ES - 1st to 4th Gen (1990-2006) Forum for all 1990 - 2006 ES300 and ES330 models. ES250 topics go here as well.

How did you end up in your ES?? Post your story here!

Search this Thread

Old 07-06-11, 10:59 AM
lexuskid16
Rookie

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default How did you end up in your ES?? Post your story here!

I dont know if there is already a thread about your ES's story, so I decided I'll just make one. Please post your's here!! I'd like to know how you got your es.

My personal story goes like this:
In 2006 when I was 16 i bought a 1996 Es300. It was good to me until a minivan made out with its rear when i was getting onto the freeway. Thats when I totaled it. I collected my insurance money and started looking for a car, in the meantime I drove a Ford Contour around. At the time, my dad had an 01 es300. He started loosing interest in the Es, and gained more interest into the LS class. Thats when he decided he wanted an LS. So, he ended up giving me his es300. I didnt want to take it for free so I just deposited 1000 into his bank account. Ever since then my Es300 has been my baby.

Never put anything on it as its 100% stock. I'd rather save my money and maintain it.
Old 07-06-11, 11:47 AM
LaidBack
Rookie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I live in Champaign, IL and I found a 98 Civic on the local Craigslist, So I had a day off, went to look at it, and it was not as good as it looked in the pictures. The little towing company/gas station/used car lot that had that Civic, 2 Audi S4's, a lifted Jeep Cherokee, an Infiniti Q45, and slightly wrecked Integrs GSR, and then my GF, who knows very little about cars screams across the lot and says "HEY BABE! THEY HAVE A 5SPD LEXUS HERE! DONT YOU LIKE LEXUS'?" So I got look at it, test drive it, talk to the guy about it and he sells it to me 3 days later by delivering it to my house.
Old 07-06-11, 12:18 PM
adreano17
Advanced

Received 107 Likes on 58 Posts
Default Acura to Lexus

ACURA
My first car technically was a black 2000 Acura TL i got at an auto auction for only $3000! Turns out it was a lemon. I needed a tranny, and all that. The mechanic told me a total of 7k to fix (he didn't even bother telling all the problems, it was that bad) and we offered to sell it to him, and he said he didn't even want it (they call him the honda man because he specializes, so to turn it down, it had to be trash). Ran it back through the auction and got the full amount!

LEXUS!!!
Went to my mother's friends lot who sells cars and narrowed it down to a Bonneville and my 96 ES300. I was really debating because coming from a 2000 acura, i thought the interior was VERY dated. But decided I could grow into the car, and the car had good reviews. Got the car for 5000 with a 6 month warranty. Mind you I always thought Lexus was always out of my range, so I had no knowledge of it. Thought the ES was higher than the LS because of the projector headlights! BUUUUTTTTTT.......in reality, I probably would have went on the market for a GS or an SC but hey, this car has been really good. I cant complain.
Old 07-06-11, 03:19 PM
esrxwill
Driver School Candidate

I found my 1997 ES300 on craigslist as well. I bought the car last month because of the low price ($800) the good exterior and exterior condition and the ride quality I'm really starting to enjoy the ride hopefully I can find the hood latch part its missing and have a complete car soon.
Old 07-06-11, 03:22 PM
juvenchan
Driver

i think i am the same age as lexuskid16.
I got my 97es when I was 20, 2010/2/xx.
at that time i was looking for 99 acura tl, but couldnt find it.. I only have 4500 at that time.
i was waiting for some quick sell in craigslist so that some good car can fall within my budget..
finally after i have been waited for a month.
I found a 2000 solara with 90k miles manual V6 for 5000, went to test drive, like it, but my parents hated it... so i gave up -----
couple days later,
a light gold es300 with 74k miles selling 4800 in craigslist.
I called and my sister went to bargan and got it for 4300..
the car is good, but just the exterior have some scratches and a broken tail light..

a month ago, i got an accident on freeway ..
picked up my car today around 12 and now... A GOLD CAR WITH BLACK HOOD :[
have to save some money to paint my car...
Old 07-06-11, 03:23 PM
juvenchan
Driver

Originally Posted by esrxwill
I found my 1997 ES300 on craigslist as well. I bought the car last month because of the low price ($800) the good exterior and exterior condition and the ride quality I'm really starting to enjoy the ride hopefully I can find the hood latch part its missing and have a complete car soon.
800? whats the mileage? and hows the exterior? salvage?
Old 07-06-11, 03:46 PM
esrxwill
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by juvenchan
800? whats the mileage? and hows the exterior? salvage?
No its not a salvage car It has 180k though the exterior is nice it has one dent on the trunk corner one scratch on the drivers door and the leather is all perfect not a sign of wear.
Old 07-06-11, 04:18 PM
juvenchan
Driver

thats cheap!
my car have more scratches and dent then urs..

