ES - 1st to 4th Gen (1990-2006) Forum for all 1990 - 2006 ES300 and ES330 models. ES250 topics go here as well.

04 ES330 - CD changer and iSimple adapter not recognized

Search this Thread

Old 05-05-12, 03:32 PM
khnitz
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 04 ES330 - CD changer and iSimple adapter not recognized

I'm helping a friend resolve an issue he's seeing with his ES330. He previously had an iSimple adapter installed for iPod and Aux input via the satellite radio port. He started getting static on the iPod audio, and decided that he needed to replace the iPod cable to the PXAMG adapater. After having that work done, his CD changer was no longer recognized (press the CD button to access the Changer, and nothing), and his iPod adapter wasn't recognized either.

Another friend of his found that the flex connection between the power board of the CD changer and the CD shuttle/drive had stressed and cracked through 3 lines, so he bought another changer off of eBay. At this point, I stepped in to try and figure out what was going on - but still no luck.

The PXAMG iPod adapter is not recognized when pressing the SAT button on the radio, and the "new" CD changer is not recognized either. It's not powering up, either (the eject button is not backlit when the ignition is On).

He has the navigation headunit.

My first question is, does anyone have the audio-system circuit / wiring diagram for this vehicle? The only ones I've been able to find do not cover a system-wide connection (radio - amplifier - CD changer - speakers). I want to be able to diagnose the lines from the radio to the CD changer.

I'm wondering if some connector between the radio and the CD changer in the center console was unplugged during his other friend's repair attempt. I've checked all the audio system fuses outlined in the owner's manual and they all checked out fine.

Anyone know if a CD changer from another model is also compatbile with this stereo (even if it won't fit in the center console)? I'd just like to check if the CD changer port of the radio still works AT ALL. The CD changer's connector (at the changer) looks familar - like the CD changer port connector on the radio of similar-vintage Toyota's, I'm wondering if the CD changer protocol is the same where an iSimple PXDX plugged in directly at the CD changer end of the cable (with a PXHTY1 or PXHTY3 cable) would be recognized correctly by this radio.

Thanks for any help!

Last edited by khnitz; 05-05-12 at 03:36 PM.
Old 02-13-14, 03:15 PM
Dougg62
Driver School Candidate

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default ES330 Radio Issues

Did you or your friend ever resolve this issue? I am having the same issue with my 2004 ES330.

A few years ago had an aftermarket iphone adaptor put in to be able to play music through the radio, I think the unit was a Vaistech. It would play.music and charge the phone but was not controlled on the Navigation unit.

A few weeks ago the unit, after playing fine for a few years, started to give off static when the phone was connected. So I took it into the shop that installed it and told them I needed a new cable and they agreed.

When it was originally installed the unit had a cable run out of the dash. To change input I pressed the AM/SAT button and it went from AM>SAT>SAT2>SAT3. SAT & SAT2 were both satellite, AM was AM radio and SAT3 was the input for the phone.

When the installers tried to replace they able to get satellite radio. They tried another cable then another brand and still the same. They sent the radio to a local repair shop and tried again today to install it but the same result (do not think the local repair shop did anything).

Was you friend ever able to get his unit working and if so, how? Thanks.