ES - 1st to 4th Gen (1990-2006) Forum for all 1990 - 2006 ES300 and ES330 models. ES250 topics go here as well.

My new 2001 ES300

Search this Thread

Old 05-07-12, 05:54 PM
Power6
Lead Lap

Received 15 Likes on 13 Posts
Default My new 2001 ES300

Hey all just wanted to say hi. I picked up a 2001 ES300, 85k miles. Pretty good condition, nothing broken. Does need tires and I can tell it was hit in the rear corner, it looks to be repaired well but the right rear wheel is slightly tweaked. Seems like the strut is bent, the arms are all straight. I'm going to confirm that this week and get some new struts if that is the case.

I sold my 2009 WRX and bought this to take some time off from getting obsessed with my cars, and also so we can get a car for my wife with cash since we are moving out to the suburbs. The WRX had a lot done: custom valved Bilstein suspension, bars, bushings everywhere, brakes, stereo, sound deadening, various JDM parts and on it was always some project I was working on. It handled sweet

I bought a house so I want to take some time for the new projects that will come with that. It will be hard for me to resist my nature. I became somewhat of an expert on swapping parts around for the 3G WRX, I figured out how to wire the JDM folding mirrors in the USDM car, and how to use cool Legacy keys with an Impreza.

The ES300 gets no performance mods. I did already source a set of JDM Windom mirrors I am going to pick up to give a try. I learned a lot with the Subarus about how the vendors put mirrors together. I got some other little tweaks in mind too but I'll leave it there, not in hurry to do any of these things as the new house comes first. Until then I am enjoying the Lexus ride!
Old 05-07-12, 06:14 PM
brucelee1
Racer

Received 87 Likes on 74 Posts

Very very nice.
Old 05-07-12, 06:54 PM
imherenow
Racer

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts

welcome and nice choice..but just one q..how did a wrx owner came about buying a lexus es..
Old 05-07-12, 07:02 PM
RXGS
Lexus Test Driver

Received 210 Likes on 171 Posts

Thats one hell of a change. The es300 is a great car, i love mine and it has t be one of the most under appreciated cars in the world
Old 05-07-12, 07:25 PM
Power6
Lead Lap

Originally Posted by imherenow
welcome and nice choice..but just one q..how did a wrx owner came about buying a lexus es..
haha yeah not conventional. I wanted something reliable, inexpensive and nice to drive daily. What better than a dressed up old Camry! Believe me everything about an old Lexus is nicer than a new Subaru. Well except the performance part. The ES is not bad but I slide off the seats in the corners ha. Still getting used to an auto trans too.

Maybe in a year or two I'll sell the wife on a Miata for the weekends or maybe when the new BRZ gets old enough. If my calculations are correct the ES300 should still be running great.
Old 05-08-12, 03:38 AM
reidcc
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Nice looking car!!!
Old 05-08-12, 08:14 PM
03 ES
Lexus Test Driver

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Clean! congrats and welcome.
Old 05-08-12, 08:46 PM
JSM
Driver

Sweet! Mind me asking what you paid?
Old 05-08-12, 09:07 PM
MrShim78
Driver

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

very nice and clean. those fog light are soo amazing i want them for my 97 es!!! yes how much did you pay? if you dont mind sharing...
Old 05-09-12, 05:51 AM
Power6
Lead Lap

No problem sharing. I paid 9k. I bought from a dealer, who matched my Carmax offer for my WRX so I saved the sales tax. I am sure I paid more than I could have if I searched around and bought private so the convenience was good for me.

Service records on the Lexus site looked good, it was bought new locally, serviced at the local Lexus dealer the whole time. It looks like what happened, from reading the history, is the owner brought it in for squeaky belts, the dealer said they should do the 90k timing belt service, probably told him how much it would cost, and he traded on a new(er) Lexus instead.

Of course that means I am going to have to do the full on timing belt service soon...
Old 05-09-12, 06:59 AM
JSM
Driver

Originally Posted by Power6
Service records on the Lexus site looked good, it was bought new locally, serviced at the local Lexus dealer the whole time. It looks like what happened, from reading the history, is the owner brought it in for squeaky belts, the dealer said they should do the 90k timing belt service, probably told him how much it would cost, and he traded on a new(er) Lexus instead...
Can you share the link? I wasn't aware we could look up service records online?

EDIT: This one right: https://secure.drivers.lexus.com/lexusdrivers/home

I was hoping for more details...

Last edited by JSM; 05-09-12 at 07:17 AM.
Old 05-09-12, 07:11 AM
Power6
Lead Lap

Click this link

You can sign up and add a VIN for any Lexus. I added a few ES300s I was looking at before I bought to see the service records. I think only what was done at a Lexus dealer is going to show up.
Old 05-09-12, 08:23 AM
01LEXPL
Lead Lap

Received 68 Likes on 58 Posts

Congrats! Nice car, use Rockauto.com for parts, fuxk the dealer...
Old 05-10-12, 10:50 AM
3ztwint
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by gray_es300
Thats one hell of a change. The es300 is a great car, i love mine and it has t be one of the most under appreciated cars in the world
THIS. you will love this car. Not really for performance type things (but it is STILL not too far behind a new ES or acura TL, etc in terms of HP (210 vs say 260-270) and handling) but I feel that if driven right you can get 26-30 mpg, and it still carries the lexus name with a bargain price, while still retaining modern looks where the average person can't even tell its that old. SO, yeah, very underrated, if these cars were priced according to their reliability and how well they hold up over the years in terms of quality parts/construction, they would be 2-3x what they are going for now (but hey, that just means you can buy a two of them instead of just one, that what I did!)

J
Old 05-10-12, 11:52 AM
Power6
Lead Lap

True I knew what I was getting into. The 260 stock HP in a WRX was waaaay beyond the 210 in this ES300...but it gets the job done and being a V6 it is smooth and nice torque and really I don't need any more than that in my daily. I specifically like this generation. I also considered the Acura TL Type-S they are a similar price for 02-03, 260hp VTEC with a 5 spd auto. But they also generally eat a trans every 50k miles so I went with the more pedestrian Lexus for less trouble.

Just about the fill up the tank second time tonight so I can check mileage, I have done a mix of driving. WRX was about 20 in the same driving, here's hoping the Lexus can beat that! Mileage is not a big deal, I looked at a new Camry Hybrid, 40MPG or better and faster than an ES300, but 32k with all the stuff I'd want, I can buy a lot of gas for that money! Maybe in a few years I'll get one of those the wife and I would like to hedge our bets with future oil prices.

Quick Reply: My new 2001 ES300