ES - 1st to 4th Gen (1990-2006) Forum for all 1990 - 2006 ES300 and ES330 models. ES250 topics go here as well.

Caliper Painting ?

Search this Thread

Old 04-26-12, 11:36 PM
AntzCro
Driver

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Caliper Painting ?

Hey guys,
After getting my new set of wheels, because the spokes are thin i wanted to paint my calipers red to match the pinstripe on the inside dish of the rim. So i was wondering if it is better to mask everything up and paint it with the caliper while it is still on the rotor or should i jack up my car and take all four calipers off and paint them ? What is the best approach in your opinion ?
Old 04-26-12, 11:49 PM
Hayk
Lead Lap

Received 291 Likes on 230 Posts

Originally Posted by AntzCro
Hey guys,
After getting my new set of wheels, because the spokes are thin i wanted to paint my calipers red to match the pinstripe on the inside dish of the rim. So i was wondering if it is better to mask everything up and paint it with the caliper while it is still on the rotor or should i jack up my car and take all four calipers off and paint them ? What is the best approach in your opinion ?
I recently painted mine. I unbolted the calipers and brackets, but left the brake lines connected. I was able to paint everything, but it could have been done a lot more efficiently by completely removing the brakes from the car. It also depends on whether you're using a spray can or a brush and a can of paint. I used a brush, so masking wasn't that important.
Old 04-26-12, 11:53 PM
AntzCro
Driver

Originally Posted by MrBooby
I recently painted mine. I unbolted the calipers and brackets, but left the brake lines connected. I was able to paint everything, but it could have been done a lot more efficiently by completely removing the brakes from the car. It also depends on whether you're using a spray can or a brush and a can of paint. I used a brush, so masking wasn't that important.
I'm planning on removing them totally so i can get a better and more even coat.
I'll be using a spray can so i'll have to mask it.
It seems like it would be a lot easier to apply the paint with the calipers totally off and hanging on some wire.
How did yours turn out ?
Old 04-27-12, 10:42 AM
smee
Driver

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

EEngineer painted his, he posted pics of the process here:
https://www.clublexus.com/forums/6475272-post30.html

Good luck! I will be doing the same to my calipers soon as well.
Old 04-27-12, 10:50 AM
EEngineer
Lexus Test Driver

Received 7 Likes on 4 Posts

if the calipers are on your car just keep the brake line attached. clean off all the crap on it and spray away with everything else covered. don't over spray into the wheel wheel or any other components and it'll come out fine.
Old 04-27-12, 10:58 AM
Hayk
Lead Lap

I'm planning on removing them totally so i can get a better and more even coat.
I'll be using a spray can so i'll have to mask it.
It seems like it would be a lot easier to apply the paint with the calipers totally off and hanging on some wire.
How did yours turn out ?
They turned out great, but I don't think they will last that long.

I didn't do a very good job prepping them - just scrubbed with a wire brush and sprayed with a can of brake cleaner.

If you get them off the car, you should be able to do a much better job.
Old 04-28-12, 03:46 AM
AntzCro
Driver

Originally Posted by EEngineer
if the calipers are on your car just keep the brake line attached. clean off all the crap on it and spray away with everything else covered. don't over spray into the wheel wheel or any other components and it'll come out fine.
They are on my car so i will most likley be masking everything up and taking my time because i want a nice finish and a good look.

Originally Posted by MrBooby
They turned out great, but I don't think they will last that long.

I didn't do a very good job prepping them - just scrubbed with a wire brush and sprayed with a can of brake cleaner.

If you get them off the car, you should be able to do a much better job.
Would you recommend high pressure cleaning after applying caliper cleaner and wax/grease remover ?

Last edited by AntzCro; 04-28-12 at 03:48 AM. Reason: incorrect spelling.
Old 04-28-12, 06:49 AM
01LEXPL
Lead Lap

Received 68 Likes on 58 Posts

I never mask anything, and use generic anti-rust paint (tremclad). They last well over a year but the winters starts ruining them.

I sand them quickly, scuff pad, hit it brake cleaner, then spray in small coats.

If it gets on the rotor (which it will) it burns off as you drive it anyways. Been doing this for years now. *again with regular black spray paint, not high heat*
Old 04-28-12, 05:49 PM
AntzCro
Driver

Originally Posted by 01LEXPL
I never mask anything, and use generic anti-rust paint (tremclad). They last well over a year but the winters starts ruining them.

I sand them quickly, scuff pad, hit it brake cleaner, then spray in small coats.

If it gets on the rotor (which it will) it burns off as you drive it anyways. Been doing this for years now. *again with regular black spray paint, not high heat*
If you were to overspray it wouldn't be that visible though, would it ?
Because i fear over spraying with red paint and making it look bad.
The first time you painted them, did you mask anything ?
Old 04-28-12, 06:30 PM
Hayk
Lead Lap

Do it once and do it right. I suggest you unbolt them and clean them up before painting. Applying thin coats would be a lot easier if you had them hanging on a rack of some sort, instead of worrying about overspray.
Old 04-28-12, 06:36 PM
01LEXPL
Lead Lap

Received 68 Likes on 58 Posts

If you were to overspray it wouldn't be that visible though, would it ?
Because i fear over spraying with red paint and making it look bad.
The first time you painted them, did you mask anything ?
No, since I was using black. With red I'd at least throw a towel loosely over the suspension/rotor and don't spray close but from a small distance.

I don't cover anything since I paint using black.

We're not reinventing the wheel here, this is literally a 5min process for all four wheels once the rims are off, sanding taking most of the time. Your in Australia, if my "ghetto" way of painting lasts a year when it's exposed to salt/slush/snow for an easy 4mos. It's says a lot about spending copious amounts of time prepping it. Granted I would've taken an extra 10mins the first time around to have it last a little longer - but whatever I hit it with paint with each winter/summer rim change.
Old 04-28-12, 06:51 PM
AntzCro
Driver

Originally Posted by 01LEXPL
No, since I was using black. With red I'd at least throw a towel loosely over the suspension/rotor and don't spray close but from a small distance.

I don't cover anything since I paint using black.

We're not reinventing the wheel here, this is literally a 5min process for all four wheels once the rims are off, sanding taking most of the time. Your in Australia, if my "ghetto" way of painting lasts a year when it's exposed to salt/slush/snow for an easy 4mos. It's says a lot about spending copious amounts of time prepping it. Granted I would've taken an extra 10mins the first time around to have it last a little longer - but whatever I hit it with paint with each winter/summer rim change.
Thanks for the help
I'll keep this in mind for when i start to paint them
Much appreciated.