ES - 1st to 4th Gen (1990-2006) Forum for all 1990 - 2006 ES300 and ES330 models. ES250 topics go here as well.

Stalling at Idle 2002 ES300, Trying to help a friend

Search this Thread

Old 07-23-12, 10:44 AM
norcalvp
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Stalling at Idle 2002 ES300, Trying to help a friend

A Friend of mine has a 2002 ES300 that over the last week has developed a stalling problem. Yesterday I had him bring the car over so we could try to diagnose the problem. (He told me it was an 01, not an 02) Anyway, The problem only appears to happen at idle, the engine will be running fine, then studders and dies. If he keeps his foot on the gas to increase the RPM's slightly it won't die. I figured that this might be an issue with the throttle body (Similar issue with my Tacoma) so we got the throttle body off and cleaned it, I cleaned the MAF and put it back together and the problem still remains. I did some searching on the forums and found the IAC valve cleaning (Which I realize that this model year doesn't have now) and I also found threads stating that the EGR valve should be cleaned. Can anyone tell me where the valve is physically located? All of the images and documentation I could find was for the '01 and earlier, but alot of the parts houses show a part for an 02-03 ES300 that I cannot seem to locate on the engine, and I'm hoping that it's not behind the intake manifold.

Something else that I am unsure of is that there is a valve on the side of the intake manifold (At the far left of the manifold closest to the passenger front tire) that has a vacuum pod attached to a lever. I the shaft of the valve is a little loose, and I can pull the shaft out of the manifold pretty easily (I didn't think that I should be able to do this...) I tried to remove the valve assembly from the manifold, but could only get it to come out an 1/4 of an inch before it stopped. I have no idea what this is or how it should function.

Anyway if anyone can point me in the right direction or can point me in the direction of an online FSM I'd appreciate it.

Steve
Old 07-23-12, 11:41 AM
GS4_Fiend
Lexus Test Driver

Received 86 Likes on 69 Posts

Clean MAF and TB.
Old 07-23-12, 01:10 PM
Megafast13
Instructor

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Did he recently disconnect the battery terminals? It resets the RPM's ECU system which tends to idle WAY too low. Same thing will happen on my ES, and on many Camry's. Once it relearns his driving habits it shouldn't idle as low to the point of stalling out.

If he hasn't done anything with the battery recently than it probably is a legitimate engine/trans problem.
Old 07-23-12, 09:42 PM
norcalvp
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by GS4_Fiend
Clean MAF and TB.

We did this yesterday. I removed the entire intake cleaned it out including the MAF, both pieces of the throttle body (the throttle body, and the aluminum piece behind it with the butterfly valves) these pieces were pretty clean for having 140K+ on the clock. after everything was cleaned and reassembled the car started and ran normally for about 45 seconds, then the same old stalling started again.

Last edited by norcalvp; 07-23-12 at 09:47 PM.
Old 07-23-12, 09:46 PM
norcalvp
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by Megafast13
Did he recently disconnect the battery terminals? It resets the RPM's ECU system which tends to idle WAY too low. Same thing will happen on my ES, and on many Camry's. Once it relearns his driving habits it shouldn't idle as low to the point of stalling out.

If he hasn't done anything with the battery recently than it probably is a legitimate engine/trans problem.

The battery was disconnected about two weeks ago when the starter was replaced (Not by me) He said that this is when his problem started. The car seems to struggle to start whether it's hot or cold. If he bumps the throttle it'll fire up. Once it is on, it'll go to a normal idle. There were a few times where it was idling just fine, then just cuts out. Every once in a while it will recover and return to a normal idle only to cut out 5-30 seconds later again.

Is there something that he needs to do for this idle re-learn? a certian amount of time or miles? He's been driving it for almost two weeks like this....

