ES - 1st to 4th Gen (1990-2006) Forum for all 1990 - 2006 ES300 and ES330 models. ES250 topics go here as well.

Power Mirror Problem

Search this Thread

Old 02-27-11, 02:04 PM
strongsail
Lexus Test Driver

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Power Mirror Problem

Hey ES'ers,

I usually hang out over in the SC forum, but my spouse's 05 ES330 has developed a problem, and I couldn't find anything searching the forums, so I thought I'd ask you ES experts.

The power mirrors have stopped working in the up/down mode. They still move in and out OK. The problem started out intermittent, one mirror and then the other, now neither one will move vertically.

Because the problem affects both mirrors, I have zeroed in on the ecu that controls the mirrors. I don't have a service manual, so I don't know if it's the same module that stores mirror and seat memory, or where the thing is located in the car. Because it started out intermittent, I'm also looking at a loose connection somewhere, but again without a manual it will be hard to troubleshoot. If I can isolate it to a bad ecu, I hope to find a used one, since I have no doubt Lexus will want major $$ for the part.

Anybody had similar problems? Anybody with a manual willing to do a little research for me? TIA for any help that pops up...
Old 02-27-11, 02:49 PM
PFB
Lexus Champion

Received 44 Likes on 39 Posts

Start by doing a simple troubleshooting. Move both mirrors glass manually up a bit and sideways a bit, than use the mirrors memory function to bring them back to their preset positions.

Do they move in all directions when you do that?

The above assumes that you had a memory function set for them. If not, than set a memory position first, and then try the above.

Phil
Old 03-06-11, 07:30 PM
sqa4life
Rookie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I have the same issue. Took to lexus and they couldn't figure out the root cause. Live with it for now...
Old 03-10-11, 11:37 PM
sqa4life
Rookie

I found the fuse for the cigarette plug was busted. Replaced and everything was working again.
Old 05-24-12, 01:22 PM
strongsail
Lexus Test Driver

PFB, they don't move up or down at all, neither manually nor from memory. I took a chance on a used mirror ecm, but that isn't it. I found a thread on another forum started by someone with the same problem, and it was suggested that the actuators (motors) had failed, but what are the odds of two mirror motors having the same failure at the same time? With the console apart, I can hear the relays clicking in the ecm (it's below the radio) when I activate the switch, which leads me to believe the problem lies between the ecm and the doors. I'd be willing to bet there's a connector common to both mirrors that has a bad pin. I sure wish I had a repair manual for the car, so I could study the wiring runs and locate all the connectors...

Last edited by strongsail; 05-24-12 at 01:26 PM.
Old 05-24-12, 01:24 PM
strongsail
Lexus Test Driver

Originally Posted by sqa4life
I found the fuse for the cigarette plug was busted. Replaced and everything was working again.
Umm...what?
Old 05-24-12, 03:41 PM
strongsail
Lexus Test Driver

Took the driver's side mirror and door apart, identified the wires that go to the mirror motors, found good power with proper polarity reverses at both motors, but the up & down motor is dead. The gear motor assembly can't be removed from the mirror frame - it's secured with nylon post-clips that won't release, so there's no way to get the gear motor assy. off the frame without breaking or drilling it out, and I still don't know if I could fix the motor (it's probably dirty brushes) since from what I can see, the motors are glued into the nylon gear housing. I can see why there are no parts available for the mirror assembly. The car is for sale, and it's just going to have to go without the mirrors getting fixed. I'll discount the car a bit to make it go away.
Old 05-24-12, 05:27 PM
strongsail
Lexus Test Driver

Ohhhkay. More troubleshooting...

I've fooled around with DC motors a lot, ever since my days of slot racing back in the 60's and 70's. I know how brushes & commutators work, and I know sometimes the brushes get fouled and the motor won't run. So I tried an old trick - and it's pretty simple. I took the mirror cover off again, so I could get access directly to the back of the motor, which is about as big around as a nickel. While my wife held the mirror switch in the up position, I gave the back of the motor a sharp whack with the tip of a pair of needle-nose pliers, and how about that, the motor took off and ran fine! We ran it up & down to its stops several times, and it seems to have come back to life! We'll try it again tomorrow, and if it still works, I'll take the passenger side mirror apart and see if it yields to a little brute force as well. Here's hoping!

And, the used parts vendor will take the control ecm back, and charge a restocking fee, but I'm fine with that. Now I just gotta sell the thing before the mirrors quit again...
Old 03-21-13, 03:28 PM
2k4CamkilA
Intermediate

Any new results?
Old 01-17-14, 07:27 PM
jbro49
Driver School Candidate

The post is two years old and my 2005 SC430 has power mirror problems too. Dealer said $1000 to fix/replace both motors. Has anyone, since the last posts, have a better idea than to give away money or leaving it be? Thanks in advance
Old 01-19-14, 11:49 AM
Power6
Lead Lap

Received 15 Likes on 13 Posts

Since the mirror is serviced as a unit, from the dealer you would have to replace the whole mirror, hence the cost. For $1k that is alot but consider you just pay it and boom nice shiny new mirrors...

On the other hand, you can buy a set of used mirrors, if the same color and great shape swap the whole mirror on, if you bought a rough mirror not good enough to use the whole thing, you can absolutely disassemble the mirrors and swap good adjuster units into your mirrors.

It will take time and patience to learn to take apart and reassemble the mirrors. So just decide where you fall on the time vs. $$$ scale currently and pick an according option ;-0
Old 01-20-14, 07:58 AM
jbro49
Driver School Candidate

Thanks for the info. I am not sure if I get used pair that I will try and take them apart to improve their looks. I think I will focus on getting a good pair to start. Are the mirrors for the 2005 the same as the years following? (assuming the same color exists)
Old 01-21-14, 12:20 AM
gtstcactus
Pole Position

got my mirrors adjustment function working - replaced blown CIG fuse I think fixed it, either that or yanking the wires behind the air con unit did it... I glad I can adjust the mirrors again but annoyingly I still can't get them too fold in like they should - that feature didn't come back - I'm thinking it's either linked to a fuse under the hood, or it's a gremlin in the wiring..
Old 01-21-14, 01:12 AM
PuReChaos
Pole Position

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by gtstcactus
got my mirrors adjustment function working - replaced blown CIG fuse I think fixed it, either that or yanking the wires behind the air con unit did it... I glad I can adjust the mirrors again but annoyingly I still can't get them too fold in like they should - that feature didn't come back - I'm thinking it's either linked to a fuse under the hood, or it's a gremlin in the wiring..
Replacing the Cig/Radio fuse would do it. Thats the main power source to the remote control mirrors in the 92 es300
Old 01-21-14, 01:20 AM
gtstcactus
Pole Position

Originally Posted by PuReChaos
Replacing the Cig/Radio fuse would do it. Thats the main power source to the remote control mirrors in the 92 es300
Yeah I'd have thought the Mirror folding function would be powered through the same CIG fuse but it's either on a different fuse or there's lots of loose / dodgy wiring..

Do you know which fuse mirror folding is on? I've read thru the service manuals etc and it seems this one feature is neglected in terms of it's existence or how to fix it...

The air con controls came back on with the mirror adjustments also..

Quick Reply: Power Mirror Problem