ES - 1st to 4th Gen (1990-2006) Forum for all 1990 - 2006 ES300 and ES330 models. ES250 topics go here as well.

Beating a dead horse.. I know!!

Search this Thread

Old 02-22-11, 01:19 PM
nicks88
Pole Position

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Beating a dead horse.. I know!!

Ok.. this is prob the main topic of convo, but I need a straight answer before I head to the store to get fluid. I have a 96 ES.. I called the dealership, and asked about ATF. They have Type IV ATF and they said it is compatible with the pre 03 trannsmissions. However, I have heard that mine needs DEX III. Which is a fact??? I am draining right now, and want to make sure I get the right ATF. Thanks in advance and sorry for probably asking the same TRANNY question over again. Its obviously a big topic/concern for a lot of peeps.
Old 02-22-11, 01:45 PM
LeX2K
Lexus Champion

Received 2,708 Likes on 2,293 Posts

Your car specifies/requires DexronIII or compatible. This fact is easily verified by looking in the owners manual, and also the factory service manual.

I can't say for sure if the Toyota Type IV is compatible, but I doubt it. I've ready several times that Toyota Type IV is actually Mobil 1 3309 fluid, according to Mobil 1's specs it is not Dex compatible.

BTW, I have a Camry that has the A540E transmission and run Vavoline Maxlife in it, the tranny runs nice with the stuff. You have the A541E which is almost exactly the same.

Last edited by LeX2K; 02-22-11 at 01:52 PM.
Old 02-22-11, 01:49 PM
nicks88
Pole Position

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

perfect.. thank you so much. I will go pick up some valvoline DEX then... Thanks again!!
Old 02-22-11, 04:14 PM
ASG14
Lexus Test Driver

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

You can use the TIV fluid in your 96, but you can NOT use the Dex3 in the TIV trannies. I have a mix of Dex3, TIV, and Royal Purple in mine, lol.
Old 02-22-11, 04:18 PM
yeldogt
Lead Lap

Received 15 Likes on 12 Posts

My 2000 ES300 calls for Type IV - So does my 2005 ES330

What does you manual say to use?

A simple fluid change is only 4 quarts for both of mine - that is what the dealer does when they change the fluid. They do not drop the pan.

The dealers charge less than $5 bucks for the fluid -- I just picked up 4 quarts and the drain ring for $21.00
Old 02-22-11, 04:58 PM
LeX2K
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by ASG14
You can use the TIV fluid in your 96...
You can use type IV fluid if it is also specified for DexIII compatibility. If it is not, then you cannot. Always read the label/specs, they are there for a reason. And if you have an owners manual, read it!

A541E specifies DEXIII, U140E T-IV. Some fluids are compatible with both. I can't stress this enough, read the label! Valvoline MaxLife is compatible with:
DEXRON, DEXRON II, III and VI, Toyota T-IV and WS, MERCON®, MERCON® SP and LV, Allison TES 389, Nissan Matic-D, Matic-J and Matic-K, Honda Z-1 (except CVT),
And don't always believe what the dealer says, they have given me incorrect info on my Lexus before which I found disappointing. Just because the dealer says a fluid is okay to use does not mean it is.
Old 02-22-11, 05:08 PM
ASG14
Lexus Test Driver

I WORK for the dealer.......One of the top in the region too.
Old 02-22-11, 05:40 PM
yeldogt
Lead Lap

I have never understood the fluid controversy. Fluids can meet a specification and not be the same fluid as another. Being compatible is not the same as being equal.

And some fluids have changed over the years.

The fluids from Toyota/ Lexus is not much more than going to Pep Boys. Why mix it?

The proper coolant is like $20.00 a gallon + a gallon of distilled water and your good to go. As stated the trans fluid is less tan $5.00.

Some cars list a generic on the dipstick in case of emergency and may list a another in the manual
Old 02-22-11, 07:05 PM
LeX2K
Lexus Champion

I WORK for the dealer.......One of the top in the region too.
Can you clarify if Toyota T-IV fluid is indeed Mobil 1 3309? Or something else? Some T-IV ATF's are most certainly not suitable for DexIII applications which is why I ask.