Thanks for the help!
Steve
Old 07-23-12, 10:40 PM
GS4_Fiend
Lexus Test Driver

Try changing the PCV. And check for vacuum leaks. Usually, stalling is caused by carbon on throttle butterfly.
Old 07-24-12, 08:46 AM
norcalvp
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by GS4_Fiend
Try changing the PCV. And check for vacuum leaks. Usually, stalling is caused by carbon on throttle butterfly.
Do i need to remove the intake manifold off to change the PCV? I think I saw it on therear valve cover under the manifold. I cleaned the throttle blade and both butterfly valves behind the throttle body pretty good. Is there anything else I should clean or inspect?

Thanks for the tips
Steve

Last edited by norcalvp; 07-24-12 at 10:42 AM.
Old 07-24-12, 10:45 AM
GS4_Fiend
Lexus Test Driver

No you dont need to just remove the valve
Old 07-24-12, 12:10 PM
Hayk
Lead Lap

Received 291 Likes on 230 Posts

Is there really no IACV on the 2002? The problem you're having is exactly what a dirty IACV would do.
Old 07-24-12, 01:23 PM
norcalvp
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by MrBooby
Is there really no IACV on the 2002? The problem you're having is exactly what a dirty IACV would do.
Not one that I could find..... All of the articles I found regarding cleaing the IAC Valve were 2001 and previous. It looks like the throttle body changed in 2002 and is not an electronic TB instead of the cable one from previous years. I'd be more than happy to clean it if someone would mind telling me where it was. The only two components on the TB with electrical hookups were the TB Actuator (some sort of gear reduction housing with safety torx bits) and the TPS sensor.
Old 07-24-12, 01:55 PM
SC400slide
In Recovery Mode

Received 33 Likes on 27 Posts

Originally Posted by norcalvp
Not one that I could find..... All of the articles I found regarding cleaing the IAC Valve were 2001 and previous. It looks like the throttle body changed in 2002 and is not an electronic TB instead of the cable one from previous years. I'd be more than happy to clean it if someone would mind telling me where it was. The only two components on the TB with electrical hookups were the TB Actuator (some sort of gear reduction housing with safety torx bits) and the TPS sensor.
2002 was the first year with the electric throttle on the ES so there is no IACV on you ES300.

What you can do is spray some intake cleaner on a rag and clean inside the throttle plate do remove dirt and grime out.

If the throttle body is dirty it will cause problems for sure!
Old 07-24-12, 02:16 PM
Hayk
Lead Lap

Received 291 Likes on 230 Posts

What if the car is not getting enough gas for the amount of air it's taking in? This would be caused my an unmetered air intake, right? This would only happen if there was a vacuum leak after the MAF sensor. Just throwing some ideas out. I would test for air leaks.
Old 07-24-12, 02:25 PM
SC400slide
In Recovery Mode

Yes, do a smoke test.
Old 07-24-12, 03:02 PM
norcalvp
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by SC400slide
Yes, do a smoke test.

I completely removed and cleaned the throttle body and the aluminum piece behind it that has the two butterfly valves in it. Both of these components were pretty clean before we started, but now both are squeaky clean.

Smoke test? I have never done a smoke test before. How would I go about doing that? Does this car have an EGR Valve? If so does anyone know where it is?
Old 07-24-12, 04:22 PM
SC400slide
In Recovery Mode

To find the EGR, refer to the vacuum hose routing sticker under the hood, find were it says "EGR", follow the green vacuum hose on the sticker and it will lead to the EGR under the hood.
The EGR is the saucer looking thing to the right of the throttle body, or above the EGR modulator.

A smoke test is when you place a smoke machine into a major vacuum line than smoke.
Look for smoke retreating and locate were it is.
It might be slight but in your case, it would be noticeable.
Smoke machines are around $50 at Pep-Boys, or have an Automotive store do it, (like pep-boys)
From what I know about the ES300, I think the 02 ES does have an EGR valve.
Refer to your vacuum hose sticker.
Cheers

Quick Reply: Stalling at Idle 2002 ES300, Trying to help a friend