ES - 1st to 4th Gen (1990-2006) Forum for all 1990 - 2006 ES300 and ES330 models. ES250 topics go here as well.

My progression

Search this Thread

Old 06-09-13, 08:57 PM
01LEXPL
Lead Lap

Received 68 Likes on 58 Posts

Originally Posted by MrBooby
This is why I love this community so much. We have people who don't mind spending a few grand on their car, even if it's more than half the car's value, because they know it will provide them with years of trouble free motoring. I gotta say, I'm not a big fan of chrome wheels, but the factory design that you currently have, looks very good. In fact, your car looks flawless in that picture.
Thanks! To be honest, the only reason that I proceeded with the repair was because I 'married' the car. With my countless things changed, more so over the last three years, I've sunken thousands into it. To the point the original components now are the body/leather/motor. All else was changed, 98% of the suspension, all fluids always monitored, brakes a few times and all [iirc] calipers, etc.

The opportunity cost of fixing greatly outweighed selling 'as is' and seeing all that maintenance go to waste, not to mention money dumped into decent/good parts all around which would never be recovered in a quick sale.

My next option [feasible] would be a '01 GS430 base model, BUT to get it to my par/appearance like my ES, I'd end up dumping a few grand into it for; another 'old' Lexus, two generations behind model, unknown issues, and the same year of my current car. And anything under 20k [I'm a bargain hunter], 07-08 GS350 wasn't up to par either.

Everyone has their own taste regarding wheels, I get FAR more compliments with the chromes than I ever did with my Enkei's or my old 18s. To each his own. Frankly these were the only ones avail for 'fair' money, all others wanted 1200$ for a set of well used/curbed ES350 17" [original intention], can't source GS350's like yours, and the GS3/4/430 wheels were hard to come by and I didn't want to mess about with spacers & such. Not to mention, these were bare, so I got new rubber [cheaper for 16" & ride quality], an was good to go.

This car will hopefully continue to serve its purpose as long as possible, if not at least 250k miles.
Old 06-10-13, 04:31 PM
RXGS
Lexus Test Driver

Received 210 Likes on 171 Posts

^everything you said is my reasoning, only difference is I bought a gs300 and now I have two. Thin is I got a great deal on the gs300 with all dealer records
Old 07-01-13, 08:32 AM
Power6
Lead Lap

Received 15 Likes on 13 Posts

Originally Posted by 01LEXPL
Also, bought a deck, still have to mess around with getting a new dash kit and figure out all the wiring fiasco's posted on these forums... spent hours researching/looking/asking installer guys about these cars. Ugh. Not fun, the OE sub/amp really messes things around, but I will find a 100% reversible solution. Local pick'n'pull has a 98 in their yard so I'm going to gut some pigtails out of these to make a clean as possible solution for the amp/sub....
Careful the 97-98 has different wiring/plugs at the deck than the 99-01. Amp plugs I believe are the same though.

I did similar to this when I wired up my JDM mirrors, I made a plug and play t-harness that plugs between the amp plug and the amp, it takes power from the amp lines for the various accessories I am running. I can use it in the future to intercept the speaker feeds and run my own amp.

I found various forward and reverse radio plug and amp bypass sets from Metra that will have what you need to make up your own plug and play wiring. Let us know what you are trying to do exactly, I may be able to help with some spare plugs or part numbers for the Metra stuff.

BTW curious how the LEDs work, they always look extra bright in the pictures. Our cars are old so I think they have a variable voltage rather than PWM dimmer which means LEDs aren't dimmed very well. Not really my taste I am just curious, I have replaced a number of the stock bulbs that have burnt out.
Old 07-29-13, 04:52 AM
imherenow
Racer

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts

naw doesnt look good. destroys the original taste. sure its a new approach but not worth it. What you could have done instead is to have bright rear fog light ( maybe one or on both side) that can be switched on when needed according to the weather.
Old 07-29-13, 07:37 AM
01LEXPL
Lead Lap

^ you're one to talk "taste"... Any and every chrome stick-on accessory from pepboys makes it on your car lmao. If MrBooby or Power6 said the same, I'd actually somewhat value their opinion...

