ES - 1st to 4th Gen (1990-2006) Forum for all 1990 - 2006 ES300 and ES330 models. ES250 topics go here as well.

Lower Control Arm and Ball Joint Replacement

Search this Thread

Old 01-07-12, 12:14 PM
PlatES300
Lead Lap

Received 9 Likes on 7 Posts

had to replace both control arms on my parents es330. It was a total PITA to say the least. We had to remove the engine mounts on both sides and used a jack to lift up the engine so we could get the angle to remove/install the control arm. Took a total of 4 hours to get both sides done. By far the dumbest design ever.
Old 01-07-12, 01:17 PM
Coulter
Intermediate

Received 22 Likes on 18 Posts

Originally Posted by Muffinizer
I got it fixed yesterday and it was $1300, $850 for labor and $450 for parts...
Was this for both sides to be done, or just the side that hit the curb?

I'm sorry to say I think you really got gouged on this job, $1300 to replace a single control arm is highway robbery. Regardless of what the "book" says, I GUARANTEE you the mechanic didn't completely pull the engine out to do that job.

For a single side to be done, somewhere around $300-$400 total would be my best guess.
Old 01-08-12, 02:08 PM
captainva
Instructor

Received 269 Likes on 236 Posts

It was only for the side that hit the curb
The following users liked this post:
Marle (03-25-21)
Old 02-29-12, 11:11 AM
ikant
Rookie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Muffinizer
I got it fixed yesterday and it was $1300, $850 for labor and $450 for parts...
I got quoted $1103 for replacement of my control arms/ball joints [96 ES300]. After seeing the prices for replacement parts, I realize the cost is about 75% labor, which is ridiculous!!
Old 03-05-12, 06:11 AM
captainva
Instructor

Received 269 Likes on 236 Posts

Originally Posted by ikant
I got quoted $1103 for replacement of my control arms/ball joints [96 ES300]. After seeing the prices for replacement parts, I realize the cost is about 75% labor, which is ridiculous!!
When I got the arm of my car replaced the mechanic told me that to get to the lower control arm off, he had to undo the engine mounts and tilt it to get to the bolts that hold the arm on. This is why it is so expensive. Poor design on Lexus's part
Old 03-05-12, 09:58 AM
01LEXPL
Lead Lap

Received 68 Likes on 58 Posts

control arms a 45$/side on rockauto.com LOL
Old 10-25-13, 11:54 AM
EclipseAWD
10th Gear

Posting this in case someone is viewing this thread. My '06 ES330 w/ 130K miles (I've owned since 90K) had its front wheels out of alignment (steering wheel has to be offset clockwise about 10 degrees for car to be driven in a straight line). My passenger tire has excessive outer camber wear also. I raised the car and noticed no play in the outer/inner tie rods. The driver lower control arm ball joint looks like it has a tear and there was a bit of ball joint grease around the base so I assume that's up for replacement? I have done zero suspension work in the last 40K miles I owned the car and I don't know if anything was done prior to that.

Now, the interesting thing is that the lower control arm (which, from this thread, is a HUGE pain to replace) actually attaches to a smaller assembly that has the ball joint. In effect you can replace the lower control arm ball VERY easily by removing three easy-to-get-to bolts that bolt the control arm to the ball joint "holder". This ball joint is $19 at rockauto, and is extremely DIY from the looks of it. Most will need to replace the ball joint as part of maintenance (with it being a wear part). Offcourse a damaged control arm is more extensive. Even then as somebody said the control arm itself is only $40.
Old 08-21-16, 10:47 AM
Caliglam
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by EclipseAWD
Posting this in case someone is viewing this thread. My '06 ES330 w/ 130K miles (I've owned since 90K) had its front wheels out of alignment (steering wheel has to be offset clockwise about 10 degrees for car to be driven in a straight line). My passenger tire has excessive outer camber wear also. I raised the car and noticed no play in the outer/inner tie rods. The driver lower control arm ball joint looks like it has a tear and there was a bit of ball joint grease around the base so I assume that's up for replacement? I have done zero suspension work in the last 40K miles I owned the car and I don't know if anything was done prior to that.

Now, the interesting thing is that the lower control arm (which, from this thread, is a HUGE pain to replace) actually attaches to a smaller assembly that has the ball joint. In effect you can replace the lower control arm ball VERY easily by removing three easy-to-get-to bolts that bolt the control arm to the ball joint "holder". This ball joint is $19 at rockauto, and is extremely DIY from the looks of it. Most will need to replace the ball joint as part of maintenance (with it being a wear part). Offcourse a damaged control arm is more extensive. Even then as somebody said the control arm itself is only $40.
Can someone chime in and help me. I have both control arms with ball joints and both sway bar links. Is this a job that can be done at home? Any write ups? I don't have the funds to do it at a Lexus dealer
Old 08-21-16, 11:30 AM
Hayk
Lead Lap

Received 291 Likes on 230 Posts

Originally Posted by Caliglam
Can someone chime in and help me. I have both control arms with ball joints and both sway bar links. Is this a job that can be done at home? Any write ups? I don't have the funds to do it at a Lexus dealer
What year is your ES?
Old 08-26-16, 02:55 PM
surgeon0
Pit Crew

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts

Originally Posted by Caliglam
If you have the tools, you can do this yourself. Check out youtube and review first. Do a search on this forum as well, they will come up. Not all subforums have a diy thread with list, just separate threads in search. I have done these items myself for all our cars.

www.youtube.com/watch?v=Twt47cvQFjY
Old 05-03-19, 07:48 PM
djayz4u
Rookie

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I had to change an axle so changed the right (pass) control arm. Part was $80, and if this was all I had to do this is a 2 hr job. Hardest part was having to raise the engine to get enough clearance to remove the motor mount as one of the bolts for the arm is behind it. Other than this I cannot see the high cost. Glad you for it fixed and its behind you. This was on an ES 330.
Old 05-03-19, 10:50 PM
ilkinandr
Intermediate

Received 36 Likes on 31 Posts

Skilled mechanic would have this done in 2 hours or less. Paid $200 in labor to get both of mine replaced. OEM parts can be bought cheap depending on where you got them.