ES - 1st to 4th Gen (1990-2006) Forum for all 1990 - 2006 ES300 and ES330 models. ES250 topics go here as well.

coolant system issue and Im stumped

Search this Thread

Old 12-29-11, 02:06 PM
johnblagg
Rookie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default coolant system issue and Im stumped

Not losing water anywhere I can see and no coolant seems to be coming out exahust but top hose collapses when the car is shut off and cools down .....for some reason she will not pull any out of the resivior tank back into the system ....over the last week the coolant tank di get low but not by much.

If I pull the line going to the resivior tank off they are open and I can blow through them with no resistance at all.

What could cause this....I will be buying a new lower hose to replace that one since I did replace the top hose
Old 12-29-11, 02:24 PM
PFB
Lexus Champion

Received 44 Likes on 39 Posts

Although there could be other causes, what you describe is a classic symptom of a coolant leak. If you can't find the source of the leak, use a UV dye.

Last edited by PFB; 12-29-11 at 03:23 PM.
Old 12-29-11, 03:34 PM
LeX2K
Lexus Champion

Received 2,707 Likes on 2,292 Posts

Could be a bad radiator cap. There is a check valve in the cap that opens/closes depending on temperature. Also the upper hose itself might be failing.
Old 12-29-11, 04:30 PM
johnblagg
Rookie

Originally Posted by Lexus2000
Could be a bad radiator cap. There is a check valve in the cap that opens/closes depending on temperature. Also the upper hose itself might be failing.
Upper hose is brand new and the cap on the filler neck is also new ...radiator cap is not that old but not new .....I took the cap off the overflow tank today and cleaned it out good and made sure it is functioning correctly ....planning on replacing lower hose to be sure as well and eleminate it as a possibility .

upper hose will collapse totaly flat and when I remove the filler neck cap there is a lot of vacuum in the system.When I first replaced the filler neck cap I could squeeze the hose and push coolant into the overflow tank and never saw this issue untill today , but I did notice not long ago that it will no longer do that so it could be that cap in fact.

Temp gauge was just a touch over what she runs at normaly today and is why I checked.Well I was also replacing the last section of old vacuum line today also because it is the larger size going to cold start injector and I had none so bought that today as well.
Old 12-29-11, 04:36 PM
Hayk
Lead Lap

Received 291 Likes on 230 Posts

There is a third hose in between the two heads, don't forget that one.
Old 12-29-11, 04:39 PM
johnblagg
Rookie

Originally Posted by MrBooby
There is a third hose in between the two heads, don't forget that one.
THANKS ...I did know this but ,I did in fact forget it was there
Old 12-29-11, 06:47 PM
LeX2K
Lexus Champion

Received 2,707 Likes on 2,292 Posts

I still think you should replace the rad cap just to be sure, original part only no aftermarket here. Getting the system pressure tested first would be a big help, also you might have air trapped in the system.
Old 12-29-11, 07:53 PM
johnblagg
Rookie

well original part is hard to get out in the boonies so it will have to be ordered online,But I did go to town and buy both tonight new and did clean everything to and from the res tank ...after putting the new ones on I discovered th eline from res tank to filler neck was far looser than it should be so I took it off and cut the old end off and got it on tighter but will be replacing the factory original clamp there with a real clamp tomorrow.

After the new caps and cutting the wore out end off the hose and tightening it up it seems that squeezing the top hose does cause the overflow line to move like coolant is going through it now ....I am letting her cool off now and will go out and see if the hose collaspes again later but I think I need to flush the system out and make sure she is clean and radiator is not clogged up and not a issue ...maintance is far cheaper than repairs and I have decided I will be keeping this old girl for a few years and one pice at a time fix everything on her and enjoy her.
Old 12-29-11, 10:12 PM
johnblagg
Rookie

ok new caps and tightened the overflow hose at the filler neck and problem seems to be resolved ....NOW

What is the sensor just beside the filler neck going to ,I assume it is a temp sensor ,but I see one by the thermostat and I know where the temperature sensor that feeds the signal to the ecu is on the drivers side but this one I dont have any clue as to what its function is. single wire and tiny and I am guessing its temperature related but for what ?
Old 12-30-11, 08:17 AM
johnblagg
Rookie

went outside today and she did suck in coolant from the tank last night when she cooled off so the new caps plus the issue with the hose fixed it ....the hose was just loose enough to allow coolant to flow into the tank but then under vacuum allow air to suck back instead of coolant I think ....but I also think a caps were defective for I cold not squueze the upper hose and force coolant into tank ....

Hint for others with this issue if the line from the filler neck is loose enough to twist easily it is loose enough to let air back in instead of coolant and old hard hoses = loose fit since they no longer grip and hold tightly