ES - 1st to 4th Gen (1990-2006) Forum for all 1990 - 2006 ES300 and ES330 models. ES250 topics go here as well.
View Poll Results: 2-tone or solid ES 300 (any year)?
2-tone (one color on top, lower panel another color)
57.22%
solid color
42.78%
Voters: 374. You may not vote on this poll

Do you like the ES 300 as a 2-tone car or 1 solid color?

Search this Thread

Old 06-28-08, 06:12 PM
mooseboy84
Rookie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

If you drive a 2nd gen, it has to be 2 tone or it wont look right. Even early 3rd gens should be 2 tones.

Anything after 01 it doesnt work well. There are all solids that look nice, but 2 tone is so sexy. It gives it that illustrious and classic lexus look.

Im thinking about painting my car, and going from the clasic pearl and grey. I want it to be two tones.
Old 06-20-14, 09:38 PM
Mutek
Driver School Candidate

I would love to see a properly faded two tone for light colors such as the Pearl and Silver combinations. Now that would stand out!
Old 11-15-14, 11:37 AM
shickalee
Driver School Candidate

Default 2 tone is old school imo...

I have a 2000 ES300 Platinum Edition, Black/Gray. I liked it at first but have grown tired of it. I think the two tone is dated. I am in need of an overall paint job, so I am going to take the opportunity to paint all black and add some other mods. I will post before and after pics when completed.
Old 11-15-14, 11:45 AM
Kira X
美少女戦士セーラームーン

Received 408 Likes on 336 Posts

I love the two tone look. It goes really well with the car. The ES looks weird without it. The same goes for the LS400 and W140 S Class Benz.
Old 11-15-14, 12:12 PM
shickalee
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by Kira X
I love the two tone look. It goes really well with the car. The ES looks weird without it. The same goes for the LS400 and W140 S Class Benz.
Obviously it is personal opinion. I think the two tone now looks cheezy and dated. I will post pics when done with my updates.

Here are my updates:

Exterior:

- Painted entire car mono including grill and chrome trim - Matte Black (Kirker Automotive Paints)
- Debadged other than rear Lexus symbols on trunk
- Add rear OEM spoiler with brake light
- Added low profile sunroof wind deflector for some structure

Interior: very little updates planned

- Interior is in great shape including charcoal black leather seats
- Plan to vinyl wrap wood grain dash pieces on console and steering wheel most likely 3M brushed Black Metallic

I removed Lexus hood badge. I may add badge to grille but haven't decided yet...stock badge is a little large for my liking.
Attached Thumbnails Do you like the ES 300 as a 2-tone car or 1 solid color?-2000-lexus-es300-matte-black.jpg  

Last edited by shickalee; 03-09-15 at 09:53 AM.
Old 11-15-14, 12:56 PM
LeX2K
Lexus Champion

Received 2,699 Likes on 2,285 Posts

Your car is going to look like a riced out Civic.
Old 11-15-14, 02:12 PM
shickalee
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by Lexus2000
Your car is going to look like a riced out Civic.
Hardly imo, but you are entitled to your opinion... . More like a Lexus IS 300 but Civics are cool...I want sporty not two tone cutting edge from15 years ago...
Old 11-15-14, 03:16 PM
Kira X
美少女戦士セーラームーン

Received 408 Likes on 336 Posts
Smile

Originally Posted by shickalee
Obviously it is personal opinion. I think the two tone now looks cheezy and dated. I will post pics when done with my updates.

Here are my planned updates:

Exterior:

- Paint upper tone OEM black onyx 202
- Paint lower tone matte black
- 3M vinyl wrap of hood matte black not carbon fiber
- Debadge other than rear Lexus symbol on trunk but will paint Lexus badge in flat black
- Add rear OEM spoiler with brake light
- Add low profile sunroof wind deflector for some structure
- Powder coat or Plasti Dip rims metallic silver
- Paint all chrome trim matte black

Interior: very little updates planned

- Interior is in great shape including charcoal leather seats
- Plan to vinyl wrap wood grain dash pieces on console and window control panels in brushed aluminum
- I will leave black and wood grain steering wheel as is.

