ES - 1st to 4th Gen (1990-2006) Forum for all 1990 - 2006 ES300 and ES330 models. ES250 topics go here as well.

Cassette to AUX adapter ?

Search this Thread

Old 02-16-12, 03:33 PM
AntzCro
Driver

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Cassette to AUX adapter ?

Hey guys,
I am looking for a way to get my iphone to play MP3 in my es300.
I want to keep everything as original as possible on the inside because I think it'll look stupid with an after-market stereo/head deck.
What do you guys think about this Cassette to AUX adapter ?
It uses the magnetic strip which has been soldered to the AUX connections making it able to play MP3's through a cassette tape which had been re-wired.

http://store.apple.com/au/product/TW683LL/A
Old 02-16-12, 03:57 PM
BrockLexus
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

the casette adapter has terrible quality. what do you mean by "stupid?" I have an after market head unit and it looks natural. It gives the dash a cleaner, more modern look, not to mention the perfect sound quality.
Old 02-16-12, 04:00 PM
AntzCro
Driver

I used the word " stupid " too loosely.
I'd just rather keep everything in original condition because that's how I prefer it.
I'll see how it goes, if i can find the right unit and it looks natural and doesn't stick out, it'll give it a shot.
Old 02-29-12, 02:08 PM
whooodat
Pit Crew

Received 11 Likes on 7 Posts

I use a MONSTER iCarPlay Cassette Adapter that I picked up at Best Buy for about $25 and it works great. I play my iPod or iPhone with my stock radio deck. Hope this helps my friend-

http://www.staples.com/Monster-iCarP...I_800_CAS-ADPT
Old 02-29-12, 02:42 PM
Gchutes
Rookie

I also use the Monster adapter mentioned above and it is the best casette adapter i've used in my car. I've tried 3 cheaper alternatives and all make noise and dont work as well as the Monster.
Old 02-29-12, 03:05 PM
hypervish
Lexus Test Driver

Received 88 Likes on 75 Posts

I installed an iSimple IS77 in my RX300, it can also be installed in the ES300. It's an FM modulator, not to be confused with a FM transmitter, this connects in between the antenna and head unit. Which removes static, and gives pretty good sound quality, better than what a Cassette to AUX adapter can offer. With the ISimple IS77 it can also charge the iPhone and play audio.

You check out my youtube video's I did on it: http://www.youtube.com/playlist?list...eature=mh_lolz
Old 02-29-12, 03:46 PM
ZeusES300
Rookie

I know exactly what you mean when you say you want everything to look original. If you have the 00-01 model the head unit radio is in the wood trim and it would kind of kill the unique look it has by putting an after market radio in it.
Old 02-29-12, 05:44 PM
Patsum
Pole Position

If you have a 2002-2003 ES 300 I have a solution

If you want a direct 100% clear audio solution get the GROM brand ES 300 ipod/aux in... it cost me $79 and sounds like cd quality.

The cassette and FM modulator are no where near high quality... and putting in a different head unit is a PITA on these cars/ruins look of STOCK.
Old 02-29-12, 06:34 PM
Hayk
Lead Lap

Received 291 Likes on 230 Posts

I've seen a few radios on eBay where they hardwire an AUX jack into the unit. Does anyone know how this is done and if there is a tutorial?

Old 03-01-12, 03:44 AM
hypervish
Lexus Test Driver

Received 88 Likes on 75 Posts

Originally Posted by MrBooby
I've seen a few radios on eBay where they hardwire an AUX jack into the unit. Does anyone know how this is done and if there is a tutorial?

http://factoryradioservice.com/index...+es300&x=0&y=0

I think I've seen a DIY here (not sure), I'll have to search it up and post it back here.
Old 03-01-12, 08:35 AM
Hayk
Lead Lap

Received 291 Likes on 230 Posts

I've seen one tutorial where the person put a hole in the transmission panel, but they also had to put a switch in the dash, which these radios do not need.
Old 03-01-12, 09:49 AM
DB97ES
Driver School Candidate

I recently bought a Philips cassette to aux. insert and it sounds awesome! I plug in my samsung galaxy S II and it really sounds great.
Old 03-03-12, 12:30 PM
jimmyjay
Rookie

Here is the link to the DYI post on this site. This mod does not hardwire a jack into the unit.

How To: Build and Hardwire an Auxillary Input to OEM Stereo

I did this mod on my 3ES about 4 years ago and I have been very happy with the results. Took me most of a day to build the relay cluster and install it behind the glove box. However, if I had known of the Factory Radio Service site linked above I might have gone that route. That's a real clean approach.

Last edited by jimmyjay; 03-03-12 at 12:45 PM. Reason: clarity
Old 03-03-12, 06:14 PM
AntzCro
Driver

Originally Posted by jimmyjay
Here is the link to the DYI post on this site. This mod does not hardwire a jack into the unit.

How To: Build and Hardwire an Auxillary Input to OEM Stereo

I did this mod on my 3ES about 4 years ago and I have been very happy with the results. Took me most of a day to build the relay cluster and install it behind the glove box. However, if I had known of the Factory Radio Service site linked above I might have gone that route. That's a real clean approach.
Thank you so much for that link !
I was just wondering, what mode do you put the stereo on to get Music playing via an i-device ?
Old 03-04-12, 01:09 PM
jimmyjay
Rookie

The relay cluster is installed between the CD changer and the head unit. The DYI proposes a switch to allow you to continue to listen to CDs. You put the head unit in CD mode to listen to the iDevice. The display will show an error in this mode but the sound is fine and it all works.

Also, if you decide to go the DYI approach you will need to find the wiring diagram for your model/year and Nakamichi or Pioneer unit. Some Google searching should find it.

Last edited by jimmyjay; 03-04-12 at 01:13 PM.

Quick Reply: Cassette to AUX adapter ?