that I'll have removed soon. Thanks again for the help.
Old 07-31-12, 11:46 AM
Gchutes
Rookie

The fact that you found it yourself the first time you looked under there says lengths about the stealerships.