ES - 1st to 4th Gen (1990-2006) Forum for all 1990 - 2006 ES300 and ES330 models. ES250 topics go here as well.

Looking for spark plug change advice

Old 10-04-11, 04:04 PM
PFB
Lexus Champion

Received 44 Likes on 39 Posts
Default Looking for spark plug change advice

My 2001 ES300 with 90k miles is almost due for it's routine spark plug change. I'm not equipped for a DIY, nor am I good at those things, so off to the Lexus dealer. For this types of jobs, I prefer a Lexus dealer to an Independent.

Anyways I called 2 local Lexus dealers. The first one said that he can do it without removing the intake, at a total cost of about $450. The 2nd said that he needs to remove the intake, for a total cost of about $700

I was going to change the rear valve cover gasket, even though it's not leaking. I figured that if they have to remove the intake to change the Plugs than I might as well change the rear valve cover gasket at the same time, at only a slight extra cost, but since the first dealer can change the plugs without removing the intake, and hence is substantially cheaper, I have a bit of a dilemma. Do I change the rear valve cover gasket or not? Especially considering that it's not leaking, and that I'll be saving $250 by not having to remove the intake.

Any feedback will be appreciated

Thanks

Last edited by PFB; 10-04-11 at 04:32 PM.
Old 10-04-11, 04:35 PM
imherenow
Racer

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts

wait..u have 90k miles? isnt it too early for a spark plug change.. i think @ that miles one should do timing belt et al. service..anyways if the gasket is not leaking then i think dont change it..My Rx300 gasket was leaking so i ahd to change it. Not sure about the spark plugs..did u search the forum about spark plugs. Owners have commented on changing the spark plugs and i remember reading about it. Do a search n see
Old 10-04-11, 04:43 PM
PFB
Lexus Champion

Timing Belt was done at the Lexus Dealer about 2 weeks ago. I had a separate thread on the subject. I was going to change the Plugs since I am not that far off the recomended change interval, and my city Gas milage has unexplicably been dropping consistently. Started off at around 19-20MPG (City) 2 Years ago, and now am down to (15-16 (City). Highway has not changed am am at Consistent 26-27MPG

I should add though that the car starts and runs flawlessly. NO CEL of any kind, so doing nothing at this time is also a viable option.
Old 10-04-11, 05:10 PM
mdbrown
Lead Lap

Received 12 Likes on 11 Posts

Why fix what isn't broke? It's not due for plugs so wait until it is...
Old 10-04-11, 06:12 PM
Lexmex
Super Moderator

Received 159 Likes on 136 Posts

Originally Posted by PFB
My 2001 ES300 with 90k miles is almost due for it's routine spark plug change. I'm not equipped for a DIY, nor am I good at those things, so off to the Lexus dealer. For this types of jobs, I prefer a Lexus dealer to an Independent.

Anyways I called 2 local Lexus dealers. The first one said that he can do it without removing the intake, at a total cost of about $450. The 2nd said that he needs to remove the intake, for a total cost of about $700

I was going to change the rear valve cover gasket, even though it's not leaking. I figured that if they have to remove the intake to change the Plugs than I might as well change the rear valve cover gasket at the same time, at only a slight extra cost, but since the first dealer can change the plugs without removing the intake, and hence is substantially cheaper, I have a bit of a dilemma. Do I change the rear valve cover gasket or not? Especially considering that it's not leaking, and that I'll be saving $250 by not having to remove the intake.

Any feedback will be appreciated

Thanks
They don't need to remove the intake. I've done the plugs before and it's not necessary. I have DIY over in the RX300 forum that's similar to the ES300, https://www.clublexus.com/forums/rx-...-patience.html

Both similar, though not exact, 1MZFE engines.

If that valve cover isn't leaking, no need to replace it or play with it.

