ES - 1st to 4th Gen (1990-2006) Forum for all 1990 - 2006 ES300 and ES330 models. ES250 topics go here as well.

Rear Suspension Noise on 97 ES300 - need to fix!

Old 12-07-11, 02:26 AM
LEX ES300
Intermediate

Received 12 Likes on 10 Posts
Default Rear Suspension Noise on 97 ES300 - need to fix!

For months now I have had very annoying rear suspension noises on my 97 ES300. The noises only happen when the car is colder and it only happens occasionally going over speed bumps, or larger bumps so I'm hoping its one of the rubber bushes and not the rear struts and strut mounts. (i had to replace my front struts and mounts a while ago so I know what that sounds like and its different)
The noise sounds like a small plank of wood loose in my trunk but only when I go over a speed bump. The noise doesn't happen on small bumps in the road. I have also had some mild creaking noises coming from rear when I initially go over a small kerb when its cold in the morning . Again the noises go away when its hot and they don't seem to happen if I just stand next to the trunk from the outside of my car and push the boot down to make the car bounce up and down.

I have already replaced the rear sway bar bushings but the noise persists!! .

I have read the other posts on this issue but need another opinion. I'm hoping its not the rear struts and rear strut mounts because they are costly and I want to sell my vehicle soon.

I want to replace as many of the rear bushes that I can in the hope that one it is just worn out somewhere. I figure this will be less costly than replacing the rear struts and mounts unnecessarily in case it isn't the struts?

Who else has had this problem and what should I start replacing?
Old 12-07-11, 09:56 AM
01LEXPL
Lead Lap

Received 68 Likes on 58 Posts

Outside of bushings & endlinks - you're left with the struts/mounts

I had this noise, still AFTER having changed my bushings & endlinks. Ended up being these needed replacement;
Old 12-07-11, 04:35 PM
marcusr69
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Hi I've had a problematic noise as well from the rear and the symptoms were the same as you described. At first I thought it was the strut mounts and i tried to lubricate them with with lithium grease like I did the front (noise stopped in front) but I found after further digging the noise was actually coming from the lower rear control arm/trailing arm/frame to knuckle. The rear most bushing that connects to the knuckle under the spindle.

I jacked up the car and supported with stands and removed the bolt that holds the control/trailing arm and gently pryed a flathead screwdriver between the bushing and the metal surround and squirted white lithium in between. Tried to get the grease around the whole bushing.

Not completely sure if the white lithium is the appropriate to use but I tried sylicone spray and the noise came back kinda quick.

It was driving me crazy so I just used the lithium spray grease and problem solved. Did it beginning of spring and thought forsure the noise would be back this winter but WOOHOO no noise. Front strut mounts are still quiet also.

Best is I've not noised any poor performance or any looseness in the car. Looked under it this passed weekend and all was still intact. Car has about 94K miles on it and everything is original.

Here's an ebay auction number (260813561372) for a similar part but for an earlier year but they look the same.

Good luck...
Old 12-08-11, 04:51 AM
MikeLex
Lead Lap

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by marcusr69
Hi I've had a problematic noise as well from the rear and the symptoms were the same as you described. At first I thought it was the strut mounts and i tried to lubricate them with with lithium grease like I did the front (noise stopped in front) but I found after further digging the noise was actually coming from the lower rear control arm/trailing arm/frame to knuckle. The rear most bushing that connects to the knuckle under the spindle.

I jacked up the car and supported with stands and removed the bolt that holds the control/trailing arm and gently pryed a flathead screwdriver between the bushing and the metal surround and squirted white lithium in between. Tried to get the grease around the whole bushing.

Not completely sure if the white lithium is the appropriate to use but I tried sylicone spray and the noise came back kinda quick.

It was driving me crazy so I just used the lithium spray grease and problem solved. Did it beginning of spring and thought forsure the noise would be back this winter but WOOHOO no noise. Front strut mounts are still quiet also.

Best is I've not noised any poor performance or any looseness in the car. Looked under it this passed weekend and all was still intact. Car has about 94K miles on it and everything is original.

Here's an ebay auction number (260813561372) for a similar part but for an earlier year but they look the same.

Or replace the old bushings with a pair of these (one for each side): http://www.ebay.com/itm/577-ES300-Re...7#ht_500wt_922
Old 12-08-11, 10:16 AM
bjterry62
Driver School Candidate

Had the same type of noise coming from my '00 ES300. Replaced the Sway Bar Links & Suspension Bar Bushings (get right size, mine were 16mm) and it took care of it. Be careful removing the bolts from the Sus. Bar Bushing brackets because the twist off EASY! I had to replace both Sub Assemblies because of this. Fortunately, the sub assemblies are affordable and available at Lexuspartsnow.com. Part numbers are Right - 52203-33010 & Left - 52204-33010. They DO NOT come with new bolts. Pick some up at your local parts store 8mm x 16mm.

