ES - 1st to 4th Gen (1990-2006) Forum for all 1990 - 2006 ES300 and ES330 models. ES250 topics go here as well.

Is this normal? (ES Starter)

Search this Thread

Old 04-08-12, 10:17 PM
Cybernetic
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Is this normal? (ES Starter)

I'm very new to the automotive repairs and the sort. So far, I've put on seat covers and installed a new stereo. That should kind of give you a sense of my car "smarts."

Recently, my Lexus has been clicking (once every turn) when I try to start it and requires multiple turns of the key to start. I've checked online and as I suspected the problem was most likely the starter. Tomorrow, I'll be getting the starter tested and buying a replacement if necessary.

My question concerns the difficulty in removing the starter. I was able to pull out the starter, but it requires a lot of awkward positions to remove bolts and nuts. Is it supposed to be like this? (I did not remove anything, but the battery). I looked up a guide to removing the starter, but in the video the starter was removed by removing the air filter container. When I tried to do it, I realized the cover was connected to another part that I have no idea as to how to remove. Is it possible to access and replace the starter in an easier way?

Video for reference:
[Video Timestamp - 1:20]
Old 04-09-12, 12:27 AM
Hayk
Lead Lap

Received 291 Likes on 230 Posts

Originally Posted by Cybernetic
I looked up a guide to removing the starter, but in the video the starter was removed by removing the air filter container. When I tried to do it, I realized the cover was connected to another part that I have no idea as to how to remove. Is it possible to access and replace the starter in an easier way?
I'm having problems visualizing what part you are talking about. Could you post a picture for reference?
Old 04-09-12, 12:51 PM
Cybernetic
Driver School Candidate

I looked up a video about spark plugs in the ES300 and the guy removed the air filter container. I tried that today and I was more easily able to remove the starter. For all those using this for reference: Remove the screw on the air filter hose and the air filter container will come right out.

Now I have a new problem: I was having problems with starting the car. It would make a sharp click noise when I tried to start it. Now, I removed the starter, had it tested (passed) , put it back in, and tightened the bolts (remove possibility of grounding issues). The issue persists. What do I do now?
Old 04-09-12, 03:23 PM
GS4_Fiend
Lexus Test Driver

Received 86 Likes on 69 Posts

I would get your battery tested. Weak battery will cause fast clicking noise coming from the start solenoid. Also check battery connections and grounds for looseness
Old 04-10-12, 12:54 PM
Cybernetic
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by GS4_Fiend
I would get your battery tested. Weak battery will cause fast clicking noise coming from the start solenoid. Also check battery connections and grounds for looseness
I removed the starter again and I tightened the connection. It seemed to do the job. So for all those using this for reference: Clean the area where the starter is grounded (the bolt locations) and tighten the solenoid connection.
Old 04-10-12, 01:12 PM
GS4_Fiend
Lexus Test Driver

Received 86 Likes on 69 Posts

Originally Posted by Cybernetic
I removed the starter again and I tightened the connection. It seemed to do the job. So for all those using this for reference: Clean the area where the starter is grounded (the bolt locations) and tighten the solenoid connection.
Your issue was a bad ground. Good find