Sign in using an external account
Register Forgot Password?

Radio/Stereo system problem 2001 es300

Old 01-27-11, 05:17 PM   #1
Pandaman
Driver School Candidate
Trader Score: (0)

Default Radio/Stereo system problem 2001 es300

My radio/stereo system was playing beautifully one second, then 20 minutes later when i started the car back up, nothing...

Some observations:

-New Battery
-When its dark outside and I turn the lights on, everything else illuminates and works (clock, AC, etc) besides the stereo/audio console.
-When I press the button to turn it on, nothing
-Cd changer in glovebox works fine (in terms of ejecting and all that)

Took it to my mechanic, who checked all of the fuses, said they were fine. He looked it up and found that there were 24 some cases that had a similar problem as me, and the solution was an AMP problem.

I'm just confused on why an AMP is not causing the radio/stereo/audio part of the console to not illuminate. I understand why it would cut off the sound/power, but idk.

Can anyone give me advice on what the problem may be (if it is or is not an AMP problem)? I'd like to get this taken care of as soon as possible. THank you for all of your replies.
This ad is not displayed to registered members.
Register your free account today and become a member on Club Lexus!
Pandaman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-11, 06:30 PM   #2
PFB
Lexus Test Driver

There are two fuses for the Radio. One is in the engine compartment, and the other is in the lower dash, behind the coin holder.

The fuse behind the coin holder, controls also the outside remote mirror and its memory position function. Does your remote mirror work?

Did your mechanic check both fuses?

Last edited by PFB; 01-28-11 at 08:23 AM..
PFB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-11, 09:33 PM   #3
PlatES300
Lead Lap
Trader Score: (1)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pandaman View Post
My radio/stereo system was playing beautifully one second, then 20 minutes later when i started the car back up, nothing...

Some observations:

-New Battery
-When its dark outside and I turn the lights on, everything else illuminates and works (clock, AC, etc) besides the stereo/audio console.
-When I press the button to turn it on, nothing
-Cd changer in glovebox works fine (in terms of ejecting and all that)

Took it to my mechanic, who checked all of the fuses, said they were fine. He looked it up and found that there were 24 some cases that had a similar problem as me, and the solution was an AMP problem.

I'm just confused on why an AMP is not causing the radio/stereo/audio part of the console to not illuminate. I understand why it would cut off the sound/power, but idk.

Can anyone give me advice on what the problem may be (if it is or is not an AMP problem)? I'd like to get this taken care of as soon as possible. THank you for all of your replies.
this is definitely a problem with the stock amp located behind the glove box. if you look at the wiring diagram for the car, the main power goes from the battery into the stock amp. the stock amp then routes the power to the head unit, thus if the amp is dead, then your stock radio will be dead as well. replace the stock amp and you will be fine.
PlatES300 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-11, 11:17 PM   #4
Pandaman
Driver School Candidate

Wow Plat ES And PFB, thanks for the thorough and quick responses. I really appreciate it. I was able to check and the a chord goes from the battery to the amp to power the radio, or something like that, my mechanic showed me the wiring, and PLATES- looks like you were right, thanks again. This place is WAY better than the other lexus forum, USlexus or something like that? Anyways thanks again!
Old 02-03-11, 08:57 PM   #5
Pandaman
Driver School Candidate

In case someone has this problem, check out:

LKQ online used parts star (under radio, NOT amplifier/speaker)-enter your year/model
Automotix
Old 02-03-11, 08:57 PM