ES - 1st to 4th Gen (1990-2006) Forum for all 1990 - 2006 ES300 and ES330 models. ES250 topics go here as well.

Lets see if there is anyone still here.... Seat memory problem

Search this Thread

Old 03-11-12, 11:54 AM
Specter
Driver

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Lets see if there is anyone still here.... Seat memory problem

2001 ES300.

I replaced the battery now the seat memory pre-sets don't work. I can move the seats with the other ***** but the pre-sets are dead.

Ideas ?

Old 03-11-12, 11:56 AM
01LEXPL
Lead Lap

Received 68 Likes on 58 Posts

Normal, anytime i changed the battery in my ES it did this. Some Pre-99 owners claim their's work after changing a battery, but not in my experience.

Just re-set, the presets!
Old 03-11-12, 12:10 PM
Specter
Driver

I set the seat then pushed the button..... Nothing, I don't get any beep or any movement.

Maybe I'm not doing it right.

Did not see anything in the manual......
Old 03-11-12, 01:10 PM
01LEXPL
Lead Lap

Received 68 Likes on 58 Posts

Its finnicky, sometimes insert key, then remove and try it again.

Or leave in park with key in ignition door closed and then do it. I don't recall which worked for me...
Old 03-11-12, 03:24 PM
PFB
Lexus Champion

Received 44 Likes on 39 Posts

Ignition on, car in Park, than press the break pedal, only than can you adjust your seat. If it lost it's memory.you must reprogram the buttons again
Old 03-11-12, 07:09 PM
Specter
Driver

Victory !...

The foot on the brake did the trick. Amazing that the whole setting of seat memory is not in the manual.....

Thanks...
Old 03-11-12, 08:00 PM
LeX2K
Lexus Champion

Received 2,712 Likes on 2,297 Posts

Glad you got it sorted. Lexus made very very sure you could not set the presets at any time that would be a safety risk!
Old 03-11-12, 09:54 PM
Hayk
Lead Lap

Received 291 Likes on 230 Posts

I also thought my Memory Seats did not work when I bought the car. While working on my radio today, I decided to give it another try because of this thread. Had the key in the on position, pressed the Set button and heard a beep. This was before anyone posted a solution, which made it even sweeter.
Old 03-12-12, 03:11 PM
GoodRevs
Instructor

Received 45 Likes on 26 Posts

When I press the seat memory preset everything adjusts other than the passenger side mirror; it won't move. I can adjust the mirror using the adjustment pad but when I use the memory button the mirror won't move. These things are finicky
Old 03-12-12, 03:37 PM
PFB
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by GoodRevs
When I press the seat memory preset everything adjusts other than the passenger side mirror; it won't move. I can adjust the mirror using the adjustment pad but when I use the memory button the mirror won't move. These things are finicky
Program the 2nd button and see if your mirror will now move. If it does, than maybe there is something wrong with the first button
Old 03-14-12, 09:56 AM
wik009
Rookie

Originally Posted by 01LEXPL
Normal, anytime i changed the battery in my ES it did this. Some Pre-99 owners claim their's work after changing a battery, but not in my experience.

Just re-set, the presets!
Literally 15 years ago, I found out that removal of battery for any amount of time erased not only the preset radio station buttons but cleared spark advance information from ~100 miles of continuous engine-on history and made the engine run VERY rough. It was to the point of shutting the engine off when air conditioner was turned on. After 100 miles of driving, the spark-advance info comes back. And when I took the car (1989 Mitsubish Galant) in for battery replacement, the mechanic "smartly" put a miniature 12V battery across the battery terminal before replacing the battery and told me that it was in his process procedure to do this. All mechanics should be doing this and you or your mechanic who does not do this will cause a lot of headaches due to clearing of flash memory devices on newer cars.
Old 03-14-12, 10:16 AM
PFB
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by wik009
Literally 15 years ago, I found out that removal of battery for any amount of time erased not only the preset radio station buttons but cleared spark advance information from ~100 miles of continuous engine-on history and made the engine run VERY rough. It was to the point of shutting the engine off when air conditioner was turned on. After 100 miles of driving, the spark-advance info comes back. And when I took the car (1989 Mitsubish Galant) in for battery replacement, the mechanic "smartly" put a miniature 12V battery across the battery terminal before replacing the battery and told me that it was in his process procedure to do this. All mechanics should be doing this and you or your mechanic who does not do this will cause a lot of headaches due to clearing of flash memory devices on newer cars.
I had removed my battery several times for extended periods on my 2001 es300,, and the only thing I ever lost was the clock setting. So go figure.

Phil
Old 06-07-14, 07:28 AM
Ricklesroc
Driver School Candidate

Default power seats and mirrors work, but memory settings don't work

I have read through several posts and tried all the suggestions. Seat controls and mirror controls work but memory set, memory 1, and memory 2 buttons do not beep or work. I suspect a relay or fuse but don't know where they are located. I appreciate and welcome any advice. TY.
Old 06-07-14, 01:41 PM
PuReChaos
Pole Position

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by Ricklesroc
I have read through several posts and tried all the suggestions. Seat controls and mirror controls work but memory set, memory 1, and memory 2 buttons do not beep or work. I suspect a relay or fuse but don't know where they are located. I appreciate and welcome any advice. TY.
If everything functions appropriately I would assume the switch itself has gone bad. There is no separate fuse or relay to that particular component. It receives power from the Seat Position Control ECU. You can test it if you would like by back probing and measuring it there is continuity with the buttons depressed. Let me know if you want to know more about that and I'll provide you with the EWD and let you know how to test.

If you want to just replace the part, it'll be roughly 75+shipping from Sewell. You'll have to create an account and mention your a member of club lexus for a discount. However, I highly suggest you test first if you have a digital multimeter available to you.

Just curious had the memory seat switch worked before or did you buy the car like that?
Old 06-07-14, 02:13 PM
PFB
Lexus Champion

Before replacing the switch, you can spray some electrical contact cleaner on the individually switches. Try and get the spray inside the switch. Activate each switch several times, than repeat.

I may be wrong, but I believe that you can pry the whole assembly out. If so, than take it out and spray it while its out.That will also give you a chance to examine the wiring plug to make sure it's tightly on.

You never know, but it's worth a try.

Phil

Last edited by PFB; 06-07-14 at 04:31 PM.

Quick Reply: Lets see if there is anyone still here.... Seat memory problem