ES - 1st to 4th Gen (1990-2006) Forum for all 1990 - 2006 ES300 and ES330 models. ES250 topics go here as well.

wanting to put electric fans in my 95 Es300

Old 02-28-11, 10:37 PM
gquinones
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default wanting to put electric fans in my 95 Es300

I am wanting to put electric fans instead of the factory hydraulic fans on my 95 Es 300. Has anybody done this already? If so, where did you get fans and from what make/model are they from? Any input would help, thanks. Also how do i go about rerouting the hydraulic lines or closing them off?
Old 03-01-11, 09:04 AM
BK4293
Driver

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

I have no idea, but I would like to know why?
If you hit up a junkyard I believe Camrys have an electric fan but don't quote me on that but its a good starting point to try to find out how the wiring is run.
The only possible issue I see is your ecu isn't programmed for the electric fan, but if you find the correct terminals it might still work, if not you would have to run it to the acc switch and let it run high all the time. I know on my 92 the terminal on the top of my power steering pump controls the high speed on the hydraulic fan but who knows if that would be a compatible signal with the electric fan found in the Camrys or any other aftermarket fans for that fact.
Lexus added the hydraulic fan to help with noise reduction from what I've read, why would you want to downgrade?
Old 03-01-11, 09:42 AM
Slooooooow
Regional Officer - NTL

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Cool

Originally Posted by BK4293
Lexus added the hydraulic fan to help with noise reduction from what I've read, why would you want to downgrade?
^ this, especially since you're in Texas heat. While they remove some drag from the motor, they're not as efficient for cooling. With the exception of less than a handful of modded ESs, it's hard to imagine any performance or practical reasons for the change.

Some tidbits I found about electric fans:

Electric fans reduce belt load much of the time, but increase electrical load when in use, often requiring a larger-capacity alternator.

Electric fans can be smaller and lighter than mechanical fans while still providing full cooling at any engine speed, whereas a mechanical fan has to be over-sized for high RPM operation in order to cool usefully at low speeds.

Electric fans are a little more complex, relying on a sending unit, wiring and the electric motor, and so more prone to failure. Clutch-type mechanical fans also add some complexity and an additional failure point.
Mmm. I wonder how much more efficient the e-fans are, in real-world situations.

To run an e-fan, you must burn fuel to make mechanical power which turns the alternator to make electricity, and possibly store it in the battery. That electricity is converted back into mechanical power to move air and cool the radiator. The intermediate electrical step has to be a major loss of efficiency, compared to converting fuel directly into fan power.

I presume that the electric fan looks more efficient in EPA fuel economy ratings, since the e-fan will be off under cruising conditions, and any fan clutch will have a little drag which at cruise will be a parasitic load.

Certainly an electric fan will be quieter, because it will be off on the highway. Fan noise can be significant.

I suspect the main advantage will come under extreme heat stress, like pulling a heavy load up a grade in 100 degree heat and high humidity, with the AC on. At that point, you can likely use extra cooling from a fan running at full blast plus the normal air flow. I also presume that it helps deal with heat soak at shutdown - we've all heard parked car's electric fans continue to run after shutdown. Just like with EFI, servo control provides a lot more flexibility than mechanical control would.
Old 03-01-11, 05:35 PM
gquinones
Driver School Candidate

Well my power steering pump went out and I took to shop to have it repaired and they want $2000 to do repairs which consists of power steering pump, vlave inside pump, rack, etc. Basically all the power steering system. I dont have $2k to drop into my car so I am basically taking out hydraulic fans and rerouting hoses and installing an aftermarket performance fan. I can live without power steering.
Old 03-01-11, 06:40 PM
LeX2K
Lexus Champion

Received 2,677 Likes on 2,267 Posts

You're going to drive without power steering? That is extremely dangerous, if not illegal. Just get a used pump from a salvage yard, not hard to find at all.
Old 03-03-11, 08:50 PM
gquinones
Driver School Candidate

Driving without power steering is not bad at all, for me anyways. So I ended up ordering an electric fan from Jeg's ($65) and I bought hose,wire,relay and terminal ends from Oreillys ($30) . So it was less than $100 get my car running cool again, not bad compared to $2000.
Old 06-12-14, 09:25 AM
rmcleod123
Driver School Candidate

Default there is a common cooling failure with lexus es300 whenbthe power steering pump goes.

Originally Posted by Slooooooow
^ this, especially since you're in Texas heat. While they remove some drag from the motor, they're not as efficient for cooling. With the exception of less than a handful of modded ESs, it's hard to imagine any performance or practical reasons for the change.

Some tidbits I found about electric fans:
Changing the fans to electric is a benefit whemnyour power steering goes. Its infact 74% of the reason the power steering pumps goes in the first place. Its constantly over working the pump. The 96 avalon and camary have the fans than will fit perfectly in a es300 as electric fans. You just have to connect the wiring either to the acc or the relay to control when it comes on.
Old 06-12-14, 04:15 PM
LeX2K
Lexus Champion

Received 2,677 Likes on 2,267 Posts

The pump is not over worked, in fact the PS pump is basically two units in one. One for the power steering one for the fan. A major reason the engine overheats is because of low fluid due to a leak in the high pressure hose, and because people don't understand that the fan relies on the PS pump and drive with low or no PS fluid.