ES - 1st to 4th Gen (1990-2006) Forum for all 1990 - 2006 ES300 and ES330 models. ES250 topics go here as well.

183k miles, I think it's time...

Search this Thread

Old 03-02-12, 10:38 PM
Hayk
Lead Lap

Received 291 Likes on 230 Posts
Default 183k miles, I think it's time...

...to replace my timing belt. I know what you're thinking, it's yet another one of those timing belt threads. Well I searched and looked through countless other threads, and I couldn't find a definitive answer to my question.

Here is the situation. I have acquired the car with 173k on the clock and have no records of the belt being done. I'm thinking that at this point, I should go all out and replace everything in the front of the engine. I'm talking: timing belt, water pump, two accessory belts, two camshaft seals, crankshaft seal, idler pulley, tensioner pulley, hydraulic tensioner, and the timing cover gaskets.

I would like to purchase all of those parts myself and drop the car off at a local shop. Now I have looked at RockAuto and their two most popular kits are Gates and Aisin. While looking through those timing belt threads, people have said that the Aisin kit is basically OEM. Is this true? The kits are only about $150 each, so I'm a little skeptical about their quality. I priced out the same parts separately through a Lexus online dealer and it came out to roughly $330. I want the best for my engine, considering how crucial these parts are.

What are your suggestions? Is going with the Aisin kit a safe bet?

I would also like to mention that I noticed some pulley/bearing noise coming from the front of the engine. It's very subtle, and I noticed that it gets more prominent when my lights are off. When I turn the lights on, it quiets down. That is why I'm considering doing the timing belt.

Last edited by Hayk; 03-02-12 at 10:42 PM.
Old 03-02-12, 10:45 PM
mkorsu
Zombie Slayer

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

My suggestion is to do it yourself! The Aisin kit is fine from my experience. The hardest thing you are going to encounter is a shop that will let you give them your own parts. They want to make the mark up on parts. A good percentage of their money comes from that mark up.

Years ago when I was a naive 17 year old a shop owner told me this when I asked him to install an edelbrock manifold on my small block chevy. "Do you think a chef would like it if you brought a steak into his restaurant and asked him to cook it for you?"

Not saying I agree with that thought but a lot of repair shop owners still do.
Old 03-02-12, 10:54 PM
Hayk
Lead Lap

Received 291 Likes on 230 Posts

That's an interesting take on it. I haven't thought that through... Maybe I should just get it done through a dealership - OEM parts + the piece of mind.
Old 03-02-12, 11:42 PM
GS4_Fiend
Lexus Test Driver

Received 86 Likes on 69 Posts

When removing the water pump housing, becareful not to strip the threads. They are not regular bolts. Also doing the seals for crank and cam aint easy either.
Old 03-03-12, 12:16 AM
Lexucan
Lexucanafer

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Before you make a decision on parts, I would suggest that you check on the cost of the equivalent year V6 Camry water pump, belts, etc, since they are, for the most part, interchangeable with the ES300. Lexus has their own "mark-up" system when it comes to parts.
Old 03-03-12, 04:14 AM
MikeLex
Lead Lap

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by mkorsu
My suggestion is to do it yourself! The Aisin kit is fine from my experience. The hardest thing you are going to encounter is a shop that will let you give them your own parts. They want to make the mark up on parts. A good percentage of their money comes from that mark up.

Years ago when I was a naive 17 year old a shop owner told me this when I asked him to install an edelbrock manifold on my small block chevy. "Do you think a chef would like it if you brought a steak into his restaurant and asked him to cook it for you?"

