ES - 1st to 4th Gen (1990-2006) Forum for all 1990 - 2006 ES300 and ES330 models. ES250 topics go here as well.

gas pedal hesitation on ES330

Search this Thread

Old 02-06-11, 05:39 PM
Jontay
Driver

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts
Default gas pedal hesitation on ES330

I just bought a 2005 ES330 with the 3.3L V-6. It has right @ 120k miles on it and there seems to be a slight hesitation when I apply gas after coasting for a short distance or when there is a situation similar to a rolling stop, etc.

Example: When a approaching a stop light and I have let off the gas pedal and coast towards the light. As I have now slowed to approximately 5-10 mph, the light turns green, and the car hesitates as I re-apply pressure to the gas pedal. Almost seems like the tranny is not finished shifting 'down' all the way or something like that. Does the same thing when turning from a main street onto a slower road...as I coast thru the turn and then apply gas as I have finished the turn.....the vehicle hesitates for about 1/2 second.

If I remember correctly, it does not seem to hesitate when I apply pressure to the gas pedal after I have come to a complete, full stop.

The dealer, Lexus of Reno (that I bought it from with an "as is" warranty) said that this is normal trait for this kind of car. However, I have a VERY difficult time believing that a $40k entry level luxury sedan would hesitate under any conditions. This is a very irritating problem and I have to say that I am a bit disgusted with my first Lexus purchase.

Anyone have any idea what this symptom might be coming from?

Thanks for any and all input.

John
Old 02-06-11, 06:00 PM
miltonlin
Driver

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

Transmission hesitation is often a complaint I hear, and its due in part to drive-by-wire starting in 2002. Rest assured the dealer will almost always say this is normal behavior unless you press/push it.

1. What is condition of the fluid or last time you changed it? A drain/fill wouldn't hurt if fluid is dirty or it's time to change.

2. Maybe disconnect battery for 10min and connect back, so transmission can relearn.

3. Dealer may be able to re-flash the ecu for better response. You can take it to dealer for that service.

Sorry you feel that the car should perform better.

Last edited by miltonlin; 02-06-11 at 06:08 PM.
Old 02-06-11, 06:09 PM
Jontay
Driver

The tranny fluid appears very clean and a nice pink color. Don't know if the previous owner ever changed it on required maintenance intervals or whether the dealer changed it before putting it out on the lot after being traded in.

I will disconnect the battery and see what that does.

Thanks a bunch for your input.
Old 02-09-11, 05:46 PM
jrryjms07
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Jontay
The tranny fluid appears very clean and a nice pink color. Don't know if the previous owner ever changed it on required maintenance intervals or whether the dealer changed it before putting it out on the lot after being traded in.

I will disconnect the battery and see what that does.

Thanks a bunch for your input.
did it work for you cuz i have the same problem..
Old 02-10-11, 11:36 AM
Jontay
Driver

Have not had a chance to get to it yet. I will try it this weekend and let you know.
Old 02-12-11, 05:38 PM
plovell
Rookie

This is often caused by a dirty air intake plate. Not difficult to do yourself. In fact Lexus recommends this be cleaned every two years.
Old 02-12-11, 07:15 PM
jrryjms07
Driver School Candidate

X
Originally Posted by plovell
This is often caused by a dirty air intake plate. Not difficult to do yourself. In fact Lexus recommends this be cleaned every two years.
Yu talking about the manifold?..
Old 02-13-11, 01:06 AM
WAES300
Driver

It is somewhat of a trait of the car, though it totally depends on how severe the problem is. If you're used to the feel of a cable throttle car, and switch to a drive by wire car, yes you will get what might feel like hesitation. To me, it's more of not being able to get it going smoothly..

However, having driven that gen ES330, I think it's not performing to spec. I drove one and it didn't hesitate, or have any issues driving it smoothly, which leads me to believe your car has a different issue than what the dealer is pushing. Sorry not much help..:P