ES - 1st to 4th Gen (1990-2006) Forum for all 1990 - 2006 ES300 and ES330 models. ES250 topics go here as well.

catalytic converters problems

Search this Thread

Old 04-09-11, 01:26 AM
jbruffett
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default catalytic converters problems

ok, so this is a follow up to my previous post about my transmission problems. today after driving a bit i noticed that there was a lot of heat coming from underneath my car so i get down and look and my cat is glowing bright red and there is a strong small of sulfer/ozone/sewage. i have smelled that smell a few times before and after thinking about it, it was always after hard acceleration and prolonged high speeds. so could my cat obviously having a problem be the cause of some of the symptoms ive noticed with my transmission and it be relatively fine? part 2: how well will my car run theoretically of course if i simply remove my cat and run a straight pipe in its place?(i would leave the muffler in place)
Old 04-09-11, 04:28 AM
Lexmex
Super Moderator

Received 161 Likes on 137 Posts

I am not going to get into the discussion of the various emissions laws of your state or any others, but a straight pipe would let the vehicle run just fine. However, you may notice a check engine light related to a P0420 error because you don't have the cat in place (and there is an O2 sensor after it to read it), but that affects the emissions not mpg or anything else. Some people may claim there is a loss of back pressure, but keeping the rest of the plumbing in place, you should have no issue with that.
Old 04-09-11, 11:43 AM
angmedic91
Lexus Test Driver

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

IMO I think you have an issue with your car running way to rich. If your cat is glowing red, that means its way to hot and basically you have cooked the inside of your cat and is not doing anything in regards to emissions. I am suprised you already dont have a check engine light on. Your cat definately should not be glowing red. Sounds like unburnt fuel is getting into the cat and then with the heat of the cat is burning up inside of it, causing the cat to get excessively hot.
Old 04-09-11, 05:07 PM
305lexus
Rookie

Thumbs up

Originally Posted by Lexmex
I am not going to get into the discussion of the various emissions laws of your state or any others, but a straight pipe would let the vehicle run just fine. However, you may notice a check engine light related to a P0420 error because you don't have the cat in place (and there is an O2 sensor after it to read it), but that affects the emissions not mpg or anything else. Some people may claim there is a loss of back pressure, but keeping the rest of the plumbing in place, you should have no issue with that.
Very true>. i also had problems with my cat and it was trowing a smell like burnt eggs and i was doing bad mpg, heat from under the car, and also bad smells. so i decided to remove it and went str8 pipe.. this was 2 months ago, now i have no bad smells and doing way better mpg! so if i was you, remove the cat.
Old 09-28-12, 11:43 PM
rcstudio2
Driver School Candidate

Unhappy Can bad cats hurt my car?

my check engline light is on my 99 sc400 and I get error messages P0420 and P0430 at the same time. I guess that both cats are bad...yet my car has plenty of power and drives smoothly. Will bad cats lead to overheating the engine? I passed my smog, but I am worried about creating damage to my car. Has anyone encountered this situation?