ES - 1st to 4th Gen (1990-2006) Forum for all 1990 - 2006 ES300 and ES330 models. ES250 topics go here as well.

Need A/c Help 97 Es!

Search this Thread

Old 05-07-12, 01:25 PM
3ztwint
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by R1R
Update:

So, yesterday I had a very strange problem. The passenger side was blowing cool and the drivers side was blowing hot. That has never happened before.

I ended up taking my car to my mechanic this morning and the car took one whole can of Freon. The sight glass had bubbles in it before, and now it is all clear.

The 2ES and 3ES hold about 850 +/- 50 grams of Freon, so it takes about 2.5 12 oz cans to fill. So, basically my car was slightly more than half full before I took it in.

Everything seems to be working okay so far and the air is freezing cold. I wish that I had a temperature gauge to measure it, but anyways I will post an update if the car stays fixed or not.
R1R,

Sorry to have not updated yet, but I'm still workin' on it, I've actually spent most of my free time last week rebuilding a carb and tuning up a lawnmower that I was given so I guess I've been lazy on the A/C fix. For yours it sounds like the low freon was it, especially when you can confirm it via the site glass. Mine is likely the EV as I was talking to my dad about it too, and I for the life of me could not figure out how an expansion valve could be only "partially plugged" or could only work part time; what we figured was that when the orafice of the EV is partially blocked, it can keep up when the condenser is still below operating temp, but as the car/outside warms up then it can no longer keep up. I don't know for sure, but the past few times I've started it up the A/c worked great for the whole drive home, but this was at night when it was cool out. I think Im gonna get it to the point where the A/c stops working and then put a gauge on it to see if I get a large pressure differential from the low to high side (i.e. maybe one side will be running a near vacuum while the other has sky high pressure) Don't know for sure, but I think the EV is the most likely culprit from what I've read on here, but with it being intermittent I don't know that I could completely rule out some sort of CPU/electrical issue; any additional advice would be most appreciated guys, especially before I go out and rip open my dash!

THanks!
J
Old 05-08-12, 08:43 AM
R1R
Driver

Originally Posted by 3ztwint
R1R,

Sorry to have not updated yet, but I'm still workin' on it, I've actually spent most of my free time last week rebuilding a carb and tuning up a lawnmower that I was given so I guess I've been lazy on the A/C fix. For yours it sounds like the low freon was it, especially when you can confirm it via the site glass. Mine is likely the EV as I was talking to my dad about it too, and I for the life of me could not figure out how an expansion valve could be only "partially plugged" or could only work part time; what we figured was that when the orafice of the EV is partially blocked, it can keep up when the condenser is still below operating temp, but as the car/outside warms up then it can no longer keep up. I don't know for sure, but the past few times I've started it up the A/c worked great for the whole drive home, but this was at night when it was cool out. I think Im gonna get it to the point where the A/c stops working and then put a gauge on it to see if I get a large pressure differential from the low to high side (i.e. maybe one side will be running a near vacuum while the other has sky high pressure) Don't know for sure, but I think the EV is the most likely culprit from what I've read on here, but with it being intermittent I don't know that I could completely rule out some sort of CPU/electrical issue; any additional advice would be most appreciated guys, especially before I go out and rip open my dash!

THanks!
J
Thanks for the update. I will keep you updated on my car as well. It has been around 5 days and everything seems to be working okay so far. I called around and my A/C shop wants around $700 to replace the expansion valve and receiver dryer. I think most of the labor involves taking apart the passenger side of the dash. If I can do that myself, I think that I can save a lot of money. If you do decide to do it, please take some pictures of the process. It would be really helpful.

This should help as well, it shows what needs to be taken apart:

http://www.justanswer.com/uploads/sn...r_remove_2.pdf
Old 05-10-12, 11:02 AM
3ztwint
Driver School Candidate

Talking

Originally Posted by R1R
Thanks for the update. I will keep you updated on my car as well. It has been around 5 days and everything seems to be working okay so far. I called around and my A/C shop wants around $700 to replace the expansion valve and receiver dryer. I think most of the labor involves taking apart the passenger side of the dash. If I can do that myself, I think that I can save a lot of money. If you do decide to do it, please take some pictures of the process. It would be really helpful.

This should help as well, it shows what needs to be taken apart:

http://www.justanswer.com/uploads/sn...r_remove_2.pdf
Awesome, thanks for taking the time to find that buddy! I actually do have an update, I was talking to my buddy who is an engineer and a pretty bright guy, and he thought that maybe I actually had a issue like yours where the freon was too low, however I filled it too much b/c I put about 1.75 cans in it, so his theory is that it blows ice cold until it reaches operating temp and then the high pressure limit switch shuts it down. Not sure if this will be true, but I did find the sight glass (right up by the radiator/high port and will be going to get a manifold gauge to test both sides to see for sure if: A. I am too high on freon overall and just need to bleed some off OR B: that I am getting large pressure differentials from high to low (IE lower than spec on the low side and much higher than spec on the high side) to rule out an expansion valve issue. It was just bugging me that it would be an intermittent thing since I generally consider a small orafice like the EV to be either plugged or not plugged since its such a small opening. anyone with more insight feel free to chime in.