ES - 1st to 4th Gen (1990-2006) Forum for all 1990 - 2006 ES300 and ES330 models. ES250 topics go here as well.

ES 330 tires

Search this Thread

Old 01-09-12, 01:04 PM
mommasboy
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default ES 330 tires

Hello everybody, I have a question. Im about to purchase some tires for my 2005 ES330 and I wanted to know if these compare to my OEM tires?
http://www.tirerack.com/tires/tires....0&autoModClar=

or these

http://www.tirebuyer.com/tirebuyerwi...tedItem/137537

One has W rating and the other has a V rating. My car specifies a V rating, but I dont drive over 100 mph usually, lol. Minus the speed is there any difference between W and V?

Thanks in advance for your help.

Last edited by mommasboy; 01-09-12 at 01:09 PM.
Old 01-09-12, 02:21 PM
mitsuguy
Maintenance Moderator

Received 24 Likes on 21 Posts

In short, the Nexen's are junk, the Continentals are good all season tires...

The OEM tire on your car was probably a V rated Bridgestone touring tire, while the Conti's are a little more performance oriented...

I would suggest browsing others recommendations in the Tires, Wheels and Brakes forum...
Old 01-09-12, 06:31 PM
captainva
Instructor

Received 269 Likes on 236 Posts

As mitsuguy said Nexens are trash . Only buy name brand tires. They'll handle better and have far less road noise. If you're looking for quiet comfterable tires Goodyear Assurance ComforTred Touring are nice. They have a lot of grip (for a touring tire), little road noise, and are comfortable. Plus they have a very long tread life.
Old 01-09-12, 06:58 PM
pauloil
Pole Position

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Muffinizer
As mitsuguy said Nexens are trash . Only buy name brand tires. They'll handle better and have far less road noise. If you're looking for quiet comfterable tires Goodyear Assurance ComforTred Touring are nice. They have a lot of grip (for a touring tire), little road noise, and are comfortable. Plus they have a very long tread life.
+1 plus if you buy on the goodyear card may get nice rebate and 6 mos same as cash
Old 01-09-12, 07:19 PM
pauloil
Pole Position

http://www.goodyear.com/en-US/tires/...ortred-touring
I got a set this summer for a net cost of $500, looks like the price has gone up some

current rebate:
http://www.goodyear.com/en-US/tires/tire-coupon/
Old 01-09-12, 07:21 PM
captainva
Instructor

Received 269 Likes on 236 Posts

I forgot about that, you get $80 cash back when you buy Goodyear tires or $160 with a Goodyear card
Old 01-10-12, 08:04 PM
orion603
Rookie

recently purchased yokohama YK580 for around $630. I am pretty happy with those.
Old 01-11-12, 06:19 AM
mommasboy
Driver School Candidate

Thanks for the info guys. I think im going to go with the continentals. A shop around me has them for $660.
Old 01-11-12, 10:50 AM
Yurka
Intermediate

Received 14 Likes on 11 Posts

i got continentals myself, im pretty satisfied with them, would suggest you those
Old 01-14-12, 04:46 PM
plovell
Rookie

I have Yokohama for both summer and winter wheels. They are flawless in wear and wear.
I would agree on the comment about Nexus tires. I bought a set of 4 for my mini-van which gets just day to day driving....nothing serious. They are nothing short of pathetic. Belts slipping, uneven wear, impossible to balance, noisy etc. You get what you pay for when it comes to tires.
Old 01-14-12, 07:50 PM
Timothyj
Pole Position

I agree with that. I run Michelin Exalto A/S in good weather and Firestone Winterforce in crappy Michigan weather, with steel ugly rims. The Michelin tires are v-rated, I wouldn't go with anything less then a h rated tire. Tire Rack is a good place for reviews.
Old 01-14-12, 10:28 PM
97'ES
Driver

The Goodyear comfortred touring were excellent. Capable and quiet in every way...
Old 01-18-12, 07:33 AM
Megafast13
Instructor

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

The Best tires for the ES are the Michelin Primacy's or Bridgestone Potenzas
Old 01-18-12, 12:16 PM
mkeeney
Rookie

Originally Posted by Muffinizer
What makes Nexen tires trash? Is it only because they're not a recognized brand that you see on TV? The reviews are very good.

I have a '97 ES with 267k miles on it, so I've gone through some tires. You may scoff if you like, but the best tires I've had on it were Kumho. I'm on the third set now. I started with two sets of KH16's then moved to the Ecsta LX Platinum when they became available. I have also had Michelin Energy MXV4, Pirelli P6000 SV, and Bridgestone Turanza LS-V. The worst tires were the Michelins. The were the only tires I've ever owned - in over 700,000 miles of driving - that experienced tread separation, and it happened on two of them. The second-worst were the Pirelli's. The more they wore, the louder they got, and they were done in under 30k miles.

I'm an engineer in the auto industry and I used to work for one of the tires companies above. If you form your opinions strictly based on advertising and perception, I can guarantee you're not getting your money's worth when you buy tires.
Old 01-18-12, 05:30 PM
97'ES
Driver

Originally Posted by mkeeney
What makes Nexen tires trash? Is it only because they're not a recognized brand that you see on TV? The reviews are very good.

I have a '97 ES with 267k miles on it, so I've gone through some tires. You may scoff if you like, but the best tires I've had on it were Kumho. I'm on the third set now. I started with two sets of KH16's then moved to the Ecsta LX Platinum when they became available. I have also had Michelin Energy MXV4, Pirelli P6000 SV, and Bridgestone Turanza LS-V. The worst tires were the Michelins. The were the only tires I've ever owned - in over 700,000 miles of driving - that experienced tread separation, and it happened on two of them. The second-worst were the Pirelli's. The more they wore, the louder they got, and they were done in under 30k miles.

I'm an engineer in the auto industry and I used to work for one of the tires companies above. If you form your opinions strictly based on advertising and perception, I can guarantee you're not getting your money's worth when you buy tires.
Awful lot of people on tirerack very happy with their michelins... You get what you pay for in the world of tires and korea and china are not the places you want manufacturing your tires.

Quick Reply: ES 330 tires