ES - 1st to 4th Gen (1990-2006) Forum for all 1990 - 2006 ES300 and ES330 models. ES250 topics go here as well.

Bought my first car: '95 ES300 w/145,000mi - Here's what I've done!

Search this Thread

Old 04-26-12, 09:34 PM
smee
Driver

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Bdub215
Ultra Racing is your friend...
OH DANG!! Do you happen to know the model number of the bar? I can't find it anywhere!

Originally Posted by EEngineer
looking great Bdub!
i wonder if the UR strut bar is going to clear my supercharger.
I had a strut bar on the camry but the thing only worked with the oem intake manifold, it got in the way with the trb supercharger.
also, UR makes an underbody brace for the solara which i think is gonna work on the ES and camry as well, installation might be a toughie though.

oh btw smee, my suspension is setup is BC racing coilovers for the gen3/4 camry. it's direct bolt on.
I maxed out the lowering on the front, so basically 4 inches LOL.
wheel setup is kinda weak right now but works ok with a good fender roll.
18x8 ET40 235/40/18. camber: -2.3 front, -2.7 rear
I don't know if i'll ever have the budget for a TRD Supercharger, but mannnnn it'd be fun.
And dang, I wish I had the doe for coilovers!!
I think I'll be grabbing some STAGG struts + Lowering springs on eBay for $380.

Originally Posted by Bankos66
I painted my emblems black on my 95 es300 and it looks so much better. It contrasts the white and brings out the black in the headlights more.
I'll think about it, but I'm still liking my goldlems.

Originally Posted by mtnman82
Hey smee - is there a good writeup or source of info on how to get all the head unit / climate control stuff out of the center console? The carpet is completely falling out on the passenger side of my daughter's car and I'd like to remedy that...
This is what I used: http://www.carstereohelp.com/stereor...sES300StrR.htm
Very straight forward, do it once and you'll be able to do it in 3 minutes the next time.

I'm also wondering where you got the mounting/finishing kit to replace the stock radio?
I just eBay'ed it, double din or single din stereo dash kit for '95 es300
Also remember, when searching eBay, '95 and '96 are almost identical.

Thanks a bunch!!! You've got a sweet ride there - wish my first ride was even close to as nice...
Thanks man! Dude, just work on things one thing at a time! Clean up here, replace that there, soon enough you could have a great looking car!
When it gets to the point of having too many miles, buy a low mileage engine and drop it in.

Originally Posted by Ickey
Very nice!
Thank you!

Originally Posted by Raisala
Nice car Parker. I'm selling my '96 ES300 also in white. Only has 122k miles, just had those front seats reupholstered. Got a LoJack and remote start too. Treat yourself to remote start. Wonderful option. I'm not getting much activity. Not too many appreciaters here in Philadelphia. Enjoy your ride!
Man! Why would you sell such a nice vehicle!? Supercharge it.
But thank you!

Originally Posted by LexusNN
car looks great, my grandma had the same one and i begged her for years to give it to me. That car began my love for Lexus.
Nice man! Did she give it to you then? Or did you buy your own because of her lexus?

Originally Posted by seyelabrev
Got some good stuff here. Much props for a solid and consistent build for owning the car in a short period of time..
Thank you!! Next upgrades will be:

-New Struts all around
-1.25" drop
-New rotors
-Paint the calipers
-New wheels, 18x8
-Magnaflow exhaust
-Cold air intake

MORE TO COME!
Old 04-26-12, 09:45 PM
EEngineer
Lexus Test Driver

Received 7 Likes on 4 Posts

why get oem rotors when you can upgrade to Supra rotors?
Old 04-26-12, 10:25 PM
smee
Driver

why get oem rotors when you can upgrade to Supra rotors?
Lolol. but...but teh monehz. xD
I was just thinking four new Centric slotted rotors for $350ish total lolol. If you could help me figure out where to get Supra rotors cheap.... and breaks that fit... annnnnd teach me what i need to do to do the conversions... ahahahah
I'm really _really_ knew to cars. :P
Old 04-26-12, 11:09 PM
EEngineer
Lexus Test Driver

Supra rotors - $80 each
Caliper relocation brackets - $150 on toyotanation

rest keep them stock. just get your mechanic to grind down 1 mill off the caliper brackets, which is very very easy to do.
Old 04-26-12, 11:28 PM
smee
Driver

Supra rotors - $80 each
Caliper relocation brackets - $150 on toyotanation

rest keep them stock. just get your mechanic to grind down 1 mill off the caliper brackets, which is very very easy to do.
Hmmm, maybe I searched wrong when I was looking at supra rotors... because I found them at $250 each. :S
Could you link me to the exact ones at that price?

Okay so I don't need new calipers? Just the brackets so they'll fit?
Will i need new brake lines at all?

And obviously, I'll need bigger wheels to fit the rotors, so i'll need to upgrade that first ahahha.

On that note, how hard would it be to fit 18x9's in the rear? I really don't want to use any spacers on my wheels, but I love the flush and slightly pushed out look on rear wheels... bad idea?
Otherwise I was just going to get 18x8 all around.
Old 04-27-12, 10:54 AM
EEngineer
Lexus Test Driver

rotors: just get something reasonable locally, no one said you'd have to go for OEM rotors lol

calipers: no you don't need new ones. the brackets are designed such that you can use the existing caliper

brake lines: you don't need new brake lines, but upgrading to SS brake lines is convenient at this point so I did it.

