ES - 1st to 4th Gen (1990-2006) Forum for all 1990 - 2006 ES300 and ES330 models. ES250 topics go here as well.

New purchase: 97 ES300 Oyster Pearl :)

Search this Thread

Old 05-13-11, 12:36 AM
RxG300
Driver

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default New purchase: 97 ES300 Oyster Pearl :)

just picked up my ES, its my 4th Lexus. 241k miles, meticulous maint records, gorgeous paint, nice interior, $1700 cash. Im very happy with it, I smile everytime I look at it! Def an upgrade coming from my 94 GS300.

Its not without flaws thou. It needs an alignment, and I think the control arm is bad on the passenger side, as it drifts right when it shifts into 3rd gear. Im almost completely used to it now, and it doesnt do it under hard acceleration, so Im very pleased with my purchase! They had it detailed today and the detail place scratched the tint on the back so they're paying for the back windows to be redone. Im hoping I can find a place that will do the back window too, so it'll match (im thinking 5% hehe)

Just to give a hint about how complete the records are, I was going thru the manuals, and it has all the books/suppliments... it even still has the original inspection from the dealership (Scottsdale Lexus in Scottsdale AZ) when they took the car into inventory in 1996. Oh, and the Lexus portable phone is still installed and working. Will post pix tomorrow.

the remote needs a new casing, as the keyring is gone.. but im having trouble locating just the case/housing/shell... any ideas?

so far the only thing ive done is replace a few bulbs and a fuse. everything works. it drives beautifully. the tires (thou mounted on fugly rims) are full of tread... Im just so happy. I feel I got a good deal. what do you guys think?
Old 05-13-11, 01:12 AM
RxG300
Driver

not quite sure why it felt the need to create me another account... but its actually my car lol
Old 05-14-11, 07:42 AM
DaveGS4
Forum Administrator

Received 2,128 Likes on 1,298 Posts

You used the facebook 'create an account' button to log in instead of just logging in with your old account.

Merging them under your old account.

Congrats on the new ES!
Old 05-14-11, 08:04 PM
decypher
Driver

Congrats on the new ES! Is this your first ES out of 4 Lexs?
Old 05-14-11, 10:17 PM
imherenow
Racer

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts

congrats!! pics??
Old 05-16-11, 09:16 AM
RxG300
Driver

Yes, its my 4th Lexus. Preceded by 2 SC300's (92 and 95) and a 94 GS300.

I never wanted an ES because of the "camry with a Lexus badge" concept, but this one feels so different. lol. My ultimate goal is a GS400, but thats not going to happen for $1700 without major body damage or catastrophic engine failure haha.

Here are pix. I just washed it yesterday after taking a magic eraser to some minor door dings and some black rub marks down the drivers side... youd never know there were any imperfections at all. it almost looks new (IMO, but im a lil biased lol)

Last edited by RxG300; 05-16-11 at 09:26 AM. Reason: pix links
Old 05-16-11, 09:23 AM
RxG300
Driver

found some interesting info thou. went thru the maint records and found out that the left front control arm was replaced about 2yrs ago, but the right one wasnt. the service report states the PS pump was leaking onto the right one causing the bushing to swell. I then found a receipt for a PS pump for right around when this happened, but no receipt for the right control arm. I do believe thats the cause of my random "lets swerve into the other lane" effect. theres also a clunking noise from the rear suspension when I go over bumps, im thinking worn bushings as well. nothing major. struts are under 2yrs old so it still rides beautifully.

the radio display is out, which I plan on just fixing instead of ripping the dash apart (i hate the look of cheap dash kits in Lexus'). The ash tray wont close, and all the cup holders are broken. I think the PO's kids probably broke em playing with it. surprisingly the carphone is still in tact and works! haha. too funny.

Today I have to bring it to the detail place, so I can arrange getting them to fix my tint. How you scratch tint getting a sticker off, id love to know. all u have to do is rub googone on it and GENTLY peal it off. instead they scratched the tint all up. SMH. Im kinda hoping they'll just write me a check so I can use it to buy control arms. If only. lol
Old 05-16-11, 01:44 PM
OceanView
Lead Lap

Received 6 Likes on 4 Posts

Nice looking car and you got a great deal!
These cars are a great value that many don't know about if they are taken care of, I believe they will last a long time.
Old 05-18-11, 03:33 PM
RxG300
Driver

thank ya! Im looking for another one for my brother next lol. Currently the swaybar clunking in the rear is totally annoying me so Im going to pick some up shortly. they're $10 at autozone with lifetime warranty so I figure if they fail in a yr or two i'll just get new ones for free.
Old 05-18-11, 04:29 PM
marcoes300
Lead Lap

telephone still working ? XD
Old 05-18-11, 08:40 PM
AdamR2
Driver School Candidate

Exclamation

Factory Portable Phone? On a 1997 ES 300?

Tell me more.. I am intrigued.
Old 05-21-11, 02:16 AM
funcrusher
Racer

Received 38 Likes on 37 Posts

Get some more pics of that phone. I would drive around with the windows down talking on it just to turn some heads!
Old 05-21-11, 09:16 AM
imherenow
Racer

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts

ya talk more about the phone!!!!
Old 05-23-11, 01:22 AM
RxG300
Driver

Originally Posted by marcoes300
telephone still working ? XD
the battery is dead, obviously, but it turns on and connects to the car. No Service cuz analog is dead lmao!
Originally Posted by MyEs300Yea
wow what a coincidence, i too just went to get me my first ES same color, i was wondering what color it is because i need to redo the trunk, the clear coat was burnt off by the sun and it messed the paint....car came from Florida.
The color (which IMO is beautiful) is Oyster Pearl 4M7. I thought it was rare, but i think its actually the most common color for 3ES. boo. lol. My Trunk is faded too, but Im going to try using cleaner wax, clay bar, and then polishing with my orbital buffer instead of getting it painted cuz the rest of the paint is gorgeous.
Originally Posted by AdamR2
Factory Portable Phone? On a 1997 ES 300?

Tell me more.. I am intrigued.
According to the Lexus.com history, it was installed by the dealer on 11/08/1996 with 213 miles on the clock...
Originally Posted by funcrusher
Get some more pics of that phone. I would drive around with the windows down talking on it just to turn some heads!
Originally Posted by akabond
ya talk more about the phone!!!!
haha talking on an analog phone would be an interesting feat... would be cool if I could get a retrofit kit for bluetooth/android lol.
Old 05-23-11, 01:29 AM
RxG300
Driver

I SO WANT THOSE RIMS BACK! The dealer installed the chrome rims the same time the phone was installed, and Im really wishing they were on the car... I think they look so much better and classy vs the THINGS on my vehicle. *sigh*

in other news, the car has now developed a shake in the wheel at speeds above 50mph so I guess I need to do control arms sooner than later. other than that, im still loving my baby. Ive named her Estelle. lol.

Quick Reply: New purchase: 97 ES300 Oyster Pearl :)