ES - 1st to 4th Gen (1990-2006) Forum for all 1990 - 2006 ES300 and ES330 models. ES250 topics go here as well.

Advice Needed: 2001 ES300 new Motor or Fix

Search this Thread

Old 10-14-12, 02:19 PM
JSM
Driver

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by MrBooby
JSM, just a word of advice, double check all your engine block ground connections. A lot of time, JY engines are heavily corroded from sitting for too long, which will cause a lot of computer issues.
Yep will do. I'm not re-using the JY harness anyway. I totally fubared it up when i removed the engine at the JY.
Old 10-16-12, 06:30 PM
JSM
Driver

Got the engine mount on and replaced the exhaust manifold and gasket. With the motor out i'm assuming now is the best time to replace the heat hoses. Is there anything else while the motor is out that is easy to get at now and should be replaced?

Also the two yellow circles are the VVTi bolts where the filters are correct? I want to clean those while the motor is out too.

Old 10-18-12, 01:48 PM
JSM
Driver

So my 18 year old son calls me and says he knocked the motor down..... after regain my cool I go home immediately as I'm so upset. I think his weight on the sketchy dolly wheel caused the caster to give out.

On my way home, I asked myself how my dad would have handled it and did the exact opposite. I used it as a time to wittness to him and explain how God forgives us of our sins when we come to him and ask. I simply looked at him and said, "Son, I forgive you. It never happened." He quickly gave me a big hug and said I'm sorry.

Looks like most of the strees went on my little box wrench tool box. Appears that TPS is dead and so is the o2 sensor. Hopefully that's it. Fortuneately I have both parts from my other motor.

Old 10-20-12, 07:01 PM
JSM
Driver

Well I got the TPS switched and the o2 sensor replaced. Installed the engine wire harness, new Bank 1spark plugs, and installed the Bank 1 coils. Got more parts coming in the mail.

When I pulled the JY motor, I killed the connector on the oil sensor guage. I was going to steal the one from my old motor. I took it out and it is so nasty. I think I might get another of those too.

I'm at the point now where I can install the motor so I think I might try putting it back in next Saturday.

Old 10-23-12, 05:34 PM
JSM
Driver

Yesterday I called lexus to get the part # on the oil level sensor. $447.xx! I about fell over in my chair! For a silly sensor? I'm going to clean my old one up and give it a shot. That is insanity.

On a side not I was messing the OCV filters and found my oil leak that was dumping oil on the trans. I thought it was the rear main seal. Seems the techs at lexus checked it when the car was being diagnosed and never tightened it back up!
Old 10-23-12, 06:58 PM
Hayk
Lead Lap

Received 291 Likes on 230 Posts

Originally Posted by JSM
Yesterday I called lexus to get the part # on the oil level sensor. $447.xx! I about fell over in my chair! For a silly sensor? I'm going to clean my old one up and give it a shot. That is insanity.

On a side not I was messing the OCV filters and found my oil leak that was dumping oil on the trans. I thought it was the rear main seal. Seems the techs at lexus checked it when the car was being diagnosed and never tightened it back up!
Wow, they weren't lying. I wanted to see it for myself, so I looked it up on Sewell.

Part #: 89491-33030 MSRP $532.62 ($324.90 for CL Members). How does it work and what is it made of?
Old 10-25-12, 08:38 PM
JSM
Driver

Fixed a broken OCV connector, cleaned OCV screens, torqued the Crank pulley, installed remaining trans bolts and torqued. Started to clean my oil level sensor. I'm letting it soak in transmission fluid over night.

For the life of me i'm not sure how the sensor works. I thought for sure it was just a switch, but testing it with an OHM meter it didn't do a thing. It's stuck normally closed. Tested both with the same results.
Old 10-27-12, 07:19 PM
JSM
Driver

Got the oil level sensor cleaned the best I could, replaced the seal and installed it.

Also........... the ENGINE IS IN!

I was almost able to do it by myself. Had to get a neighbor to lower the motor while I massaged it in. Wasn't too bad.

I was so excited to be done by 2PM today, I screwed off the rest of the day!
Old 11-03-12, 05:13 PM
JSM
Driver

Got the axles in, control arms back on, PS pump on, A/C cmopressor and Altenator on. It seemed to take forever! I ended up having an extra bracket left over from the Alt. Took me forever to find where it went until I looked in the book! Doh!

My new completion date is Nov. 14th! I'd like to use the car for my wifes Birthday.
Old 11-03-12, 08:25 PM
Hayk
Lead Lap

Received 291 Likes on 230 Posts

How did you deal with the A/C system? Did you leave it pressurised while swapping engines?
Old 11-04-12, 09:16 AM
JSM
Driver

Originally Posted by MrBooby
How did you deal with the A/C system? Did you leave it pressurised while swapping engines?
Yes sir. Set it between the front engine mount and the radiator sub-frame. Same with the PS pump but on the side sub-frame.
Old 11-07-12, 05:14 PM
JSM
Driver

Got the belts on, alt wires connected, replaced front spark plugs, installed coil packs, installed exhaust, installed torque converter bolts and cover.
Old 11-09-12, 03:25 PM
JSM
Driver

Busted my butt last night to get it going. Quit at 1AM and was able to start it today!

Old 11-09-12, 03:53 PM
LeX2K
Lexus Champion

Received 2,682 Likes on 2,272 Posts

Nice Must feel good.
Old 11-09-12, 05:37 PM
IamLexus
Intermediate

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Is it just the camera or me, I could not even hear a noise from the engine at all. it was very stealthy.

Quick Reply: Advice Needed: 2001 ES300 new Motor or Fix