ES - 1st to 4th Gen (1990-2006) Forum for all 1990 - 2006 ES300 and ES330 models. ES250 topics go here as well.

Coolant drain and refill for 97-01

Search this Thread

Old 05-06-13, 09:48 AM
Hayk
Lead Lap

Received 291 Likes on 230 Posts

If I remember correctly, my bolt was fairly hard to turn as well. You should be okay, it's better to leave it than to risk breaking it off and having to retap the hole.

Possible causes: it's closer to the elements (salt water, heat, road grime, etc). It may also have never been opened.
Old 07-14-13, 08:44 AM
carlover
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 2000 Lexus ES300 rear drain plug location image

Originally Posted by MrBooby
You mentioned 3 drain plugs. I'm guessing you mean this:

#1 Radiator Drain Plug
#2 Next to the Oil Filter
#3 Next to the Transaxle/Y-Pipe

Hope this helps

GREAT PIC! Thanks for taking the time to add the pointers. I saw a bunch of pics before this, but now I get it. Couldn't have done this without the image. Cheers
Old 08-24-13, 03:38 PM
imherenow
Racer

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts

ok i did the coolant change today. went to the dealer and got the pre-diluted one but its not 50/50. Instead its 55/45 mixed. Service guy said mixed can also be used . Its not mixture i am concerned but the stuff in it. Plus saved like $15. Anyways went ahead and changed it.
few things i noticed
1) mine only came out total of 8 Liters (2.1Gallon)
2) didnt need tube for front radiator drain
3) After filling into the radiator cap i thought the rest of it will go into the coolant container. But i actually spilled some. This wasnt mentioned here.
So after filling the radiator cap to almost full you have to then pour some into the coolant reservoir till it reached "full" level.
Have to thank you guys for this great and simple DIY.
One more thing where is the coolant temperature sensor located. Anyone show me with a pic would be great.
Attached Thumbnails Coolant drain and refill for 97-01-dscf0454.jpg   Coolant drain and refill for 97-01-dscf0456.jpg   Coolant drain and refill for 97-01-dscf0459.jpg  
Old 08-24-13, 05:53 PM
Hayk
Lead Lap

8 liters sounds about right, that's how much I got out of mine. Usually higher concentrations are used in colder climates, such as 60/40 in Canada, so that's a bit odd. Was your new coolant red or pink? I've never seen such a container before,
Old 08-24-13, 07:03 PM
imherenow
Racer

this is pink colour.
I was reading toyota for owners site and it clearly mentions ... here i am copy pasting it :

Service Fluids

Toyota Super Long Life Antifreeze/Coolant
This special pink formula provides maximum protection without the use of harmful silicates. It’s extremely durable and was developed specifically to meet the requirements of your Toyota’s engine.

• Compatibility with non-metallic materials helps it extend the life of water pump seals
• Won’t corrode aluminum surfaces like coolants that contain borate
• Won’t clog radiators due to silicone "gelling"
• Pre-diluted 50/50
• Compatible with Toyota red Long Life Antifreeze/Coolant

it clearly says compatible with RED too. so there is no worries whether you used pink or red before.
Old 08-24-13, 07:36 PM
Hayk
Lead Lap

Originally Posted by imherenow
this is pink colour.
I was reading toyota for owners site and it clearly mentions ... here i am copy pasting it :

Service Fluids

Toyota Super Long Life Antifreeze/Coolant
This special pink formula provides maximum protection without the use of harmful silicates. It’s extremely durable and was developed specifically to meet the requirements of your Toyota’s engine.

• Compatibility with non-metallic materials helps it extend the life of water pump seals
• Won’t corrode aluminum surfaces like coolants that contain borate
• Won’t clog radiators due to silicone "gelling"
• Pre-diluted 50/50
• Compatible with Toyota red Long Life Antifreeze/Coolant

it clearly says compatible with RED too. so there is no worries whether you used pink or red before.
You probably have nothing to worry about, I just stuck with the original red fluid, since that's what I read on this forum. It's also available at my local auto parts store, so I don't have to special order it or drive a long distance to get it. The only hassle is mixing it with distilled water. In the end, it's better to have fresh new pink coolant, than any old fluid you had in there.
Old 08-24-13, 09:35 PM
LeX2K
Lexus Champion

Received 2,701 Likes on 2,287 Posts

Compatible means chemically, not that PINK can replace RED. But the only way to know for sure is to run super long life coolant long term, at least 5 years. I chose to use what the car came with because I don't want my cooling system to be a test subject.

One thing I do know is I've seen engines that have used RED coolant since day one and are over 20 years old, not a single deposit the system is perfectly clean.
Old 08-24-13, 09:59 PM
imherenow
Racer

well obviously its not the colour but the chemicals. But In any case never knew this topic about red and pink coolant is just so widespread and so many views.
Well since this is my 1st time "switching over" i will have to keep a close eye.
Also you guys ever changed the coolant temp sensor?
Old 09-05-13, 12:43 PM
lifendet
Driver School Candidate

Default bolt

Anyone know the part number for the rear plug for coolant flush on the back of the block..Mines stripped out and lexus parts department cant find it.They saying it comes with the block and not suppose to come out which I know is bs..need help asap
Old 09-05-13, 01:53 PM
Hayk
Lead Lap

Originally Posted by lifendet
Anyone know the part number for the rear plug for coolant flush on the back of the block..Mines stripped out and lexus parts department cant find it.They saying it comes with the block and not suppose to come out which I know is bs..need help asap
Well technically they're right. It's just a bolt that screws into the block. If I remember correctly, it's 12mm, so all you need to find out is its thread pitch. Sorry can't help you there.
Old 09-05-13, 01:55 PM
LeX2K
Lexus Champion

Received 2,701 Likes on 2,287 Posts

I believe the part number is 90910-09104. Use an old oil pan drain plug to restore the threads, or a tap if you can find one in the correct size. Put some silver anti-seize on the threads when installing. If the threads can't be repaired, then the plate 11271-20010 will have to be replaced, along with the gasket 25685-20010.

Always give your VIN to the dealer to make sure the above parts are the correct ones.
Old 09-05-13, 02:09 PM
Hayk
Lead Lap

I stand corrected. Also found it on Sewell.

@lifendet, what year ES do you own?
Old 09-09-13, 07:25 AM
lifendet
Driver School Candidate

Its a 96 es300
Old 09-10-13, 03:03 PM
lifendet
Driver School Candidate

Thks for the part numbers..Ordered and on its way..
Old 09-27-13, 06:07 AM
swhockey98
Driver School Candidate

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I just used this thread for my flush and re-fill yesterday for a 99 ES, thank you so much for the write up. I managed to get 7.75L from both the radiator and front drain plugs, but I could not find the rear drain plug no matter how hard I looked. Do I need to be concerned with mixing the old red factory coolant with the new? As I was draining the old coolant, I observed it for debris and sediments and found hardly anything.

Quick Reply: Coolant drain and refill for 97-01