ES - 1st to 4th Gen (1990-2006) Forum for all 1990 - 2006 ES300 and ES330 models. ES250 topics go here as well.

New to me 1999 Lexus ES 300

Search this Thread

Old 07-24-12, 07:50 PM
bronco2454
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default New to me 1999 Lexus ES 300

I picked up a 1999 Lexus ES 300 with 181k on it. My question is about the timing belt. Can you inspect the belt to see if it needs replaced? I plan to do it but would like to wait a few months and still get to drive it. Also is the motor interference or not? If it is interference I will not risk driving it much. I tried looking on the gates website as suggested by others but I do not see where it says at.

Also the car came with only key and no keyless? Is keyless standard on these cars and how much will it cost me to get? Who can cut a key for this car? I have never seen a key like this before.

Any other common issues I should know about?
Old 07-25-12, 06:30 AM
01LEXPL
Lead Lap

Received 68 Likes on 58 Posts

In the last two months there have been at least three threads about timing belts on here. At least "google" it and it will point you back here, not to mention forum search.
Old 07-25-12, 07:01 AM
hypervish
Lexus Test Driver

Received 88 Likes on 75 Posts

Welcome to Club Lexus!

For the keyless entry, yes, it is possible to program another key. This key is called a sidewinder key, as that's the way it's cut.

You can purchase the key from ebay or Sewell (which gives you a CL discount). I believe the key on Sewell was $144 after the club lexus discount, the advantage of buying from them is that they will even the cut the key out according to the VIN number. If you buy it on ebay you will need to find someone in your area that can cut sidewinder keys. So, if you do want to purchase from ebay (which is usually around $80), check with local locksmiths or lexus dealers in your area to see if they are willing to cut the key. Most locksmiths don't have the type of equipment needed to cut the key.

Then you can program the key using the instructions that come with it, or just run a search here to find the programming instructions.

Not many common issues, at least nothing major. But, like what's been said before just run a search.
Old 07-25-12, 08:51 AM
INNOUTFAN
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by bronco2454
I picked up a 1999 Lexus ES 300 with 181k on it. My question is about the timing belt. Can you inspect the belt to see if it needs replaced? I plan to do it but would like to wait a few months and still get to drive it. Also is the motor interference or not? If it is interference I will not risk driving it much. I tried looking on the gates website as suggested by others but I do not see where it says at.

Also the car came with only key and no keyless? Is keyless standard on these cars and how much will it cost me to get? Who can cut a key for this car? I have never seen a key like this before.

Any other common issues I should know about?
When in doubt, change it out. I bought my 3ES with 120,000 (2nd owner not sure if the T Belt was replaced) and inspected the timing belt with the top cover off as much as I could and it looks good (can't really see the bottom or teeth side). I still will not gamble with the timing belt and ruin my engine. Change it out. I purchased the AISIN kit with tensioner and water pump from RockAuto.
Old 08-03-12, 09:18 AM
xsh0tya
Lexus Test Driver

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by hypervish
Welcome to Club Lexus!

For the keyless entry, yes, it is possible to program another key. This key is called a sidewinder key, as that's the way it's cut.

You can purchase the key from ebay or Sewell (which gives you a CL discount). I believe the key on Sewell was $144 after the club lexus discount, the advantage of buying from them is that they will even the cut the key out according to the VIN number. If you buy it on ebay you will need to find someone in your area that can cut sidewinder keys. So, if you do want to purchase from ebay (which is usually around $80), check with local locksmiths or lexus dealers in your area to see if they are willing to cut the key. Most locksmiths don't have the type of equipment needed to cut the key.

Then you can program the key using the instructions that come with it, or just run a search here to find the programming instructions.