What is stated on the container? I've never purchased Toyota brand ATF.
Old 02-22-11, 07:11 PM
ASG14
Lexus Test Driver

I need to ask at work tomorrow. I remember hearing the Toyota Motor Oil is Mobil in the US (likely different in Japan, just liek the oil filters). I forgot what the conversation was about when I heard the Mobil comment. It won;t say it on the bottle who makes it though. Either my boss or the shop forman who has been there for years will likely know.
Old 02-22-11, 07:18 PM
LeX2K
Lexus Champion

It won;t say it on the bottle who makes it though.
I was more wondering if it states anything about fluid compatibility/application. Thanks for the info though appreciated, good to be able to get the info from the source instead of hearsay etc.

BTW I didn't mean to imply all dealers don't know what they are talking about. I was just saying that the dealer I go to has given me wrong info, which is frustrating because I would hope the dealer would be a reliable source of info.
Old 02-22-11, 07:27 PM
ASG14
Lexus Test Driver

Oh, many dealers really don;t know what they are saying...it IS true unfortunatly. One I have been to in FL, I;d have to say has some of the stupidest people on Earth working for them. The head parts guy at my dealer is one of the top in the US, and I've learned wuite a lot from him.

We also have a couple really really good mechanics, and almost all of them are big car guys. One of them is rebuilding a 1JZ for his Mk3 Supra, and I just ordered some gaskets form Japan (Well, friend in New Zealand) for it. So I learn a lot like that too.

Honestly, I stopped listening to nearly everyone on car stuff, and I have a dozen or so choice people who I go to for help/questions. So many people tell me wrong info, I have learned to watch out. Hell, EVERYONE told me when I 1st got my car @ 60k miles, I would blow my tranny before 100k miles due to the way I manually shift the Auto. Yup, installed SC around 110k miles, drove it harder, and ALWAYS manuall shifted it. Was laughed at and told I;m an idiot. Turns out, the only reason my Tranny is still going at 165k miles is becuase of the way I manually shift it. Reason's like that I don;t listen to what people say. And sadly, most workers at dealers don;t know either.
Old 02-22-11, 07:44 PM
BradTank
Racer

Received 170 Likes on 116 Posts

Originally Posted by Lexus2000
You can use type IV fluid if it is also specified for DexIII compatibility. If it is not, then you cannot. Always read the label/specs, they are there for a reason. And if you have an owners manual, read it!

A541E specifies DEXIII, U140E T-IV. Some fluids are compatible with both. I can't stress this enough, read the label! Valvoline MaxLife is compatible with:
DEXRON, DEXRON II, III and VI, Toyota T-IV and WS, MERCON®, MERCON® SP and LV, Allison TES 389, Nissan Matic-D, Matic-J and Matic-K, Honda Z-1 (except CVT),
And don't always believe what the dealer says, they have given me incorrect info on my Lexus before which I found disappointing. Just because the dealer says a fluid is okay to use does not mean it is.
I disagree.

Just because a label on some new product says it's compatible doesn't necessarily mean it's good for your transmission. I'm VERY skeptical of these "all in one" fluids like MaxLife that say they work in nearly every transmission. If it were that simple I think every manufacturer would just use the same fluid.

There's also bottles of "Stop Leak" for your transmission at Pep Boys that say they're compatible with all transmissions, that doesn't mean it's good to dump them in.

This isn't like an oil filter where different brands are interchanged all the time, Toyota is very specific about the fluid that's used. Just go with the fluid the manual says, it's all the same price anyway.
Old 02-22-11, 07:44 PM
yeldogt
Lead Lap

The bottle does not state compatibility with other fluids.

Some bottles say "Made in USA" other say "Made in USA from domestic and imported components"

On the bottle:

advanced atf designed by toyota r&d specifically for toyota automatic transmissions.

precise friction coefficient helps prevent transmission shutter

special additives protect against corrosion and excessive wear

chemically balanced to be compatible with rubber seals and metal finishes inside your toyota transmission

smooth shifting in extreem temperatures
Old 02-22-11, 07:49 PM
pauloil
Pole Position

3309 is same as TIV. those of us with volvo 5 speed tranny buy the TIV because it is cheaper at the toyota dealer

Quick Reply: Beating a dead horse.. I know!!