Not saying I agree with that thought but a lot of repair shop owners still do.
Agreed. Also, by having installed the parts you brought them the shop will have an obvious alibi should anything goes wrong down the road.
Old 03-03-12, 05:52 AM
ASG14
Lexus Test Driver

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Not sure where in NJ you are. I'm in Stamford, CT. I'll do it a lot cheaper then any shop will, just let me know.
Old 03-03-12, 08:29 AM
ES3_Ray
Lead Lap

best deal around. also where in jersey are you located. im near watchung/westfield off of rt.22

http://stores.ebay.com/FCP-Groton/Le...=p4634.c0.m322
Old 03-03-12, 09:36 AM
01LEXPL
Lead Lap

Received 68 Likes on 58 Posts

AISIN is the oem manufacturer for these cars... I've bought them. I disagree with the 'bring the shop' your parts; depends on the shop. Its a buyers market - don't want to service it? Go elsewhere.

My buddy doesn't care, he never rips off his customers and has minimal markup [literally a couple bucks] on parts. The service is the money maker in every case. Whether I or he gets parts; he gets the money for working on it.

Originally Posted by Lexucan
Before you make a decision on parts, I would suggest that you check on the cost of the equivalent year V6 Camry water pump, belts, etc, since they are, for the most part, interchangeable with the ES300. Lexus has their own "mark-up" system when it comes to parts.
Same price - rockauto categorizes it by kits, and a lot of these are universal with various toyota/lexus models. At the dealer - that's a different story, it depends who you know and talk to

Originally Posted by ES3_Ray
best deal around. also where in jersey are you located. im near watchung/westfield off of rt.22
I'd still go with RockAuto since it will be a few bucks difference, yet unlike eBay they have the best customer service, and acutal people you can speak to. Get a kit from eBay and its the wrong one? You're SOL for those 2-5 business days sellers are allowed to get back to you...
Old 03-03-12, 10:29 AM
PFB
Lexus Champion

Received 44 Likes on 39 Posts

Don't confuse OEM with OE. OEM means Original Equipment Manufacturer. That is the Company that manufactured the original part for the car in question, but it DOES NOT mean that you will necessarily be buying the same original quality part that was installed in your car. An OEM company makes numerous parts, typically for numerous cars, some of high quality and some of lower quality.

OE on the other hand means Original Equipment. Which is the original part that came with your car, and that was manufactured by the OEM and tested based on the Car Company's specifications. Typically such parts carry the car company's logo and part number, and are identical to what was originally on your car.

So in general, OEM and OE are NOT the same. Costs considerations aside, OE is always preferable to OEM, and OEM is usually preferable to an obscure brand.

For critical parts, or parts that are very labour intensive to install, my preference is always, OE

As long as you keep the above in mind, it will help you to make a more informed decision.

Phil
Old 03-03-12, 01:21 PM
01LEXPL
Lead Lap

Received 68 Likes on 58 Posts

^^ well said, which is what i was getting at with RockAuto. AISIN makes the OE parts for these. RA sells them in their 'own' box, where Lexus would get it ordered in a Toyota box. That's my pointless 0.02 in comparison to the eBay 'kit'... which is pieced with random bits & bobs from all over, probably the cheapest to keep costs down.
Old 03-03-12, 01:51 PM
hypervish
Lexus Test Driver

Received 88 Likes on 75 Posts

No problem with Aisin kit. I've used them in the past.
Old 03-03-12, 02:22 PM
pauloil
Pole Position

you said: " have acquired the car with 173k on the clock and have no records of the belt being done. I'm thinking that at this point, I should go all out and replace everything in the front of the engine. I'm talking: timing belt, water pump, two accessory belts, two camshaft seals, crankshaft seal, idler pulley, tensioner pulley, hydraulic tensioner, and the timing cover gaskets."

if the seals aren't leaking, why do the extra work?
Old 03-03-12, 02:55 PM
BradTank
Racer

Received 170 Likes on 116 Posts

The Aisin kit is high quality, no need to waste your money chasing after the Lexus logo.
Old 03-03-12, 03:01 PM
ES3_Ray
Lead Lap

just letting you know the kit on ebay is from a reputable company FCP Groton. I've ordered approximately 10 1mz timing belt kits from them with 0 issues.

Quick Reply: 183k miles, I think it's time...