ES - 1st to 4th Gen (1990-2006) Forum for all 1990 - 2006 ES300 and ES330 models. ES250 topics go here as well.

Lexus Tune-Up.................WAY TOO MUCH $$!

Search this Thread

Old 10-04-02, 08:35 PM
SW03ES
Pole Position

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Well, the service department always makes more than the sales department, its always that way with any type of car. First off, that dealership did a couple of things wrong.

(at least in Maryland) they are REQUIRED to tell you if the job is going to be any more than 10% over the estimate (that is, if it was going to be any more than $660) and they are required to get the last 4 digits of your social security number over the phone as a sign that you accept the new estimate. They screwed you big time. I personally would report that dealership to Lexus corporate. You gave them no authorization to do the work that they did.

I personally wouldn't have even played ball with them. Before I met my mechanic that I use now, I never went to pick up a car without another key to it. One time I was picking up my Explorer and they pulled the exact same *****, they "did" a whole bunch of crap I didnt tell them to do. I wrote them a check for what they originally quoted me, went out and drove my truck away with the spare set of keys. What are they going to do, stop me? I wrote Ford and the general manager of the dealership a letter, and asked for my other key back. A few months later I got a letter of apology, and my key. No reason to let people push you around.

I definately would never go back to that Lexus dealership again, but in my experience with Lexus has been nothing but good. I don't have mine yet, but I've serviced my dad's LS for him several times, and I've never been shocked by anything but the price. I've always been treated with respect, and so has the car.

I did stop in real quick for wiper blades once, and they charged me $97, wont do that again lol.
Old 10-04-02, 08:38 PM
lexusk8
Lexus Fanatic

Received 21 Likes on 12 Posts
Post lexus ripoff

Ripoff experiences at auto shops are definitely not the most pleasant out there, especially if it's from your dealership. I read about this story a while ago, and it still gives me the nerves every time I read it, thinking that even the most unimaginable and horrific conditions can happen in the midst of a simple tune-up. This situation happened at Lexus of Manhattan, and here's the link:

http://www.ripoffreport.com/view.asp?id=5315
Old 10-05-02, 01:08 AM
blux
Pole Position

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Thumbs down

word up guys, your all finally seeing it now...haha lexus dealership is a joke....they want like 5 bucks a peice for clips that hold the trun carpet up...uh what??? I went over to toyta and got the same ones for like 75 cents....says a lot right there. As soon as I walk in the place I get pissed, last time I went in there no one acknowledged me because I wasnt over 50 or wearing a suit...I dont know if its the same out where you guys are...but our lexus dealerships are really yuppie....

it makes me mad...theres a bunch of sixty year old rich ladies walkin around and they dont even notice me!

AND THERES NO PARTS COUNTER! WTF

you have to get some idiot guy all dressed up to come and tell them what part you want...its like okkkk.....looks like you know your parts man....ya look like a car salesman...meh...

\rant off
Old 10-05-02, 05:53 PM
SW03ES
Pole Position

I haven't noticed anything like that around here. All the dealerships have parts counters, the service people wear casual clothing and only the salespeople wear suits. I'm hardly 50, and I've never been treated rudely. I find those things to be true at Mercedes dealers, but not the Lexus dealers in my area. Like I said, might have to do with the amount of competiton (5 dealerships within 20 miles), but Lexus is #1 for dealer satisfaction so I'd assume its more the norm the way I see it.
Old 10-05-02, 06:24 PM
Lex Diamonds
Driver

Angry

I have 2 dealers within 30 miles of each other, and If I take my car to the dealer where I din't purchase the car - I get a little unsupportive help now & then. The biggest problem I've been having is not with the dealers / mechanics - it's actually with other people showing up to get their car serviced.
They look at me like " WTF are you doing with a Lex".