Not many common issues, at least nothing major. But, like what's been said before just run a search.
Another option, but you would still only have 1 key. Is an aftermarket alarm or starter system. They typically start at around 100 and that includes install and then you pay another 30 - 50 for keyless. (Price is more if you go the starter route, as you will need to buy a bypass and if Im not mistaken, depending on the unit you actually need 2 keys to program.) So you get a better alarm system or if your anywhere cold started and keyless in 1 shot.
Old 08-03-12, 12:31 PM
Hayk
Lead Lap

Received 291 Likes on 230 Posts

Just to inspect the belt, you will be half way through the Timing Belt job. Get a kit from RockAuto, like mentioned above, and replace it. What you will probably find is that your camshaft seals are old and brittle. I got my car with 173k, did my timing belt at 185k, and I didn't have any records of it being done. The belt and all the accessories looked really good, except for the oil seals. I thought I had a power steering leak, but it was actually the camshaft seals.
Old 08-07-12, 06:39 AM
Kline12
Driver School Candidate

Any other common issues you should know about... yes. Check out this link. http://www.edmunds.com/lexus/es-300/...liability.html

The search is under 1998 es 300 because the engine didnt change between 98 and 99 as much as they said it did. They took off the imobilizer because it was adding to the problems. CHANGE YOUR OIL OFTEN AND ON TIME. These cars are known for engine sludging. Also, don't drive it hard. You'll end up like me having to do an engine swap. It's not a cheap process. Other than that these cars are great, smooth, and reliable if you treat them right. I proimse you will fall in love with it. I did mine. It was my first car and I plan on keeping it for as long as I possibly can. Thats why i put a new engine in rather than junked it. Its just that worth it to me.
Old 08-07-12, 05:54 PM
bronco2454
Driver School Candidate

Does $700 sound reasonable for this job if water pump tensioner and seals are done? My regular mechanic did not want to do it but recommended a mechanic who could. I called a few others places and was told no by another one so that it is two mechanics that will not even touch this job. Is it really that complicated for an experienced mechanic that has done timing belts on other cars?
Old 08-07-12, 07:13 PM
MikeLex
Lead Lap

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by bronco2454
Does $700 sound reasonable for this job if water pump tensioner and seals are done? My regular mechanic did not want to do it but recommended a mechanic who could. I called a few others places and was told no by another one so that it is two mechanics that will not even touch this job. Is it really that complicated for an experienced mechanic that has done timing belts on other cars?
Yes, very reasonable. BTW, it's really frustrating to be told by a "mechanic" that he can't change a timing belt...
Old 08-07-12, 07:43 PM
bronco2454
Driver School Candidate

As soon as I said I wanted an estimate for my Lexus they said no we do not work on those here. But I see Toyotasparked out front all the time.
Old 08-08-12, 07:25 PM
99es300LM
Driver School Candidate

99 es300 is a non interference engine. So says the gates website. So if it does go on you it'll leave u stranded but your es won't be on its way to the junkyard. Still wouldn't be a bad idea to do it. But don't loose sleep I over it.
Old 08-08-12, 08:02 PM
Hayk
Lead Lap

Received 291 Likes on 230 Posts

Originally Posted by 99es300LM
99 es300 is a non interference engine. So says the gates website. So if it does go on you it'll leave u stranded but your es won't be on its way to the junkyard. Still wouldn't be a bad idea to do it. But don't loose sleep I over it.
This has been brought up by someone else in another thread, so I wish I had the quote to paste in here. Basically, it makes no sense to ignore a timing belt on a non-interference engine, due to the hassle that it will bring. You have to keep in mind that cars don't break at the most convenient time.
Old 08-08-12, 08:18 PM
hypervish
Lexus Test Driver

Received 88 Likes on 75 Posts

Originally Posted by 99es300LM
99' and up is interference, due to the introduction of VVT-I.
Old 08-09-12, 04:36 AM
bronco2454
Driver School Candidate

Either way I am not willing to risk it breaking. I had the belt break on my other car which was non-interference but it still was a big pain and very inconvenient. I am not driving the car much until it goes in to have this work done.