ES - 1st to 4th Gen (1990-2006) Forum for all 1990 - 2006 ES300 and ES330 models. ES250 topics go here as well.

Adding Power outlet to factory system

Search this Thread

Old 12-19-10, 11:37 PM
adreano17
Advanced

Received 107 Likes on 58 Posts
Default Adding Power outlet to factory system

want the power outlet to cut off power while car is not on. I don't want to tap into the current outlet because if both are being used, the small gauge wire will not be able to support current in both outlets.
Old 12-20-10, 05:48 AM
KLF
Lead Lap

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

It would really help if you let us in on what year your car is, and where you want the outlet installed. What specifically are you asking?
Old 12-20-10, 10:52 AM
adreano17
Advanced

Originally Posted by KLF
It would really help if you let us in on what year your car is, and where you want the outlet installed. What specifically are you asking?
sorry, its a 96. outlet in the front maybe. also i guess what i am really asking is how to tap into accessory power
Old 12-21-10, 10:15 PM
adreano17
Advanced

anyone????
Old 12-21-10, 10:36 PM
nine3es
Lead Lap

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

You will need a relay kit if you do not want to pull from the same wire as the oem and still want it to go on/off. Get a fog light relay wire kit from any auto parts store, run the trigger wire from the relay to your other lighter or ignition accessory wire. It will sense power and turn on the relay allowing power from the main battery wire(which you must run to the battery), to pass through the relay to your new power outlet. Be sure to ground everything.
Old 12-21-10, 11:05 PM
adreano17
Advanced

Originally Posted by nine3es
You will need a relay kit if you do not want to pull from the same wire as the oem and still want it to go on/off. Get a fog light relay wire kit from any auto parts store, run the trigger wire from the relay to your other lighter or ignition accessory wire. It will sense power and turn on the relay allowing power from the main battery wire(which you must run to the battery), to pass through the relay to your new power outlet. Be sure to ground everything.
you make it sound pretty clear and easy, greatly appreciated, but where exactly would i go for the accessory wire? also, if it is directly tapped into ACC, then wouldnt it be automatically be controlled by the key? or do you recommend an independent power source with the ACC signal as the "on, off"
Old 12-21-10, 11:21 PM
nine3es
Lead Lap

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

with a relay kit, you have 4 connections.

1. battery wire ran straight to the battery with an inline fuse within 12" of the positive terminal.

2. trigger wire, needs to connect to a wire thats 12v positive ONLY when you want the outlet on. you can tap into the wire on your original outlet, or connect to any ignition accessory wire thats hot when you want the outlet to work.

3. switched wire, connect to the 12v positive wire on your new outlet. this wire is only hot when the trigger wire(#2) above is hot. it is powered from the fused battery wire(#1) though so there is no load on the trigger wire.

4. ground wire.

do not tap into the accessory wire for power, only for a trigger wire. use the relay kits heavy power wire and inline fuse run to the battery as the independent power source.
Old 12-21-10, 11:49 PM
adreano17
Advanced

Originally Posted by nine3es
with a relay kit, you have 4 connections.

1. battery wire ran straight to the battery with an inline fuse within 12" of the positive terminal.

2. trigger wire, needs to connect to a wire thats 12v positive ONLY when you want the outlet on. you can tap into the wire on your original outlet, or connect to any ignition accessory wire thats hot when you want the outlet to work.

3. switched wire, connect to the 12v positive wire on your new outlet. this wire is only hot when the trigger wire(#2) above is hot. it is powered from the fused battery wire(#1) though so there is no load on the trigger wire.

4. ground wire.

do not tap into the accessory wire for power, only for a trigger wire. use the relay kits heavy power wire and inline fuse run to the battery as the independent power source.
you just made me feel like a n00b because you rly just explained it well enough a kid can do it.

can i get this from an autozone or some sort? or what do you suggest. what can i expect to pay for this. thanks
Old 12-22-10, 05:41 AM
argy
Driver School Candidate

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

dude just go to best buy and get it installed if u cant do it yourself man.....
Old 12-22-10, 05:53 AM
baadhabit
Lexus Champion

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by adreano17
want the power outlet to cut off power while car is not on. I don't want to tap into the current outlet because if both are being used, the small gauge wire will not be able to support current in both outlets.
get a power inverter ran straight to the battery.

http://www.radioshack.com/product/in...ductId=2259480
Old 12-22-10, 09:11 AM
adreano17
Advanced

Originally Posted by argy
dude just go to best buy and get it installed if u cant do it yourself man.....
thats very ignorant of you to say. no one said i cant do it after the instruction given. i have swapped polarities on batteries, installed head units, along with amps in my trunk......i believe i can install this relay...once again, thanks for the ignorance, and the help you just gave.
Originally Posted by baadhabit
get a power inverter ran straight to the battery.

http://www.radioshack.com/product/in...ductId=2259480
i was considering a inverter, because i am going to eventually install a car pc, but idk if it would be too much of a pull on the electrical system with a 1000 watt sub in the back. i would like a relay on that as well if i choose to go that route.