ES - 1st to 4th Gen (1990-2006) Forum for all 1990 - 2006 ES300 and ES330 models. ES250 topics go here as well.

Question about Serpentine Belt

Search this Thread

Old 06-22-12, 07:48 PM
cyclop123
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Question about Serpentine Belt

So recently, my engine 3.0L V6 Engine (Stock I think) started making noises from the area of the alternator. I can't figure out which is broken, the belt or the alternator itself. When I looked at the serpentine belt, I notice there are two. One is connected to the alternator and one is underneath and closer to the engine. I'm new to this, so can anyone tell me the difference between the two belt and where the tensioner for the alternator belt is so that I can try to remove it and test to see if it's the alternator fault? Thanks. I'm totally new to my car, but sure love to learn.
Old 06-22-12, 09:39 PM
Power6
Lead Lap

Received 15 Likes on 13 Posts

Yup there are two belts there. The wider one up front is for the alternator and a/c compressor, the rearward thinner one runs the power steering pump. Typically a worn belt is the first suspect of noise coming from there. Do you get a squeal, especially with the a/c on? Worse on wet days? Those would be the sure symptoms of a worn alternator/ac belt.

It is not too hard to take off that belt, there is no specific tensioner on that alternator/ac belt, there is a tension bolt that adjusts the alternator itself to set the tension, typical of many japanese cars. You have to loosen the bolt on the pivot of the alternator, then loosen the bolt that clamps the tension bolt tight. Then you can loosen the tension bolt and push the alternator down until you can get the belt off the pullies. Probably a lot to visualize there but if you give it a try it will make sense. The access is a bit tight in there, I dismounted the small fuse box over the headlight and moved that out of the way to have better access to the tension bolt.