ES - 1st to 4th Gen (1990-2006) Forum for all 1990 - 2006 ES300 and ES330 models. ES250 topics go here as well.

Advice Needed: 2001 ES300 new Motor or Fix

Search this Thread

Old 04-11-12, 07:55 PM
Specter
Driver

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Damn !.... Why can't I even find deals like that ?.....
Old 04-11-12, 11:09 PM
LeX2K
Lexus Champion

Received 2,686 Likes on 2,274 Posts

Originally Posted by MrBooby
Wow that is just not fair, you practically robbed the guy.
Without a doubt. The car is worth that price with no engine at all.
Old 04-12-12, 11:20 AM
JSM
Driver

Awe shucks you guys are making me feel bad........ well, not really. I made a simple offer and he accepted it.

Kinda cool swung by the Lexus dealer today and they printed off every service record performed on the car since new. Some great info and history.

Our local dealership is amazing. They make you feel like a king when you go in there. Service is top notch.
Old 04-12-12, 09:12 PM
01LEXPL
Lead Lap

Received 68 Likes on 58 Posts

Originally Posted by Lexus2000
Without a doubt. The car is worth that price with no engine at all.
Serious. Id love to come across something like that... 400$ is the price of a quarter panel on these - used. I'd buy it and strip her down! maybe even engine rebuild with non-VVTI heads to accept a supercharger
Old 05-12-12, 07:08 PM
JSM
Driver

Well, I got a JY motor today from Upull it yard out a of 2000 ES300. I got lucky, I check Orlando, Tampa, and Daytona almost everyday and nothing. Thursday I found one in Tampa!

The absolute hardest part of the entire procedure was trying to get it back to the front some 300 yards to check out and then hand load into my truck. What an absolute pain. Started at 9:35AM and she was out by 1PM.

Home finally and off the truck. Good thing I have a lift!

Old 05-12-12, 07:25 PM
Hayk
Lead Lap

Received 291 Likes on 230 Posts

Nice work. Are planning to do a complete service before putting it back into the bay?
Old 05-13-12, 05:46 AM
dewso1
Driver

First of all, holy crap on the price you got it for.

That condition of the leather and paint, its making me drool.

And great to see you're working hard on getting it up to 100% again, it deserves it!

Btw, if you ever sell that steering wheel, give me a buzz first. That colour with the woodgrain is practically unsource-able here.
Old 05-13-12, 06:19 AM
JSM
Driver

Originally Posted by MrBooby
Nice work. Are planning to do a complete service before putting it back into the bay?
Yes if I need to use it. My current plan on the motor in my car is after a compression check to see if I can just replace my camshaft sprocket, camshaft keyway, set timing, clean the oil pick up screen and see how she runs.

I bought the motor for a few reasons if the above fails:
1. The parts! I can find the non-VVTi all day long, but these things are next to impossible without putting up some hefty money, at least in my mind.
2. The education I received. You learn a lot by doing this. I learn by sight very well vs. reading.
3. Cost, this motort only cost me $311! I'll bring back another core engine from my Datsun and get $75 back too off of that!

I was reading my motor diagnosis more from the dealer and the oil pick up screen was semi-clogged. Oil starvation is not good for bearings. This had me a little worried.

I should have done a compression check while the tranny was still attached but it's hard bringing a battery in to the JY. They get weird on certain things.

I did manually turn the engine over by hand to make sure it had some life in her and when i pulled the LH valve cover the engine was clean as can be, no sludge!

On the windshield it read: "Good motor, bad trans" I'm assuming this came in from the auction that way? Who knows. Milage is also unknown.
Old 05-13-12, 06:21 AM
JSM
Driver

Originally Posted by dewso1
First of all, holy crap on the price you got it for.

That condition of the leather and paint, its making me drool.

And great to see you're working hard on getting it up to 100% again, it deserves it!

Btw, if you ever sell that steering wheel, give me a buzz first. That colour with the woodgrain is practically unsource-able here.
Hopefully won't have to do that I'll keep my eye out in the JY for you though.
Old 05-13-12, 06:50 AM
ErikTheRed
Rookie

Have you found any 97-99 es300's in Orlando area Junkyards? I've been trying to find a few small parts (and possibly a passenger side headlight... damn Semi truck). but none of the ones around here with online inventory show anything available.
Old 05-13-12, 06:57 AM
JSM
Driver

Originally Posted by ErikTheRed
Have you found any 97-99 es300's in Orlando area Junkyards? I've been trying to find a few small parts (and possibly a passenger side headlight... damn Semi truck). but none of the ones around here with online inventory show anything available.
I find those more than mine. Just so you know, they don't keep an inventory other than the simple list. The car could be a burned up pile of rust. Clearwater has the better site. Also, sometimes there are cars that don't make it to the list. Sometimes I'll take a day off work and got hit all the yards by Tampa/St. Pete areas.

Here are the links to the LKQ yards so you can search. Just know they can be wrong. Mine was listed as a 99 even though it was 00:

Daytona:
http://www.lkqselfserve.com/location...h-225/recents/

St. Pete:
http://www.lkqselfserve.com/location...g-195/recents/

Orlando:
http://www.lkqselfserve.com/location...o-134/recents/

Tampa:
http://www.lkqselfserve.com/location...a-180/recents/

Clearwater:
http://lkq190.com/parked.php

Last edited by JSM; 05-13-12 at 07:02 AM. Reason: added more info
Old 05-13-12, 07:08 AM
YJC88
Driver

Yea, i would buy the whole interior, including the nice wood steering wheel, its headlight, bumper, grille, taillight for $475. Damn ... Not to mention the whole car
Old 05-13-12, 07:42 AM
ErikTheRed
Rookie

Thanks for the list, may have to hit the Orlando and Daytona ones next weekend. Would love to go today, but doubt my wife wants to spend Mother's Day exploring pull-it yards
..hmmm, on second thought, she'd never forget it (more like, never let ME forget it)
Old 05-13-12, 08:57 AM
JSM
Driver

Originally Posted by ErikTheRed
Thanks for the list, may have to hit the Orlando and Daytona ones next weekend. Would love to go today, but doubt my wife wants to spend Mother's Day exploring pull-it yards
..hmmm, on second thought, she'd never forget it (more like, never let ME forget it)
Totally understand! My big passion for cars are the early Datsuns. I'm constantly on the hunt!

Also forgot about this one. Again Inventory listed can be hit or miss, usually miss!

http://www.upullandpay.com/orlando/search-inventory
Old 05-13-12, 02:14 PM
DesmondMH
Driver School Candidate

Wow!!! That was a steal!! Good find!

Quick Reply: Advice Needed: 2001 ES300 new Motor or Fix