But It's all good - I just give the FU face and keep moving!
Old 10-05-02, 11:13 PM
limj23
Driver School Candidate

Default do it your self

guys im not a mechanic by trade, but worked on my bike and car alot all the time. the tune up on my 92 es is a snap really. just change the following:
spark plugs + wires
fuel filter
distributer+rotor
pcv valve
air filter, depends on timing of tune up (may have already done it)

the only difficult/pain in the *** is the number 6 plug, the last one toward the driver in the back of the bay (right hand corner if you facing the car) you need to unbolt the intake plenum to give yourself enough clearance to pull the plug out. other than that its pretty much a no brainer.

ive done this twice on my car already (140,000 miles now) once at 75000 and just recently at 135000.

the only thing i have the dealer do (did twice already same interal as tune up) is change the timing belt.

my car is 11 years old and 140000 miles and literealy runs like new. so if your at all mechnically inclined do it your self, parts may be 100.00 if that. i only give in to suspesion and major engine stuff if it happens.

oh i powerflush the trans fluid and change all the other fluids too.
Old 10-06-02, 01:24 AM
zexen
Advanced

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

the dealership here in plano is pretty good. it's a Park Place Lexus. they're stuff isn't that bad... but i don't do oil change there anymore. the dealership is pretty good. they've got free drinks, and breakfast every weekend. and they give you a free car-wash at the dealership like all the time. i haven't been back there in a while, but i should really start going back. free food, free drinks, free car-wash... that place is lookin' good.
Old 10-06-02, 02:11 AM
SW03ES
Pole Position

I've had my dad's serviced at Lexus of Rockville, Lexus of Silver Spring, Lexus of Alexandria and Lexus of Annapolis, and so far the only one I didn't really like was Annapolis. They called up and had a whole bunch of ***** wrong and wanted $2 Grand. He bought the car at Alexandria, and I havent seen a difference in treatment at any of the other 3 I've used because it hasn't been serviced there. I've never felt cheated by any of the others though. We also have Pohanka Lexus and Len Stoler Lexus, but I've never serviced it at them. I'm currently in negotiations with Lexus of Silver Spring, Lexus of Rockville and Lexus of Alexandria about procuring my ES, the lowest bid wins. So far my favorite dealership is Silver Spring. I really like the salesman and the sales manager, and the service team seems excellent, problem is its so damn far from where I am in Bethesda. I service my Explorer out that way now, and I'd like to skip the trip (I'm not comfortable with their pickup and dropoff, I dont like valet parking let alone a trip of 12 miles), that is if I use the dealership for most service, which I probably wont except for the big maintenances because of the free loaner program.
Old 10-06-02, 03:09 AM
zexen
Advanced

the park place lexus here in plano is great. my mom's RX is still under warranty, so we take it there for a tune-up and we can get a loaner for a day. my mom's talking about requesting a new IS next tune-up... i GOTTA get my hand's on one of those... she wants to try it out... manual of course... the scary part is... my mom KNOWS how to drive manual... very well...
Old 10-08-02, 11:45 PM
Balzak
Rookie

yeah, they charged me $2,000 for a new flux capacitor! now how do ya like that?
Old 10-08-02, 11:47 PM
mcelligott
Lexus Champion

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally posted by Balzak
yeah, they charged me $2,000 for a new flux capacitor! now how do ya like that?
Must have been 30,000 gigawatts!!!!!!!!!!!
Old 10-09-02, 01:06 AM
zexen
Advanced

d`mn i want a 30,000 gigawatt flux capacitor for my car... it might blow up... but d`mn... i want one...
Old 05-13-13, 05:35 PM
BigJay1992
Driver School Candidate

Thank you for that info! I was wondering should I do it myself and you let me know I should!
Old 05-13-13, 06:41 PM
Hayk
Lead Lap

Received 291 Likes on 230 Posts

Holy bump, batman!

I agree with one of the above posters. I only use dealers for parts, unless the car needs warranty work.
Old 05-18-13, 09:36 PM
Power6
Lead Lap

Received 15 Likes on 13 Posts

over 10 years, great bump from the dead.

I used the Toyota dealer for my timing belt job, it was $800 which was the best price around I could find, and I know they use the OEM parts.

Quick Reply: Lexus Tune-Up.................WAY TOO MUCH $$!