18x9 is easily doable with the right amount of camber, most likely -3 degrees and a professional fender roll. don't attempt it yourself!
Old 04-27-12, 11:03 AM
smee
Driver

rotors: just get something reasonable locally, no one said you'd have to go for OEM rotors lol
Aite cool! I'll check out some nicer rotors!

calipers: no you don't need new ones. the brackets are designed such that you can use the existing caliper
But then, if I don't get a bigger caliper/brake setup, is there really a point in bigger rotors? Unless I upgrade the brakes down the road... (no pun intended )

brake lines: you don't need new brake lines, but upgrading to SS brake lines is convenient at this point so I did it.
ahhhh okay. is it a lot of work to get the lines replaced? And I know you're in Canada with the snow, so rust and things are an issue and break lines should be replaced. Here in cali, my car will likely never see the snow ahhahaha. What are your thoughts?

18x9 is easily doable with the right amount of camber, most likely -3 degrees and a professional fender roll. don't attempt it yourself!
Ooooh that sounds fun ahahahha. Idk if I want to do a fender roll though... I may just stick to getting a flush fit with an 18x8.
Old 04-27-12, 12:06 PM
EEngineer
Lexus Test Driver

Originally Posted by smee
Aite cool! I'll check out some nicer rotors!

But then, if I don't get a bigger caliper/brake setup, is there really a point in bigger rotors? Unless I upgrade the brakes down the road... (no pun intended )

ahhhh okay. is it a lot of work to get the lines replaced? And I know you're in Canada with the snow, so rust and things are an issue and break lines should be replaced. Here in cali, my car will likely never see the snow ahhahaha. What are your thoughts?

Ooooh that sounds fun ahahahha. Idk if I want to do a fender roll though... I may just stick to getting a flush fit with an 18x8.

larger rotor = more surface area has to be traveled per revolution. helps a lot! looks sick, and tend not to warp ever!

brake lines, not a lot of work, but with SS lines you have the option to use racing brake fluid.

18x8 will fit with an inch of room in the back with -2.5 degree of camber.
Old 04-27-12, 12:37 PM
Hayk
Lead Lap

Received 291 Likes on 230 Posts

What's so special about stainless steel brake lines? I've heard that they don't flex as much as rubber hoses - providing more feel to the driver and a more consistent brake pedal application.

If this is really true, why don't automakers use them? I need to look into this a bit more, but I found pictures of the LFA and it has rubber brake lines. (ignore the arrows)

Here is a 2009 Viper

You can see the hose in the bottom right

And here it is along with the ABS sensor

Here is the new Porsche 991. The brake line is the one enclosed by a metal coil

Here is the rear setup

And finally a 1991 Acura NSX

Last edited by Hayk; 04-27-12 at 01:34 PM.
Old 04-27-12, 12:39 PM
EEngineer
Lexus Test Driver

Cost cost cost!!!!

SS lines are very expensive considering you are making hundreds of thousands if not millions of them.
Old 04-27-12, 01:33 PM
Hayk
Lead Lap

Cost cost cost!!!!

SS lines are very expensive considering you are making hundreds of thousands if not millions of them.
We're talking about Super/Sports cars here. I doubt the cost of stainless steel brake lines is even an issue. If they really are that great, why would engineers ignore their potential on cars that are all about performance. Even the GTR, a car that defies the laws of physics, comes with rubber hoses.
Old 04-27-12, 01:47 PM
EEngineer
Lexus Test Driver

the point of your argument being rubber brake lines are better?
Old 04-27-12, 02:07 PM
Hayk
Lead Lap

the point of your argument being rubber brake lines are better?
Not better but most likely equal. I'm doubting the advantages of SS lines.

There is a similar issue with other aftermarket upgrades that promise an improvement over a stock component. Stuff like exhausts and cold air intakes. At least with high end cars like Porsches, those parts actually end up being worse than factory.
Old 04-28-12, 01:40 AM
EEngineer
Lexus Test Driver

Originally Posted by MrBooby
Not better but most likely equal. I'm doubting the advantages of SS lines.

There is a similar issue with other aftermarket upgrades that promise an improvement over a stock component. Stuff like exhausts and cold air intakes. At least with high end cars like Porsches, those parts actually end up being worse than factory.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Braided...el_brake_lines

In light of the above, it is reasonable to ask why rubber brake hose is used at all, instead of always using braided stainless steel hose. The most typical reason is cost, but also use case. Braided stainless steel hose is typically more expensive than rubber. When the cost difference is extrapolated across hundreds or thousands of units, it is quite compelling to opt for the rubber option, especially when the use case exhibits that the operator will not need or want the additional capabilities offered by a brake system equipped with braided stainless steel brake lines. It thus stands to reason that braided stainless steel brake lines are typically only seen on upmarket motor vehicles such as hot-rods and supercars, or on race-prepped vehicles such as those used in Formula One and touring car series. Braided stainless steel brake lines are a common aftermarket upgrade, purchased and installed after a vehicle is initially purchased.

sometimes i just wonder why you are so skeptical about things i say.........
Old 04-28-12, 05:34 PM
Hayk
Lead Lap

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Braided...el_brake_lines

sometimes i just wonder why you are so skeptical about things i say.........
I've looked into this a bit more and it seems that the only real advantage to SS lines is their durability and looks. People who have them say that they offer a barely noticeable difference in feel. And the thing is, the standard hoses are already very well built, so there is not much to improve on.

I could understand the cost issue with some of the cars I listed, but an LFA?! They only built like 500 of them and they took a hit on each one anyway.

Quick Reply: Bought my first car: '95 ES300 w/145,000mi - Here's what I've done!