ES - 1st to 4th Gen (1990-2006) Forum for all 1990 - 2006 ES300 and ES330 models. ES250 topics go here as well.

Air Bag Light Flashing

Search this Thread

Old 02-22-11, 05:53 PM
angmedic91
Lexus Test Driver

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts
Default Air Bag Light Flashing

Got a question for the experts or the ones who have experienced this themselves. I did do some research on here and found some good info, but my situation is weird. So, I thought I would ask on here. I have a 98 ES300 with about 155,000 miles on it and just the other day I noticed the air bag light was flashing. I read the advice on here and took it to the Lexus dealer and my friend that works there, had them scan for a code and to my surprise, there was no code. The tech even drove my car for awhile and the indicator light did not flash. I picked up my car on President's day and was told to bring it in when the light stays on. Well, when I got home, 8 mile drive from the dealer, I decided to wash the car. When I finished, I looked into the car and noticed the air bag light was on. It was not on when I got home, it turned on while washing the car. I then started the car and the light stayed on and as soon as I put in into drive the light went off. I placed back in park and the light went on, put back in drive and turned off. I then drove about 20 minutes, 14 miles and then placed it in park and the light never came back on. I then drove back home on the freeway and light would blink occasionally, but now the light stays off. I'm wondering if there is a lose wire or a wire that got wet when I washed my car. Any suggestions or ideas. Thanks for the input.
Old 02-22-11, 07:12 PM
LeX2K
Lexus Champion

Received 2,703 Likes on 2,288 Posts

That's a weird problem, but it does sound like a flaky connection. I do know on these systems that the ECU will flag a problem if the airbag light indicator itself (or the associated circuit) is bad, that might be what's going on with your car.

What throws me off is the light is not always on or flashing, bad ECU?
Old 02-23-11, 12:03 AM
GEORGE_JET
Lead Lap

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

You could try cleaning the connector to the airbag control unit. Radio shack has a contact cleaner called De-ox, comes in a small spray can. Make sure that you disconnect the grd cable on the battery, and wait at least 5 min before removing any of these connectors.
Old 02-23-11, 11:28 PM
angmedic91
Lexus Test Driver

Originally Posted by Lexus2000
That's a weird problem, but it does sound like a flaky connection. I do know on these systems that the ECU will flag a problem if the airbag light indicator itself (or the associated circuit) is bad, that might be what's going on with your car.

What throws me off is the light is not always on or flashing, bad ECU?
I was wondering myself if I could have a bad ECU. I did scan for a code when the air bag light was on using an OBD II scanner and no code at all.

Originally Posted by GEORGE_JET
You could try cleaning the connector to the airbag control unit. Radio shack has a contact cleaner called De-ox, comes in a small spray can. Make sure that you disconnect the grd cable on the battery, and wait at least 5 min before removing any of these connectors.
Where is the air bag control unit located? Im wondering if one of the wires going to the bumper sensor is causing this issue. Just weird that it came on while washing my car. Wondering if water got into the sensor or a wire that is exposed and water got in. Thanks George and Lexus2000 for your input.
Old 03-03-11, 09:48 AM
angmedic91
Lexus Test Driver

Wondering if anyone else has insight into my problem or has experienced this issue. Thank you!
Old 03-03-11, 12:03 PM
download
Rookie

My ex. 94 camry, the gauge cluster lights would dance when rainning, I could not find any reason till one day - changed the noisy alternator.
All the flashing lights gone.
Old 03-03-11, 05:07 PM
LeX2K
Lexus Champion

Received 2,703 Likes on 2,288 Posts

From the service manual, hopefully it will help you out.

http://img818.imageshack.us/img818/9...rbagsystem.png
Old 03-03-11, 05:30 PM
angmedic91
Lexus Test Driver

Originally Posted by download
My ex. 94 camry, the gauge cluster lights would dance when rainning, I could not find any reason till one day - changed the noisy alternator.
All the flashing lights gone.
Hmmmm, that was a weird thing for you, especially the alternator causing it. The only light the dances is the air bag light, all other lights are fine.

Originally Posted by Lexus2000
From the service manual, hopefully it will help you out.

http://img818.imageshack.us/img818/9...rbagsystem.png
Thanks bro for the schematic, it helped as far as where to find it.

Update: The air bag icon continues to flash, but now seems to stay on more and is even on when the car off. From my observation, it seems to be a bad sensor or something thats senses motion. For instance, if im at a stop light, the icon will be on and as soon as I accelerate if goes off, but comes on again when I drive at a constant speed. If I hit the brakes it will turn off, but then come back on at a stop light. Im probably going to take it back to the dealer and have them scan for a code. The first time I took it to them, it barely flashed and was not on when I took it to them and when they scanned it, no code. Im hoping now, with it more on than off, it will have a code as to what is wrong with it.

Last edited by angmedic91; 03-24-11 at 04:48 PM.
Old 03-24-11, 05:10 PM
angmedic91
Lexus Test Driver

Default Update

Update on my issue for those that it may help out in the future.

Well, I took my car back into the Lexus Dealer about two weeks ago. I have a good friend that is a service Rep. at my local Lexus dealer and she really takes care of me with service and cost. Anyways, took it back because the airbag light is back on and stays on. Well, the tech had narrowed it down to either the airbag unit or the wire loom to the engine compartment. He scanned for a code and no code came up, so he was leaning towards a problem with the wire loom. The other day I got an update and low and behold it's the wire loom/data link cable that runs out to the front of the car in the engine compartment. Apparently, this data link cable is old school, obselete in a sense to Lexus. This was the old school way of reading codes from the airbag unit, but apparently Lexus can now plug into the unit via another cable link behind the glove box which actually gives the Lexus tech a trouble code on a scanner. Well, the old school cable in the engine compartment is apparently frayed somewhere and is ground, causing the airbag light to flash and pretty much stay on. He came to this conclusion when him and another tech were working on it and one tech moved the wire cable and the other tech noticed the airbag light turn off, when he pulled the wire back it came back on. Conclusion, the tech suggested, since the data cable is obselete, he suggested to uplug if from the other cable link behind the glove box. The other choices I had was to place that old school data link cable or have them run new wire to the the other end of the cable in the engine compartment. I opted to have them disconnect the old school cable, easier to do and cost effective. They have assured me the SRS system is properly working. I hope this may help others in the future with maybe the same issue. I have to admit this issue was very unique, even the tech had never experienced this before on another ES300. Oh well, just my luck.
Old 04-07-14, 11:35 PM
5H2DA
Driver School Candidate

Default Flashing air bag light

I have a '99 Lexus RX300 with 180K miles. While driving the car on the freeway today for several hours, the air bag light began flashing on/off at about a 1 second rate. This flashing duration became more random until I stopped for gas about 30 minutes later. When I restarted the car, the light was out, and remained out for over 3 hours. Just before I stopped again for gas, the light began flashing. Restarting the car and driving another 2 hours and the light stayed out.

Reading through the thread, it sounds as though a wire in the engine compartment may be the issue. Since the thread is 5 years old, is there any new information which can be shared from the talented masses?
Old 12-11-17, 02:05 PM
kl001
Driver School Candidate

Same issue here, is there any update? Thanks
Old 04-22-19, 06:27 AM
llaboy
Driver School Candidate

Default 1999 lexus rx 300 AIRBAG FLASHING

Hi, I have a 1999 lexus rx 300 and let airbag light start flashing. My car have a 235,000 miles on it. Any suggestions that I follow to trouble shoot this or should take it to the dealer.
Thanks