ES - 1st to 4th Gen (1990-2006) Forum for all 1990 - 2006 ES300 and ES330 models. ES250 topics go here as well.

ES 300 fuel consumption

Search this Thread

Old 11-17-11, 09:44 PM
Knota
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default ES 300 fuel consumption

Hello guys,

I have 99 ES300 and my consumption is getting higher and higher.
These days i can run about 300miles on full tank.

How many miles you can run on full tank?
Is this normal?

Can you check what's wrong?

Thank you

John
knota88@gmail.com
Old 11-18-11, 05:00 AM
imherenow
Racer

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts

ya i too get around 340mile but thats with 90%city and 10%hwy..
what kind of driving u get with that many miles..is it city or hwy or mixed?
-i try to drive and take care of the car as much i can to save max on gas..like i always put in 91 octane fuel and keep a log of each time i fill up and see if i get any improvement from last time...and i have def noticed that filling with higher octane i get higher gas mileage with more miles on tank compare to regular.
- i check my tire pressure every saturday since i wash it every saturday too
- no unnecessary weight needed in car trunk
- Do the regular maintenance..and not just oil changes but also other stuff depending on the car mileage
- AND i m thinking of removing the spare tire since i have a tire seal gel can and a tire pressure pump..like some newer cars have

So u see there are many factors that determine gas cons. give us some more info on what type of driving and fuel u put in
Old 11-18-11, 09:45 AM
285exp
Pole Position

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

The 1999 ES is rated at 24 hwy, 17 city, and 19 combined. You appear to be getting around 20, so if your driving is mostly highway you are getting poor mileage, if you're driving mostly city you're getting better than average, and if it's a mix you're doing about what is expected. You might want to start keeping track of miles driven and gallons consumed over several months, mpg is a much better metric than miles per tank, and it will let you compare your cars mileage to what is expected more accurately. One or two tanks doesn't tell you a lot. I have a 97 and an 00ES, and both of them get very close to what the CAFE ratings are. I usually get about 26-27 highway at around 75 mph, 17-18 in purely city driving, and over the past year it has averaged around 20.9 mpg. Several long trips made most of that mileage highway driving.

You can try using premium fuel, but the added mpg is unlikely to be worth the higher cost. Around here, premium is about 10% more expensive than regular, so if you don't get at least 10% better mileage you might get better mileage but spend more per mile. I've tried using premium in my 97 and 00 ES's and found no measurable difference in mileage over regular, so I use regular. Once again, one or two tanks is not enough to determine whether your mileage is actually better or worse, you need to do it over several tanks and try to make sure the type of driving you're doing is consistent. It doesn't tell you anything if you drive mostly city on one tank and mostly highway on another.

It's always good to make sure your tires are properly inflated, but unless they're very underinflated they're not going to make a big difference. You can lose around .3% per 1 psi all 4 tires are underinflated, and overinflating them is just going to make your ride harsher and can increase tire wear. I run mine around 32, which is about 3 lbs more than Lexus recommends. Their recommendation is geared toward a softer ride rather than handling and higher fuel economy. Also a good idea to make sure all maintenance is up to date.

It's certainly a good idea to not carry any unnecessary weight in the car, but I'm not going to lose the spare tire and trust a can of tire sealant. I've had flats that a can of tire sealant would be useless to fix, and I like that these cars have a real full size spare in them.

One thing that may be affecting your mileage is that the gasoline distributors are changing over to the winter blend, and you will get less mileage with winter blend fuel. Colder weather also decreases mileage because it takes the coolant in the engine and the lubricants in the drivetrain longer to warm up. The engine runs richer until it is warmed up, and the thicker lubricants add more resistance.
Old 11-18-11, 04:03 PM
RXGS
Lexus Test Driver

Received 210 Likes on 171 Posts

I've gotten as low as 17 and as high as 30. On a trip back from nyc i got 30 mpg going 80?
Old 11-27-11, 07:36 PM
jankiwi
Driver School Candidate

i get about 340 to a tank
Old 11-27-11, 07:51 PM
01LEXPL
Lead Lap

Received 68 Likes on 58 Posts

My all time high was just below 400 all highway roadtrip.