BT
Old 12-08-11, 12:05 PM
PFB
Lexus Champion

Received 44 Likes on 39 Posts

This may sound too simplistic, but make sure that your spare tire, the spare tire cover, the Jack, or anything else that you may have in the trunk is not loose.

Also make sure that your exhaust system is secure.
Old 12-08-11, 03:23 PM
BradTank
Racer

Received 170 Likes on 116 Posts

Originally Posted by marcusr69

Good luck...
Lithium spray grease will stop the noise, but the problem is it usually contains petroleum distillates that will break down the rubber even further, sort of a melting effect.

The best stuff to use for rubber bushings is a silicone grease, like Sil-Glyde, that you can get at places like NAPA. It's waterproof and thick enough to stay on there, but it won't break down the rubber. You can take the old bushing off and lube it up, but it's probably going to be a regular maintenance item for the noise to stay away.

The best solution is to replace it with the above mentioned bushing, especially since you'll have to go to the trouble of removing it anyway to lube:
http://www.ebay.com/itm/577-ES300-Re...7#ht_500wt_922

I highly recommend this procedure, I'm sure EVERY single ES300 needs to have it replaced by this point. Mine was sounding like an old spring mattress whenever I went over a bump. It was like a dried up baseball when I removed mine. The sound went away after replacement, and it was an easy job to do.
Old 12-08-11, 10:01 PM
LEX ES300
Intermediate

Wow thanks to all the members for the replies and advice! Greatly appreciated!

I have decided to start off by buying the rear trailing arm bushings from ebay and installing them. Just ordered them now but they may take a while to arrive as I live overseas.
I am really hoping this will put an end to the noise at minimal $$ cost.

I will keep everyone updated on the progress in this thread!

Keep the suggestions coming...... Thanks
Old 12-09-11, 06:29 AM
DonInBosto
Driver School Candidate

I've got these on my watch list on ebay thinking I'm going to need these to eliminate the rattling rear end noise on my 00 ES300 Camry Rear Shock Absorber Strut And Spring Driver Left Side LH 3.0L
Order by Noon EST and this part ships today
Price: US $88.95 with free shipping
!http://www.ebay.com/itm/310344071905...ht_1851wt_1156

Both sides are available. Seems like a decent price for strut and spring.
Old 12-09-11, 08:11 AM
MikeLex
Lead Lap

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by DonInBosto
I've got these on my watch list on ebay thinking I'm going to need these to eliminate the rattling rear end noise on my 00 ES300 Camry Rear Shock Absorber Strut And Spring Driver Left Side LH 3.0L
Order by Noon EST and this part ships today
Price: US $88.95 with free shipping
!http://www.ebay.com/itm/310344071905...ht_1851wt_1156

Both sides are available. Seems like a decent price for strut and spring.
Just a word of advice: the aforementioned bushing is a possible solution for characteristic creaking noises (old spring mattress noise when going over a speed bump) in the rear end. However, they are not intended to eliminate rattling, clunking, knocking or any other metallic noises, except, of course, if the old bushings are completely destroyed. When I changed mine, the old ones looked perfect even though they were bad.
Old 12-09-11, 10:06 PM
DonInBosto
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by MikeLex
Just a word of advice: the aforementioned bushing is a possible solution for characteristic creaking noises (old spring mattress noise when going over a speed bump) in the rear end. However, they are not intended to eliminate rattling, clunking, knocking or any other metallic noises, except, of course, if the old bushings are completely destroyed. When I changed mine, the old ones looked perfect even though they were bad.
Already purchased the bushings, I plan on doing this one time and replace all components while I'm at it.
Old 12-10-11, 02:09 PM
OceanView
Lead Lap

Received 6 Likes on 4 Posts

Anyone gonna do a DIY?
I may have to do this as well as I am starting to hear noises when it's cold outside.
Old 01-12-12, 04:30 AM
LEX ES300
Intermediate

Ok, so my trailing armbushings have arrived from overseas!
I will be going to my mechanics tomorrow for the cars regular service so I'll get them to install the 2 bushings. I really hope this solves the issue - I've had enough of the annoying noise.
I'll let everyone know how it goes.
Old 01-14-12, 01:20 AM
LEX ES300
Intermediate

Got my car back and road tested after replacing the rear trailing arm bushings and its still not fixed, the noise persists!!

So Ive done the sway bar bushings, the trailing arm bushings, so I guess the next thing is the Sway bar end links.

I just want this fixed without spending a fortune - easier said than done
Old 02-16-12, 01:17 PM
2000se300
Driver School Candidate

have you fit the problem yet

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Rear Suspension Noise on 97 ES300 - need to fix!