I am wondering whats ur average mpg?
Old 07-06-11, 06:40 PM
imherenow
Racer

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts

my es00 was @ the dealership and i was looking at the dealer website for used cars like twice everyday and even going to the dealership like few times a week and then one day as i was driving by in early morning i noticed the es300 on the lot and i went in and looked @ it n drove it and put it on hold, came home, researched it just to make sure n baam bought it!!

Last edited by imherenow; 07-07-11 at 08:14 AM.
Old 07-06-11, 08:15 PM
LeX2K
Lexus Champion

Received 2,715 Likes on 2,300 Posts

You guys (and gals maybe?) have a much better selection of ES's vs. in Canada. Didn't find much locally, but found a Millenium Edition in Vancouver, car looked nice in the photos. Booked a plane ticket to go see it, the night before I was going to fly out the dealer called me and said they had an "issue" with the car. Apparently someone had jump started the car backwards and blew up the computer, and who knows what else. Idiots.

I decided to fly out anyway to see the car, it looked nice but it was un-drivable, engine would not start. While I was hanging around, a used ECU came in from a wreckers, they put that in, car started and ran for 3 seconds, then died. Obviously the ECU needed to be programmed to recognize the chipped keys. Seeing I had to be back at work in 2 days, I didn't stick around to wait for them to get the car running, plus I was having serious doubts about buying the car at this point. Eventually they towed the car to a Lexus dealer, they got the car up and running, but the CEL kept coming on and the dealer was unable to solve it, so I gave up on the car. A real shame that the dealer destroyed such a nice automobile.

A couple of months later, I found another ES300 Millennium Edition (was not looking for that one specifically) in Winnipeg, which is even farther from me than Vancouver, I'm in Calgary. So on blind faith, I made a deal over the phone, flew out and bought the car. It only had 36,000 miles on it, so I figured how much can go wrong with a car like that. The car turned out to be in incredible shape, near flawless paint, although the interior was extremely dirty. I drove it back that night, it takes about 18-20 hours.

Was the hardest car purchase I've ever made, but it was worth it I absolutely love the car.
Old 07-07-11, 02:59 AM
CSSM
Driver School Candidate

I have a 1998 es300, well, it isnt technically mine. My parents bought it in 2002 with 18,000 miles from the local Lexus dealership. When I got my license, my parents bought a new 2008 BMW 535xi and my sister got the es300. I drove a Isuzu Rodeo. In 2009, my sister got engaged, so for congratulations, my parents bought her a 2010 Mazda 3. My Isuzu was destroyed for Cash for Clunkers (very sad day), but I was given the Lexus, so things werent too bad off . Now Im in the process of convincing my parents to let me take Lexi 8 hours away to school, but thats a different story. I love the Lexus and have put only 5000 miles on it since I got it, and have never parked next to another car
Old 07-07-11, 05:02 AM
RXGS
Lexus Test Driver

Received 210 Likes on 171 Posts

^I am in the process of trying to convince my parents to let me do the same thing to let me bring my car to school, but not that i think about i think its probably better if, just for freshman year, i leave it then sophmore year ill know most of the ins and outs of college and ill be able to bring it with me
Old 07-07-11, 08:21 AM
imherenow
Racer

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts

Originally Posted by Lexus2000
...up on the car. A real shame that the dealer destroyed such a nice automobile.

A couple of months later, I found another ES300 Millennium Edition (was not looking for that one specifically) in Winnipeg, which is even farther from me than Vancouver, I'm in Calgary. .

do u have pictures of ur millennium edition..,mine is same edition too..would love to see some pictures
Old 07-07-11, 01:09 PM
CSSM
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by gray_es300
^I am in the process of trying to convince my parents to let me do the same thing to let me bring my car to school, but not that i think about i think its probably better if, just for freshman year, i leave it then sophmore year ill know most of the ins and outs of college and ill be able to bring it with me
I went freshman year without a car, and now I'm asking to bring her up for sophomore year. So i'm in the same boat. If you are in a dorm, it isnt necessary, but I will be in an apartment so I will need her so I can go anywhere
Old 07-07-11, 01:31 PM
EEngineer
Lexus Test Driver

Received 7 Likes on 4 Posts

my story is in my signature link

Quick Reply: How did you end up in your ES?? Post your story here!