The plugs can actually go out to 120K or even longer, but ideally I wouldn't run over 120K without changing them.
Old 10-04-11, 06:43 PM
Instructor

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

You can at least check the ones in the front (even though the rears and each will look different) for the kind of wear, just to see to have an estimate on how much longer you'd want to run them.
Old 10-04-11, 06:48 PM
EEngineer
Lexus Test Driver

Received 7 Likes on 4 Posts

man, considering plugs only cost like $50 dollars or less, paying 450 is almost pure labour

what i would recommend is that start reading up on some DIYs and buy a socket set and give it a go
tools are cheap!
Old 10-04-11, 07:21 PM
PFB
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by EEngineer
man, considering plugs only cost like $50 dollars or less, paying 450 is almost pure labour

what i would recommend is that start reading up on some DIYs and buy a socket set and give it a go
tools are cheap!
I was reading Lexmex's excellent DIY write up and got tempted to do it myself. I will however take other's advice and now wait till symptoms actually start occurring before proceeding.

Thanks for your feedbacks
Old 10-04-11, 07:23 PM
Lexmex
Super Moderator

Received 159 Likes on 136 Posts

Originally Posted by PFB
I was reading Lexmex's excellent DIY write up and got tempted to do it myself. I will however take other's advice and now wait till symptoms actually start occurring before proceeding.

Thanks for your feedbacks
Whenever I do those DIYs, usually the comments that come after the photos by others are very useful. They see things I didn't see or add experiences of their own. It takes some time, but once it's done it's done.

I agree with the comment above about looking at the front plugs. I do that every so often to see how they're doing. That's from habit of dealing with the awful gas I had down south of the border (though it did improve in the time I was there) and to see if there is any other issue with oil or any other contaminant getting on the plugs.
Old 10-07-11, 08:40 PM
yeskay
Intermediate

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

why do you have to go to a lexus dealership for a spark plug change. the same engine is used in camry v6 as well. any ASE trained mechanic should be able to do a spark plug change. may be you should get quote from toyota dealership if you are not keen on diy.
Old 10-08-11, 05:55 AM
Kansas
Lead Lap

Received 251 Likes on 198 Posts

The original iridium spark plugs on my 2000 LS400 looked like new when they were changed during the 120,000 mile service. The engine didn't run any better or get better gas mileage with new spark plugs. Your ES also has iridium spark plugs. My guess is that these iridium plugs could be good for the life of the car if replacement was not "Required under the terms of the Emission Control Warranty" at 120,000 miles per our car's maintenance manuals.
Old 11-08-11, 03:42 PM
Amadauss
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Lexmex
They don't need to remove the intake. I've done the plugs before and it's not necessary. I have DIY over in the RX300 forum that's similar to the ES300, https://www.clublexus.com/forums/rx-...-patience.html

Both similar, though not exact, 1MZFE engines.

If that valve cover isn't leaking, no need to replace it or play with it.

The plugs can actually go out to 120K or even longer, but ideally I wouldn't run over 120K without changing them.
I went over your great diy for the plugs and will give it a go. Have already changed the fronts and during that process broke one of the bolts holding the coil taking it out. had some issues but finally resolved them and got it back in. if you don't mind can you take a look at that post I started about broken coil bolt and look at the picture I posted of the back 3 plugs. Does this look similar to your RX? Thanks.
Old 11-08-11, 04:38 PM
Xtom73G
Driver

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Local Toyota dealer quoted me a bit over 200 bucks for my wife's ES300 a couple of days ago. Their price for other things is high, usually, but anyway, I might try it myself one of these days. My RX300 is also a candidate.
Old 11-09-11, 04:34 AM
yeldogt
Lead Lap

Received 15 Likes on 12 Posts

I did the plugs in my 2000 ES a few weeks ago -- do the front three first to get yourself acclimated to the process.

Mine has the coils on the plugs. To do the back three ........take all three coils out to give some room back there and do the other three plugs before you put any coils back.I happened to get a cheap set of plug sockets from Harbor fright -- the kind with a built in joint on the top. The one for the Lexus plug was perfect for the job -- best $9 you will ever spend working on the ES. You will also need a couple of short extensions.

Spending $20 at HF tools will get you everything if you don't already have the tools -- took me about 1 1/2 hours to do the plugs and some other maintenance.
Old 11-09-11, 05:13 AM
BDSL
Lexus Test Driver

Received 14 Likes on 14 Posts

I have done spark plug change on my 97 ES300 a few weeks ago (without removing intake manifold). From start to finish, it took me 1.5 hrs. For the rear 3 spark plugs, you just need assorted length of extensions and a joint.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Looking for spark plug change advice