ES - 1st to 4th Gen (1990-2006) Forum for all 1990 - 2006 ES300 and ES330 models. ES250 topics go here as well.

Need to drive an older ES300 from Florida to California...

Search this Thread

Old 04-15-11, 09:13 AM
Alexslexus
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Need to drive an older ES300 from Florida to California...

I recently purchased a nice 2003 Lexus ES300 with only 83k miles on the odometer to use as a nice daily driver and a good road car for short highway jaunts... but we're planning a trip to Sequia National Park from Orlando this summer, and my Lexus won the vote to get us there. There will be four of us going and we're planning on taking about 3-4 weeks. We'll be stopping to see the Grand Canyon, Hoover dam, Las Vegas, etc. along the way as well. My question is, should my 8 year old ES300 be up to the task? I calculated it out to be about 7k miles total. I've only had the car a few months, but it seems to still be 'like new' considering it's 8 years old... it runs and drives perfect, but this is a LOONG trip. Should I be concerned? I've heard the engines in these cars are extremely dependable, so I guess I'll find out for myself. I plan to keep this car at least 5 more years, so I'm hoping I don't kill it. Any tips, suggestions, etc. would be greatly appreciated. I look forward to being a regular on the forum. My name is Alex as evident by my username and I reside in Orlando, but am originally from New Orelans, La.
Old 04-15-11, 09:42 AM
imherenow
Racer

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts

congrats on ur ride but 83K miles is not high for major changes like timing belt ..so when u come back after 7K miles = 90,000 mile . then u will need to do some major maintenance but for now u should be fine. Just make sure all the fluids are properly leveled and the engine oil is cleaned . And always have emergency kit. oh and make sure the car has a spare tire and jack and is properly inflated. good luck. Share some pics along the way. have fun
Old 04-15-11, 10:15 AM
nine3es
Lead Lap

i have 93 ES with 230,xxx and would not think twice to gas her up and drive from here(baton rouge, la) to pick you up in orlando and then drive to cali and back with no worries.

make sure your fluids checked and changed prior to leaving, then halfway through your 7k mile trip have another oil change, check your fluids etc. and again when you return home.

wear your seatbelts and have fun.
Old 04-15-11, 10:17 AM
xsh0tya
Lexus Test Driver

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Yup^^ Also check your tire pressure in the morning before the trip.
Old 04-15-11, 11:31 AM
yeldogt
Lead Lap

Received 15 Likes on 12 Posts

You need to have the car fully inspected prior to a trip like that -- any marginal items replaced. Summer temperatures in that area are very high -- proper working A/C and cooling system is a must.

I don't have the timing belt replacement schedule in front of me -- I forget the recommended years -- is it 8?

If you keep the car for 5 more years and drive it 15k a year you will only replace the timing belt and do the major service once. If I were in your shoes I would have the full service done before you leave. And do it a couple of weeks before you go to make sure all is well.

Also, check the tires making sure they all match -- when tires get past 5 years old they are nearing the end regardless of tread and with 4 people and luggage - you will need good tires.

One problem and it will cost you more than any prior repairs - especially if anyone is elderly.
Old 04-15-11, 12:26 PM
PFB
Lexus Champion

Received 44 Likes on 39 Posts

I don't expect that you would have any problems at all, but, definitely consider joining the Triple A. Just in case.

Its well worth it.

Also check your spare tire, make sure its properly inflated.

Phil
Old 04-15-11, 02:18 PM
RXGS
Lexus Test Driver

Received 210 Likes on 171 Posts

I drive my 01 with 158k miles back and forth from Buffalo to rochester, erie, toronto, and all over ontario and while not 7k miles, a decent amount and have never had any issues. I wouldn't hesitate to drive my es anywhere
Old 04-15-11, 06:12 PM
Alexslexus
Driver School Candidate

Wow, thanks for all of the prompt replies! The dealer where I bought the vehicle did a pretty good job of making sure all of the basics were taken care of. It has new Michelin tires, new brake pads and new drive belt (but it's not a Toyota belt, but rather a Gates belt... should I change it out?). I was planning on doing the major tune-up service when we returned, but given the age of the car and your advice, I'll have it done before we leave. I had thought that the 3.0 was a non interference engine, but I read a post on this forum that stated that it was interference? I don't know what the previous owners used for oil or how often they changed it, but after finding out about the oil sludge issues, I quickly started using Mobil 1 synthetic and will change it every 3,000 miles. I did check under the oil cap, and saw that there was some black crust on the baffle...but because of the baffle, I couldn't see inside. I found out that the black crust on the baffle wasn't anything to be too concerned about, as it is no indication that there is sludge inside the engine. As I said in my previous post, the engine runs perfect and it certainly does not smoke. Is oil sludge much of an issue on the 03s?

The spare tire and all of the tools are like-new, I'd say they've likely never been used... but I did check to make sure that it was inflated and the rubber was good.

I do plan to keep the car at least another 5 years and I average closer to about 20k per year as I have a rather lengthy commute to work and I like to take weekend road trips. I figured I'd have about 180-190k on the car by then, but if it's still running good and is reliable, I'll keep it even longer. I've found quite a lot of 95-97 Avalons, V6 Camrys, ES300s, etc. with over 200,000 miles and some with even 300,000 miles... so I might just have to raise my expectations!

This is the first 8 year old car I've bought (and my first Toyota) I generally buy new cars every 3-4 years (my previous car was a 2007 Honda Accord) but I wanted to try going with an older car to save some money and keep it longer. I was disappointed with the Honda, I felt that it lacked refinement and some major details that shouldn't have been overlooked in that class and price range. It also had a very hard ride and a lot of road noise. The Toyotas I've been in just feel so much nicer, and definitely better insulated.
Old 04-15-11, 08:00 PM
yeldogt
Lead Lap

Received 15 Likes on 12 Posts

The engine w/85k is not a concern. The sludge situation is overblown for the way most of the cars are driven -- no need to change synthetic oil at 3k. And as you noted the fill area is always crusted a little.

I believe the dealers just check the plugs -- not replace. That is what they have always done with mine. A new gates belt is fine.

The cars are great -- but like any other .........they require more as they age.
Old 04-15-11, 08:53 PM
Yosemite
Driver School Candidate

I drove my 2003 ES300 from Buffalo NY to San Francisco last January. Did it in a week... 4000 miles... at the time I had 90k on it. Didn't have any problems... just make sure your maintenance is up to date and you'll be good. Have fun!
Old 04-15-11, 09:50 PM
LeX2K
Lexus Champion

Received 2,707 Likes on 2,292 Posts

FYI, the Toyota/Lexus variable valve timing engine are interference engines, which your car has.
Old 04-17-11, 11:38 PM
OceanView
Lead Lap

Received 6 Likes on 4 Posts

These cars will last a long time if it has been well cared for and not abused.
I would not hesitate taking my ES300 on a cross country trip even with it's high mileage.
Enjoy your trip!
Old 04-18-11, 09:16 AM
ikant
Rookie

Originally Posted by Alexslexus
I've found quite a lot of 95-97 Avalons, V6 Camrys, ES300s, etc. with over 200,000 miles and some with even 300,000 miles... so I might just have to raise my expectations.
Still rollin' smoothly with my '96 at 296K+... As three different mechanics stated, "don't let the mileage fool you."--which is EXACTLY what the majority of car owners/buyers/sellers heavily take into account.