ES - 1st to 4th Gen (1990-2006) Forum for all 1990 - 2006 ES300 and ES330 models. ES250 topics go here as well.

Removal of Center console

Search this Thread

Old 09-11-02, 10:57 AM
Rro
Rookie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Question Removal of Center console

How do you remove the center concole in a 92 ES300?
Old 09-11-02, 02:09 PM
Kyle Harty
Lexus Champion

Received 13 Likes on 12 Posts

I can get you started, but don't know how to get the whole thing out. Start by pulling up the wood trim around the shifter, pry at the back corners by the e-brake to get it started. Once that's out, you'll see a few screws that hold down the sides, and look for any other attachments in that area.

I don't know how to get the back where the actual console pocket is, but my guess would be that you'd have to pry out the inside of the compartment and that would reveal screws underneath. I don't know that for sure, but that's the way I'd approach it and hope it worked. It seems that Lexus hides screws and the like behind pressure fit panels you have to pry out. Maybe someone else will know for sure or you could call your dealer and see if the service tech could tell you.
Old 09-12-02, 10:02 PM
blux
Pole Position

yeah, call up the dealer...as a last resort...

I hate lexus dealers... every time I go there they try to sell me on a new model...MEH to that.. lol

I have alldata, and it hooked me up with a diagram. I dont have it installed on this computer though, I can try to get the picx for you....EH...
Old 09-13-02, 11:44 AM
Rro
Rookie

You're right Blux about the dealer. I would appreciate any help you can give.

Thanks to both of you.
Old 09-13-02, 03:27 PM
EGainer
Lexus Champion

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

i've taken mine out... almost. you have to go inside the console, there are 2 screws. remove the black inside of the console. then remove the wood around the shifter. take the bottom black piece off from out from under the radio, last thin black panel. it's just clipped in. then unscrew those 2 screws, then the bottom 2 screws. and now you can take out your cigarette lighter/cupholders. after you have taken the screw out of the bottom of the console, that whole vinel piece is free to move all the way up to the under the radio part. i am not sure why you are removing it, if you let me know, i can maybe help some more. be careful though, all of those yellow components you see in there, are all AIRBAG and CRASH sensors. DO NOT impact them hard or you might blow your airbags and do other damage that is unforseen. oh, and don't clip any wires either...
Old 09-13-02, 04:26 PM
Rro
Rookie

My 92 does not have heated seats but there are two spaces, covered by insert tabs where the controlls would have been. I plan to use one of the opening to mount a cell phone holder. I need to run a wire somehow to install a accessory plug (like the cig lighter) that allows me to use my car radio as a receiver and transmitter for my cell. I didn't want cables running all over the place in clear site. I can hide the cable in the console. It also allows me to thoroughly clean the carpet between the seats. While I'm at it, I plan to clean or replace the A/C filter.
Old 09-13-02, 07:04 PM
EGainer
Lexus Champion

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

ok, yeah, i have used both of those places for switches for my car. one for entertainment system and one for the nozzle lights.
that's the way to do it.
Old 03-07-10, 03:55 PM
chuckerst
Rookie

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Anybody ever tskrn the spring loaded cup holder/ashtray assy out of a 9e ES300? I need to get to the wiring on the cigarette lighter-can't for the life of me figure how-do you have to remove the whole console?
Old 10-10-15, 09:10 PM
jaclex
Driver School Candidate

The tiny little plastic closing latch of the top section of my center console on my 1998 Lexus ES 300 broke, and now I can't keep the lid down. I've tried using Velcro as a cheap fix, but it's not working and is messy.

Any ideas on a DIY fix before I cave and head to the dealer? This is driving me nuts!

Thanks!
Old 10-10-15, 10:23 PM
chadlex
Driver School Candidate

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by jaclex
The tiny little plastic closing latch of the top section of my center console on my 1998 Lexus ES 300 broke, and now I can't keep the lid down. I've tried using Velcro as a cheap fix, but it's not working and is messy. Any ideas on a DIY fix before I cave and head to the dealer? This is driving me nuts! Thanks!

That would be annoying! Try ebay 1st, then check your local import car salvage yards, although cars there might be in rough condition. As a last resort buy a new one at the dealer & don't be afraid to ask them for some help with the price! Good luck!