Average? 300ish
Old 11-27-11, 08:28 PM
Hayk
Lead Lap

Received 291 Likes on 230 Posts

I get about 370 when the light turns on, but I fill up after 320-340 miles, that's at about 1/4 of a tank left. At that point, I fill up with about 13-14 gallons and I've been keeping track of my mileage since I bought the car in July. On average, I get about 24-26 MPG with 80% highway.
Old 11-28-11, 11:12 PM
GS4_Fiend
Lexus Test Driver

Received 86 Likes on 69 Posts

That's actually not bad. If you haven't yet, replace your air filter and clean your MAF sensor, that will help.
Old 11-29-11, 08:00 AM
Knota
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by 285exp
The 1999 ES is rated at 24 hwy, 17 city, and 19 combined. You appear to be getting around 20, so if your driving is mostly highway you are getting poor mileage, if you're driving mostly city you're getting better than average, and if it's a mix you're doing about what is expected. You might want to start keeping track of miles driven and gallons consumed over several months, mpg is a much better metric than miles per tank, and it will let you compare your cars mileage to what is expected more accurately. One or two tanks doesn't tell you a lot. I have a 97 and an 00ES, and both of them get very close to what the CAFE ratings are. I usually get about 26-27 highway at around 75 mph, 17-18 in purely city driving, and over the past year it has averaged around 20.9 mpg. Several long trips made most of that mileage highway driving.

You can try using premium fuel, but the added mpg is unlikely to be worth the higher cost. Around here, premium is about 10% more expensive than regular, so if you don't get at least 10% better mileage you might get better mileage but spend more per mile. I've tried using premium in my 97 and 00 ES's and found no measurable difference in mileage over regular, so I use regular. Once again, one or two tanks is not enough to determine whether your mileage is actually better or worse, you need to do it over several tanks and try to make sure the type of driving you're doing is consistent. It doesn't tell you anything if you drive mostly city on one tank and mostly highway on another.

It's always good to make sure your tires are properly inflated, but unless they're very underinflated they're not going to make a big difference. You can lose around .3% per 1 psi all 4 tires are underinflated, and overinflating them is just going to make your ride harsher and can increase tire wear. I run mine around 32, which is about 3 lbs more than Lexus recommends. Their recommendation is geared toward a softer ride rather than handling and higher fuel economy. Also a good idea to make sure all maintenance is up to date.

It's certainly a good idea to not carry any unnecessary weight in the car, but I'm not going to lose the spare tire and trust a can of tire sealant. I've had flats that a can of tire sealant would be useless to fix, and I like that these cars have a real full size spare in them.

One thing that may be affecting your mileage is that the gasoline distributors are changing over to the winter blend, and you will get less mileage with winter blend fuel. Colder weather also decreases mileage because it takes the coolant in the engine and the lubricants in the drivetrain longer to warm up. The engine runs richer until it is warmed up, and the thicker lubricants add more resistance.

Thank you for comprehensive description.
Have the car since july, for last few months my mileage is slightly over 300miles per tank in city
and around 400miles when mostly driven on hwy.
Old 11-29-11, 08:03 AM
Knota
Driver School Candidate

Default air filter, MAF sensor

TO GS4_Fiend :

good idea with this, thank you.
absolutely going to check air filter, but can you tell me more about that MAF sensor? - don't really know what u talking about...
Old 11-29-11, 09:48 AM
Jeremy-KY
Pole Position

The most that I've actually gone without a fill up was 537 km I think thats... 330 or so miles.
Old 07-31-16, 08:32 AM
Asadabbas7
Driver School Candidate

Default Es300 fuel consumption

Hey i know this is almost a dead thread.
I have a es300 99 coach edition got it recently. And im getting around 240-260 miles on a full tank. Driving with a light foot 90%
Car has 273xxx miles on it
Experts help
Old 08-01-16, 10:03 AM
285exp
Pole Position

Originally Posted by Asadabbas7
Hey i know this is almost a dead thread.
I have a es300 99 coach edition got it recently. And im getting around 240-260 miles on a full tank. Driving with a light foot 90%
Car has 273xxx miles on it
Experts help
It depends on what kind of driving you do, see my answer above. If mostly city, 17-18 mpg is normal, highway is 26-28, and combined city/hwy is 20-21, so "normal" is 240-350 miles per tank.