ES - 1st to 4th Gen (1990-2006) Forum for all 1990 - 2006 ES300 and ES330 models. ES250 topics go here as well.

2002 ES / replace stock sub+amp or just add an amp for the stock sub?

Search this Thread

Old 02-27-12, 07:16 PM
Patsum
Pole Position

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 2002 ES / replace stock sub+amp or just add an amp for the stock sub?

I have an 02 es 300

The sound system stock is not bad but unless I keep the bass to -2 or -1 then the sub distorts. no other speakers do and if I turn the bass control down to -3 I can really blast the system. Minus the sub.

If I just add an amp to the stock sub using the line in for my clarion 400X2 amp for the stock sub will that work better than what the stock headunit is powering it at?

Or if I use a Line out converter on the stock sub wires and add in a different free air sub will it sound better?

Also. where is the stock amp located?
Old 02-28-12, 09:09 AM
Trunk
Driver School Candidate

I subscribed to this thread. I'm in the same boat, down to the same bass settings (just this morning I turned it down from 0 to -2 and felt that it was just too imbalanced). Correct me if I'm wrong, but I assume you're talking about the Pioneer system. For me, the distortion is really only noticeable with amplified, punchy kickdrum bass in reggae (ex. Richie Spice - "Mind Offa Mi") and hip-hop (ex. Prince Paul - "Why Must You Hate Me?"). Other types of music like punk (ex. Descendents - "I'm Not a Loser") or hip-hop with smoother bass (ex. Tyga - "Rack City" or Jim Jones - "We Fly High") is fine provided I'm listening at reasonably loud levels (whatever that is).

I'm by no means an audiophile or system installer, but I have some experience installing head units, amps and speakers. I'm thinking it's likely cone flex (stock sub appears to be thin cardboard) and/or just the nature of an infinite baffle setup.

The cone flex could be solved by installing something like the Kicker C8 (available in 2-ohm SVC). That's probably what I'm doing. I think MTX also makes a Road Thunder (or something else) 8" sub with dual 4-ohm voice coils. You're looking at $50-80 on eBay and however many hours to remove the rear parcel shelf cover. That's going to be my first step. If it doesn't work, I'll try something else like building a box.

Also, I've been thinking about possibly replacing the ICs in the amplifier for more power. I've been looking at the service manual for our stock amp. It uses two ICs; one for the four corners and one for the sub. The IC for the sub is made by Toshiba, and it has been discontinued (as well as it's packaging, AFAIK, the HZIP15). IIRC, it's a two-channel 4-ohm amp that has been bridged for 2-ohm mono operation. I am in the process of looking for a replacement IC. I'm sure there's something suitable out there, but I'll probably lose interest and/or hit a road block. Another, easier option might be using a higher powered factory Lexus amp that communicates with the head unit in the same way (it looks like there's tx+ and tx- wires).

Anyway, keep us updated.

Last edited by Trunk; 02-28-12 at 10:14 AM. Reason: spelling
Old 02-28-12, 03:49 PM
mdbrown
Lead Lap

Received 12 Likes on 11 Posts

I'd take a long hard look at an Infinity basslink. All in one solution, has built in digital amp and passive radiator.
Old 02-28-12, 05:15 PM
robawelch
Driver School Candidate

All I did for my 2002 was cut the wires for the stock sub at where they feed into the speaker, so you still have the pigtail and plug intact for direct OEM replacement later. ran down to a new amp and sub box. controls from stock head unit work great, and it all sounds great..... then again, it is the Levinson System