ES - 1st to 4th Gen (1990-2006) Forum for all 1990 - 2006 ES300 and ES330 models. ES250 topics go here as well.

'93 es300 CarPC +Pics! :D

Search this Thread

Old 02-24-12, 11:02 PM
dewso1
Driver

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Talking '93 es300 CarPC +Pics! :D **Updated**

Hey everyone, after weeks of waiting for parts to arrive, installing, and troubleshooting, I bring you the mostly finished product

Hardware:
Intel Mac Mini, Had it lying around not doing anything. late 2006 model, 1.83ghz core 2 duo, 2GB Ram
Carnetix p1900+Macpac power kit, power supply of choice, and very happy with it
TASCAM 144 USB Audio interface, Once again, another thing i had lying around not being used anymore. useful as it offers RCA output+an onboard volume control, so i can stop the passengers from blowing my speakers
Other Bits and Pieces:
Ground Loop Isolator
USB hubs
Wiring kit
Scoshe Double din dash kit
Lilliput 7" in ByByte Double din frame.
iPod Touch 16GB (Had it also lying around)

Software:
Centrafuse with Aqua Black Skin (V2?)
Windows 7

Location is in the glove box

USB Hubs: 4 port hub in middle console, other high powered port in the cigarette lighter socket (For external hard-drives and Wow-factor)

Now, you're probably wondering why i would mount an iPod permanently in such a weird spot.
Its use is as a remote control+trackpad+keyboard from a more relaxed position. instead of reaching up to the screen, i can use the iPod to control everything onscreen. My es300 has an armrest, and it conveniently is in the exact right spot to make this comfortable and easy to use

Anyways, Open for any questions and comments. I would never of attempted this if I didn't have this community to fall back too, so thank you everyone.

My plans for the future are: Subwoofer, for some reason my setup has given me amazing crystal clear highs but taken away a lot of the low frequencies, so generally, if i get a subwoofer it should be perfect

and to add navigation + a microphone array for handsfree talking and navigation, although its illegal for me to use a handsfree system on my current licence so its not a priority

Last edited by dewso1; 02-24-13 at 08:54 AM.
Old 02-24-12, 11:43 PM
AntzCro
Driver

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

You have done a great job mate !!
That's so awesome !!!
keep it up !
Old 02-25-12, 12:59 AM
dewso1
Driver

Thanks dude

Could probably do with some better pictures, but you get the idea ^-^

Like your work on your ES too :thumb up:
Old 02-25-12, 02:24 AM
Hayk
Lead Lap

Received 295 Likes on 233 Posts

Very creative. Awesome work!
Old 02-25-12, 05:19 AM
imherenow
Racer

Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts

very impressive work
Old 02-25-12, 12:17 PM
EEngineer
Lexus Test Driver

Received 7 Likes on 4 Posts

interesting.....
I keep my Greddy E-Manage Blue in the glove box.
Old 02-26-12, 06:42 PM
dewso1
Driver

Thanks everyone
It really raises the look of the interior, it makes it look really modern like the LS models and such

plus the iPod is sort-of my take on the lexus "Remote Touch" System on the newer models

Oh by the way, total cost (Not including the stuff i already had) came to about $400AUD, but a huge amount of that was shipping costs.
Old 02-28-12, 10:03 PM
SeemorCake
Driver School Candidate

I applaud you sir
Old 05-13-12, 03:27 AM
dewso1
Driver

Hey everyone, real quick update, with more pictures to follow soon.

Lately, I have installed an amp and two sony 12" 1000w subs, not a very powerful amp so they're running at about half power, but absolutely beautiful sound! I replaced the 8 gauge power cable with a 4 gauge, and have the 8 gauge running off from the 4 gauge underneath the drivers seat to power the computer. Its all completely hidden, under plastic reinforced areas under the carpet. same goes for the audio signal cables on the other side of the car.

Also, i have replaced the old sound card (M-audio US-144) with a creative x-fi surround. I have great sound control now, dedicated sub-out, and its literally quarter the size of the old one. Perfect.

Another thing I have done, is installed a BU-353 S4 GPS, its stuck on to the windscreen behind the mirror, and the cabling runs through the roof lining, down the pillar and comes out at the glovebox It takes about 1 second for a fix from a cold start, and with Garmin Mobile PC software, with 2012 maps, its a great navi system.

Once again, thanks everybody on Club Lexus

Subs:

EDIT: Also, dont be fooled by the lighting in the photo, the colours of the sub boxes and the boot lining are actually fairly close.

Last edited by dewso1; 02-24-13 at 08:59 AM. Reason: more info
Old 06-01-12, 04:05 AM
dewso1
Driver

Another bump, sorry everyone :P
Heres the lights as they stand right now, waiting to be put in

I was just wondering if i could get some opinions on where i should place them.
Im mainly leaning towards the top grille in the side of the bumper just because of how easy it will be to do. (Bad photoshop alert). Id only have to cut out a little square of bumper to get them to fit right.

But then theres this, which i think looks better, but would have to pay a body shop a crapload to actually get it done. (No way im doing it!)

What do you guys think would look better? and is the second one better enough to warrant paying so much for it?
Old 06-01-12, 09:55 AM
Hayk
Lead Lap

Received 295 Likes on 233 Posts

They look out of place and don't match any of the other lights on your car. I think if you end up putting them on, they will make the front end look tacky.

I liked how well integrated your car pc looked, so it surprises me that you're considering LEDs.
Old 06-01-12, 10:58 AM
EEngineer
Lexus Test Driver

Received 7 Likes on 4 Posts

yea, i kinda agree with mrboody on this one.
the led strips are a bit played out.
i see all sorts of ricers with those strips and they just look weird and out of place.
Old 06-01-12, 11:03 AM
dewso1
Driver

Theres no way id even consider driving my car without getting some cooler temperature headlights first

You are right, im a huge fan of the OEM look. They do add that little bit of sparkle that all the other newer cars with them have though. Hence why im looking to get them installed flush into the body, rather than just propping them up on the front like most people.

Thanks for the feedback though

EEngineer- Here in australia they are pretty rare apart from the OEM ones.
My goal is to make them look OEM and if i cant get the look then i'll take them off, i hate tackiness. Dont worry about that :P

EDIT: Also the safety aspect plays into it a bit, the usual thing to do here is to have your headlights on when you're driving earlyish in the morning when its still a little dark, or when you're on the freeway. I'd much rather have these LED strips than my full headlights on, my battery has a hard time as it is.

Last edited by dewso1; 06-01-12 at 11:18 AM.
Old 06-01-12, 05:37 PM
Bdub215
Lead Lap

Received 12 Likes on 10 Posts

Does your Car have foglights? i cant tell from the pictures. If not invest. they're well worth it.
Old 06-02-12, 03:14 AM
dewso1
Driver

Bdub14- No it doesn't have foglights, honestly it doesnt seem worth the cost to me, looking at a couple of hundred for OEM used ones, could probably get some generic ones, but then whats the difference between them and my strips? Hehe.
Not to mention its never foggy here, and its illegal to have foglights turned on at any time of day unless it is bad conditions. (Although alot of people do it as a replacement for driving lights, id rather draw the least amount of attention from the police as possible)

Anyways, i finished the wiring before, mounted them in the different places with blu-tack, and honestly i think i can pull off the OEM look after i replace my bulbs (which i was going to do anyways) and cut out the bumper so they sit flush.

But if they arent up to my standards ill be taking them off, and i think they look awesome anyways

No matter how tacky something seems, as long as its done right it can always look good. I just hope this is one of those occasions.

Quick Reply: '93 es300 CarPC +Pics! :D