ES - 1st to 4th Gen (1990-2006) Forum for all 1990 - 2006 ES300 and ES330 models. ES250 topics go here as well.

HELP! Infant baby + terrible streets + old shocks

Search this Thread

Old 02-28-12, 01:40 PM
Lavaiie
Driver School Candidate

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default HELP! Infant baby + terrible streets + old shocks

I know you all are tired of responding about suspension systems, but heres my situation I have done alot of research here and other sites, and my girlfirend is gettin pissed becuase this is all i have been doing for the last past 3 weeks, so im breaking down now and just writting you guys so i can make a decision about what struts to buy. I got a 97 es 300, a baby, and bad struts. Please, Im not looking for new springs or and drops. I just dont want my lil baby getting shaken baby syndrom from riding around in the back ol dads car...
I first ran upon Sensens and rockauto. I have read what guys said about sensens becuase of the crazy low price are they still holding uP? but most of you guys are saying KYB's (close oem fit) as i understand and im willing to pay that dollar BUT can they take a daily beating on these ugly streets? I would really hate to spend the money and have to buy shocks again after 1 year. The thought of even hydraulics crossed my mind cuz of the durability(is hydro for my 97 es 300 possible? )
But as im thinking about these messed up streets Im now realizing I need a durable but comfortable shock. Its funny becuase even though im on the road....its like im driving off road(its that bad). You know your streets are bad when you are willing to sacrafice going the loooong way around just to avoid bad roads and even the long way is still crappy- in spite of gas prices. So maybe an offroad shock on and lexus...but then...im sacraficing comfort..so now im thinkinking Bilsteins thats comfort and durability right?! but having a hard time finding them for the 97 es300. I need some advice to get my ride back soft and durable...Thanks

Last edited by Lavaiie; 02-28-12 at 01:44 PM.
Old 02-28-12, 01:52 PM
EEngineer
Lexus Test Driver

Received 7 Likes on 4 Posts

why are you even considering all those options???

KYB(which makes the OEM shocks) + OEM springs. end of story
Old 02-28-12, 02:10 PM
RXGS
Lexus Test Driver

Received 210 Likes on 171 Posts

Sensens aren't bad at all. Neighbor got them on his 97 es300 at 140k and he is now at 200k and they still ride really well. Little stiffer then OEM but when i drove it i had no problem with the way it rode. i believe there is a decent warranty on them. I know people suggest OEM or KYB, but when money is tight and the car is worth as much as it is, its hard to justify. I have KYBs and to be honest, they seem to be the same as the Sensens in my neighbors car
Old 02-28-12, 03:14 PM
Lavaiie
Driver School Candidate

The reason I considered many options was becuase the streets here are very unforgiving...i would hate to get a sensen or kyb and they only hold up for a year. Most of the stuff ive read about the KYBs have been positive but driving daily with them on this terrain could be bad news for them. it just seemed Blistens is top quality. oh and Grey thanks for that comparason
Old 02-28-12, 03:32 PM
Hayk
Lead Lap

Received 291 Likes on 230 Posts

Are you running stock 15" wheels? I would love to see what these streets look like.
Old 02-28-12, 03:47 PM
mdbrown
Lead Lap

Received 12 Likes on 11 Posts

Monroe struts are nothing special but they work okay. Nice part is the lifetime warranty. I have used them in the past and they work well enough, certainly as good as most OE parts.
Old 02-28-12, 03:51 PM
Lavaiie
Driver School Candidate

yea its bone stock and yes 10 feet of smooth road would be a blessing.
Old 02-28-12, 03:54 PM
Lavaiie
Driver School Candidate

Monroes...ive read a lil on them too, they seem to have diffrent line of products like sense a trac ect..ect..
Old 02-28-12, 05:04 PM
EEngineer
Lexus Test Driver

Received 7 Likes on 4 Posts

if the roads are as bad as you say, why not get a SUV or something of the sort with really fat tires?

i've never ever heard of KYBs fail within a year. usually 6~8 if it's daily driven
Old 02-28-12, 05:04 PM
Hayk
Lead Lap

Originally Posted by EEngineer
why are you even considering all those options???

KYB(which makes the OEM shocks) + OEM springs. end of story
Are you implying that he should get KYB shocks and new OEM springs? Or KYB shocks and reuse the OEM springs? I need to do my suspension as well, and the springs from the dealer come out to $400!
Old 02-28-12, 05:10 PM
robawelch
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

i used Gabriel struts in my 4ES, replaced all struts, kept old springs, and they are great!!
Old 02-28-12, 08:21 PM
Lavaiie
Driver School Candidate

ok thanks for the input guys, I think I wanna go Kyb on the front since they are cheaper and sensens in the rear or should i keep all four the same?
Old 02-29-12, 12:17 PM
RXGS
Lexus Test Driver

Received 210 Likes on 171 Posts

I don't see the issue, but others might i guess as long as they are replaced in pairs, but i could be wrong. Are the sensens and KYB's the same price? If so it will prob just be easier to get all 4 the same. And where in Ohio are you. My car has been both Buffalo NY streets and Cleveland OH streets, neither has been good to my car but the suspensions seems to be holding up well minus the sway abr links with i am replacing anyways.
Old 02-29-12, 01:58 PM
Hayk
Lead Lap

Originally Posted by Lavaiie
ok thanks for the input guys, I think I wanna go Kyb on the front since they are cheaper and sensens in the rear or should i keep all four the same?
I wouldn't trust Sensen. I've never heard of them before and plus the rears are much harder to replace than the front. So if they fail within a year, it's gonna cost you more to swap them out again. KYB is a very reputable brand and it's the OEM supplier for our cars.

If you are on a budget, I would try out the Monroe Quick Struts. Each one is $130, but it comes pre-assembled with all new parts. There is a member on here who had them installed recently and is quiet happy with the results. Don't forget that if you're replacing the struts, you have to replace the strut mounts as well, and the Monroe already come with them.

I priced out everything for my KYB suspension overhaul yesterday. Just for struts, strut mounts, spring insulators, and bump stops, it came out to $800! Where as the Monroe's would be only about $550 AND you get new springs!

Last edited by Hayk; 02-29-12 at 02:06 PM.
Old 03-01-12, 09:13 PM
Lavaiie
Driver School Candidate

well i dont think I need new mounts, but after driving when the car is parked and im just sitting in the car, i hear the rear driver side make a sound like the spring is setteling. i have all the records from the dealer. this car used to ride brand new. people would get in my car like "this is a 97?..oh it rides like a 2000 blah blah blah...". ive had it for about 2 year and the shocks are just gone..the sensens are 35 a peice. im up to 140 for all 4.

Quick Reply: HELP! Infant baby + terrible streets + old shocks