ES - 1st to 4th Gen (1990-2006) Forum for all 1990 - 2006 ES300 and ES330 models. ES250 topics go here as well.

broken bolt holding coil

Old 11-05-11, 09:09 AM
Amadauss
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default broken bolt holding coil

Went to change the plugs on our ES300 (1999) and as I was taking out the bolts holding the coils, one of them broke. Have about a 1/4 inch showing of the bolt. I wd40'd it for two days hoping this would slowly get down the threads and make it easier to remove. I have not tried anything but a wrench to wrap around the thread that is exposed and turn it out. The wrench turns but not the bolt with it. Was hoping would just need to replace bolt so hoping someone here might have another suggestion how to get this out without having to replace the whole cover. It does look like I have to replace the gasket, seeing some leaking, so would probably end up taking the cover off anyway but did not want to do that job for a few weeks and son needs the car to drive. Any thoughts or ideas? Thanks
Old 11-05-11, 10:33 AM
mdbrown
Lead Lap

Received 12 Likes on 11 Posts

Get a set of easy outs.
Old 11-05-11, 11:46 AM
Amadauss
Driver School Candidate

ok looked them up and will do. Thanks.
Old 11-06-11, 05:11 PM
Amadauss
Driver School Candidate

Well got the easy outs and no luck. Drilled the hole and then tried to insert the other piece that is suppose to get the bolt out but not working. Went in straight but does not seem to be turning the bolt at all as I turn that piece counterclockwise. Any other thoughts other then replacing the cover or getting someone to re-drill it to accommodate a bolt?
Old 11-06-11, 08:57 PM
download
Rookie

Hammer the bolt may help a little, could you cut a slot? Drill a hole horizontally should work better.
Old 11-06-11, 10:59 PM
LeX2K
Lexus Champion

Received 2,682 Likes on 2,272 Posts

Probably the only way you will fix this is to very carefully drill out the old bolt, and use a tap to clean out the threads. An easy-out is not the best tool for a small bolt in my experience, there is simply not enough metal for it to do anything, even if you get it exactly in the center of the bolt, the pressure will end up expanding the walls of the bolt making it impossible to remove.

If you have a drill press, it will make the job 1000% easier.
Old 11-07-11, 02:27 AM
Amadauss
Driver School Candidate

I am sure I have a friend or two that would have a drill press. So your thinking take the cover off and then take it to the person with the drill press, correct?

Your right about the pressure expanding the bolt to either side. I am guessing this is the case now because it looks to have done this from the little I can see. What a nightmare this has become.
Old 11-07-11, 06:55 AM
LeX2K
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by Amadauss
So your thinking take the cover off and then take it to the person with the drill press, correct?
That's what I would do. And you will need a tap, possibly two. One with a tapered end, one with a non-tapered, flat end. You might not need the second one, the remains of the bolt could end up coming out on its own.

If worse comes to worse, you can always get a replacement valve cover at a wrecking yard.
Old 11-07-11, 08:52 AM
Amadauss
Driver School Candidate

Thank you, really appreciate the help.
Old 11-08-11, 10:18 AM
Amadauss
Driver School Candidate

Ok, decided before trying to take valve cover off, give it one more try and figured if I am going to have it re-punched or drilled for a new bolt, why not try it myself. Took a 5/16 inch tap after taking a drill and taking out as much of the bolt as possible and created a new hole with threads. It Worked! So I get the larger size 5/16 bolt and find out it now won't fit through the coil opening. I was going to slam the hood on my head for not thinking that but thought if I can re-bore the valve cover, why not the opening in the coil for a new bolt. Got the tap and the 5/16 almost fit in so threaded that out to accommodate the 5/16 bolt. Worked like a charm. And holding steady.

Want to change the back three plugs now, here is a pic of what I have to remove to do it. Engine is a little dirty, but understand, 248 thousand miles on that baby. Looks a little complicated. On another thread it was mentioned you could change the plugs without removing anything but I don't see how. What would you recommend and if it is removing some of those things, can you explain a little bit. or recommend a link.

Also found a post on changing out the 02 sensor but the example used is an RX model which supposedly has the same configuration. It it is what they state about similar conditions, you have to remove the drivers seat and cut carpet to get to it. Is this the case because I have the sensor but do not want to attempt until I get confirm it is the way to go before doing all of that.

Thanks for the help.

Take note to the new bolt holding the coil in the middle. Ignore the date, just have not corrected it in camera.

Last edited by Amadauss; 11-08-11 at 10:21 AM.
Old 11-08-11, 04:08 PM
LeX2K
Lexus Champion

Glad you got your problem sorted out.

For changing the back plugs, I've never done it on a 1MZ with individual coil packs.
Old 11-08-11, 04:11 PM
Amadauss
Driver School Candidate

Thanks for words of encouragement. Now to complete the plug change which I found a thread by LexMex with pics on how to do it. What happened to those old engines that had the plugs right there for all to see and change.