And regarding the fog, I don't do ghetto looking ****, if I wanted it to be a euro car, I'd actually order the OE Japanese inner piece from Japan to make it look right - replaces one reverse bulb.
Old 07-29-13, 08:41 AM
seyelabrev
Driver

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

FFFFFFresh!
Old 07-29-13, 09:20 AM
imherenow
Racer

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts

when it comes to taste every one has their opinion.
I am just saying because the light output from the pic is not even looking. plus the top lens cover is different from top compare to bottom.
oh and i didn't know about the that the OE Japanese inner piece thing.
Old 09-20-13, 03:36 PM
RXGS
Lexus Test Driver

Personally i would have done one of those double din? type things with the GPS ect, but this looks very nice to. Your car has always been one of my favorites on the forum. One of the few thats been here longer then mine haha. Keep yours as long as possible these are great cars.
Old 09-20-13, 04:28 PM
01LEXPL
Lead Lap

^ I wanted one with GPS, go big or go home. But the one I wanted was like 800$, and this is a kenwood that retailed last year at 350$ or so.

It ended up working out that a double I was to buy fell through, sketchy seller, so I said screw it and went with this. At least now I have a tray to keep my phone as opposed to the ashtray.
Old 09-20-13, 09:22 PM
seyelabrev
Driver

This comes as a surprise to me. Of all people, I thought you would keep things nearly to the "stock" look. Congrats on your new stereo btw.
Old 09-21-13, 01:26 PM
01LEXPL
Lead Lap

^ I might be getting some burlwood vinyl to go over the dash kit

The stereo is dated, I never cared for it, and I never seem to rush with stuff. I buy it when I buy it, next up is a little sub/amp combo to replace the factory 8", not sure when, most likely when the stars align and I find a deal!
Old 09-22-13, 07:12 PM
Power6
Lead Lap

Received 15 Likes on 13 Posts

Which Kenwood is that? I think you made the right choice, nobody makes a double-DIN audiophile quality unit anyways, Double-DIN is for people who like whirling graphics not music ;-)

I am giving away my Excelon KDC-x994 this week to a buddy, bought it refurb'd years ago cheap and that thing has 24-bit DAC with iPod bypass, 3 pre-outs, time alignment, tons of crossover slopes and EQ settings. The new ones have HD Radio and more in addition. Was tough not to go down the road of putting it in the ES.

BTW you could put real wood veneer over that dash kit, I think it isn't too hard, probably matching the finish may be the toughest part. I have a sheet of birds eye maple, not too expensive, but I haven't actually tried vennering anything. From what I have seen the stock tone is just due to the clear coat, it is not stained underneath.

Last edited by Power6; 09-22-13 at 07:17 PM.
Old 09-23-13, 10:20 AM
01LEXPL
Lead Lap

It's a KDC-BT948HD. Funny thing is I was going to get the Excelon KDC-x994 [that you gave away] but this one came up as I didn't make it in time to put in a bid for it [got it on ebay]

I still have to work out a couple of features to fine tune it, but it's wicked out of the box, not to mention it works PNP with the iPhone 5! I was half expecting it being 'too old' for it, but it plugs in and works like a charm, the BT is very clear. And of course KW makes really good equipment from what I was told. I'm not an audiophile but the system needed an update - It was and is good compared to some entry level cars today, but the missing BT, AUX & iPod capabilities make a new HU the only option of getting that stuff.

I wish there was a swift way for me to redo the existing factory unit, but the value wasn't there with each module costing more that what I got the KW for.... One was would be to take the 6cd changer out and 'hide' the KW, but whats the point of having a blank factory unit with lights that doesn't do anything?

I considered the veneer, but I'll play with some vinyl down the road.
Old 10-22-13, 12:59 AM
seyelabrev
Driver

Everything looks good minus the fender gaps. I guess I got used to looking at mine too much.
Old 10-22-13, 09:55 AM
RXGS
Lexus Test Driver

Very clean, one of my favorite es' on here. Qucik question, is that rust thats coming back on the right rear 1/4 panel? or is it just the picture. I'm just asking because i thought you had everything redone not even a year ago.

Quick Reply: My progression