ES - 1st to 4th Gen (1990-2006) Forum for all 1990 - 2006 ES300 and ES330 models. ES250 topics go here as well.

Grind noise after a cv axle repair

Old 11-17-11, 08:24 PM
westdallas
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Grind noise after a cv axle repair

I have a 96 es300 my cv axle blew up somehow while driving on the freeway. So i got a new cv axle and replaced it. 1 of the screws that holds the cv to the transmission cup wont go in the thread was damaged. the problem is that when i make a left turn and turn the wheel all the way i hear a loud grinding noise on the front driver tire similar to when you don't shift gears on a stick shift correctly. Now the car while driving at slow speeds shakes. If i turn the steering wheel all the way to the right it does not grind, Now the steering is very hard to do. I don't have any clue what it could be could someone point me in the right direction. i was told by a friend that it may be the wheel bearing but idk because this has never happened before. i did search the forums but i could not find any similar symptoms cause by a post axle repair.
Old 11-17-11, 09:03 PM
LeX2K
Lexus Champion

Received 2,682 Likes on 2,272 Posts

The bolt with the stripped thread, did you just leave that out? Or is it partially installed? One thing I can think of is the axle is not bolted all the way into the hub, how did you tighten the axle nut, was it torqued to spec? Also, did you remove the inner part of the CV joint from the transmission?
Old 11-17-11, 09:29 PM
westdallas
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by Lexus2000
The bolt with the stripped thread, did you just leave that out? Or is it partially installed? One thing I can think of is the axle is not bolted all the way into the hub, how did you tighten the axle nut, was it torqued to spec? Also, did you remove the inner part of the CV joint from the transmission?
6 out of 7 bolts were bolted in and torqued. 1 bolt would not tighten at all. i bough the whole cv axle from autozone. i did not change anything on inside the transmission or anything on my suspension. I checked the power steering and it has plenty of fluid.

The night my cv went out is when the steering took more muscle to do. i though it was just because of the cv axle being broken but now that its fixed the steering is difficult. before my cv axle blew up i would hear a barely audible grind. i always though it was my shocks cause there almost dead but turned out to be the cv axle. the weird thing is that all the bolts came out the cup that comes out the transmission its almost like the unscrewed themselves the day my cv axle broke. if the left wheel bearing went out or is about to go out wouldn't it grind while steering either left or right or grind when driving the vehicle ? if there's anyone in the Dallas TX area that can fix or help me fix this issue i am willing to buy them a bottle of ciroc lol.
Old 11-18-11, 05:58 PM
DRACO A5OG
Lead Lap

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Okay, First what side broke? and did it actually separate?

You mean 5 out of 6, right?

So you have 5 bolts on the trans mount? How did you torque it properly? This may cause the vibration due to in-balance of not having the 6th bolt..

Is the bolt or the receiver crossed?

I recall when I bought a brand new CV joint from AZ it came with , gasket, grease, new bolts and Castle Nut, did you torque the castle nut to spec?

PM me your cell and I will talk you thru it, if you wish.

Jim
Old 11-20-11, 02:41 PM
westdallas
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by DRACO A5OG
Okay, First what side broke? and did it actually separate?

You mean 5 out of 6, right?

So you have 5 bolts on the trans mount? How did you torque it properly? This may cause the vibration due to in-balance of not having the 6th bolt..

Is the bolt or the receiver crossed?

I recall when I bought a brand new CV joint from AZ it came with , gasket, grease, new bolts and Castle Nut, did you torque the castle nut to spec?

PM me your cell and I will talk you thru it, if you wish.

Jim
thanks for the help im going to take another look at the my car during the week if i run into a big issue i will communicate with you privately as a last resort.

i forgot i took pictures lol this is what happened to the cv axle. the bolts came off and the cv axle came off the transmission cup connection. i dont know how that happened it happened while i was driving. The grease went everywhere cause the boot tore up and pieces flew. i dont know the name of that ash tray looking thing where the bolts are received or how to install a replacement.
Old 11-20-11, 03:59 PM
DRACO A5OG
Lead Lap

OK, that is your axel to trans end. it can be popped out to replaced if needed. I just replaced my trans and popped the old CV joint axel to trans end right into the trans with a new seal. It is held by a snap ring. Manuals says to replace but if it is in good condition, there is no need.

So the bolt sheared off and left the threaded part in that end? If so try to use a vise grip and turn it out. But as I recall you wrote it crossed some how or will not receive a bolt. You may want to re-thread it???

If you only have 5 out of 6 bolts, the axle will be out of balance.

Also did you replace the CV gasket that goes there? only Toyota has that gasket, your FLAPS will not. Ask me how I now ;P

Once you corrected the stripped receiving end or replace the axle end you need to start over. Make sure the CV joint you replaced is not damaged, Remove and make certain it does not bind when you move it uni-directionally, if it binds you have damaged the internal cage, sorry.

Jim

Good news that is your driver side, check to see it the joint hit the power steering lines, if not, your steering issue could be related to improperly installed CV joint due to binding issues.
Old 11-20-11, 04:04 PM
DRACO A5OG
Lead Lap

Oh yeah torque specs are very important here and you MUST use a star progressive pattern, be patient here and do it right.

500-1000 miles later re-check the torque