I am open to other suggestions....
The two tone look is definitely outdated but I really like it for some reason.
Old 11-15-14, 04:41 PM
LeX2K
Lexus Champion

Received 2,699 Likes on 2,285 Posts

Originally Posted by shickalee
Hardly imo, but you are entitled to your opinion...
Well you said you were open to suggestions Don't like the flat spray on treatments plus I love the 2-tone look it's fairly unique. Same with the wood treatment I would never cover it up, seems like you're trying to make a Lexus something it is not but it's your car.
Old 11-15-14, 06:49 PM
shickalee
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by Lexus2000
Well you said you were open to suggestions Don't like the flat spray on treatments plus I love the 2-tone look it's fairly unique. Same with the wood treatment I would never cover it up, seems like you're trying to make a Lexus something it is not but it's your car.
The flat is going to be black and on the rocker panels and bumpers which is really keeping in line with the existing two tone just less contrast but there still be a two tone contrast. The spoiler and sunroof deflector are both OEM options. I am using the existing dash plates with OEM stereo just changing from wood grain to brushed aluminum which is a clean modern option on every Lexus package. The vinyl wrap on the hood is not carbon fiber, so not civicish at all and offers less glare for driver plus will protect hood against paint chip damage. Every change is reversible, spoiler is bolt on, deflector just screws off as well, vinyl wraps peel off, and rocker panels/bumpers can be repainted to OEM color. Trying to make a Lexus something it is not would be something far more drastic. I am just freshening up with some new paint and accessories mostly offered from the dealer as an option at time of purchase even back in 2000.

**Update** Per my post above ended up going Matte Black on entire car.

Last edited by shickalee; 03-09-15 at 09:55 AM.
Old 11-16-14, 06:44 PM
imherenow
Racer

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts

ya i like the 2 tone colour...its unique to see on public roads..and also i have had many service guys (non-lexus service shops) comment on the like on the 2 tones.
Old 11-16-14, 07:34 PM
shickalee
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by imherenow
ya i like the 2 tone color...its unique to see on public roads..and also i have had many service guys (non-lexus service shops) comment on the like on the 2 tones.
I like the tww tone but ready for a change up. It is dated imo, I've decided to paint the upper half the OEM black 202 and the lower half in matte black using plasti-dip that way I get a the paint refreshed as it is sorely needed anyways and still have an updated two tone effect but more subtle. The Plasti-dip is not permanent, so I can just peel off the matte black if prefer to go back the lower color as dark grey metallic.

Last edited by shickalee; 11-16-14 at 07:45 PM.
Old 11-16-14, 07:36 PM
shickalee
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by EGainer
i think that only a few colors look good being solid color. some colors need that gray on the bottom i think. black or other dark colors seem to look good solid
Good point and I agree as I think my black would look better without the grey. I am going to go conservative and just matte black the lower trim with plasti-dip.

**update** ended up going the entire car in matte black paint. Personally, it is just the look I wanted, so i am happy but realize not for everyone.
Attached Thumbnails Do you like the ES 300 as a 2-tone car or 1 solid color?-2000-lexus-es300-matte-black.jpg  

Last edited by shickalee; 03-09-15 at 06:23 PM.
Old 01-29-17, 10:40 AM
shickalee
Driver School Candidate

Further update: I ended up painting in Nardo Grey one of my favorite colors used on the Audi RS7's. I also trimmed out in Kirker Matte Black to include mirrors, roof, front grill, rockers, extra set of Borbet rims (not currently mounted), rear spoiler is off of a Camry XLE, installed hood vents. I will be installing mudflaps, and the Lexus emblems. I have moved onto a Land Cruiser as my daily driver, so as soon as I address the trans code issue, currently shifts smoothly but no overdrive getting code P0768. I will be listing for sale, if anyone is interested shoot me a PM. This is not a flip type sale as I have owned the Lexus for approx 8 years and 100k wonderful miles. I just have too many vehicles (6 currently). I recently had brakes gone through, struts and shocks, all the way around, master air flow sensor, O2 sensors,new belts, front control arms, right rear control arms, complete tune up, new reman power steering pump, both vvt solenoids. I have a used 02' Camry U140E tans with 130k miles and a 90 day warranty but getting my ducks in a row before I have installed. I have poured way more money into than I am going to get out of it but this Lexus has been a champ and anything mechanically that needed to be addressed I have done so without reservation. The engine is tight with great power, no leaks and does not burn oil, interior is nearly perfect (small tear ps visor, cup holders ps side plactic arm broke off, and no rust issues. I used M1 for oil changes religiously.
Attached Thumbnails Do you like the ES 300 as a 2-tone car or 1 solid color?-dsc_0105.jpg   Do you like the ES 300 as a 2-tone car or 1 solid color?-es300-ps.jpg   Do you like the ES 300 as a 2-tone car or 1 solid color?-es300-roof.jpg