ES - 1st to 4th Gen (1990-2006) Forum for all 1990 - 2006 ES300 and ES330 models. ES250 topics go here as well.

1997 ES, should I be paranoid about sludge or tranny?

Search this Thread

Old 11-15-10, 09:49 PM
jmueller
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 1997 ES, should I be paranoid about sludge or tranny?

I know sludge has been discussed ad infinitum, but...

Previously a late model (2003 SC430) owner whacked by financial crisis, had to sell and bought a low mileage (but old) Mercedes W126. Engine just blew up at 125K miles. Had Infinitis and Toyotas (+Lexus) before, want to go back. Money is tight, I have let a great 2000 Infiniti I30 escape me as well as an okay '97 ES300. Need a car fast.

Tomorrow I am looking at a 1997 ES300, 108,000 miles, one owner, dealer serviced (purportedly), asking $5K. After the MB engine blew up I am gun shy. I expect (don't really know) that this car has had all the scheduled maintenance done, but given an older lady driver and where we live probably had a lot of short trips that didn't get the oil temperature up.

I can not afford an engine replacement. I know the best thing is to pull the front Valve cover and look. But would it be okay to wait and buy the vehicle (assuming all else normal), pull the valve cover then and flush engine if extensive sludge? Or must I pull Valve cover before committing?

Are there other major concerns? I've heard of a few trannys going out, hoe common? I understand mormal repairs like struts, rotors and the ubiquious radio LCD screen.

Greatly appreciate any advice.
Old 11-16-10, 12:02 AM
LeX2K
Lexus Champion

Received 2,701 Likes on 2,287 Posts

There is no way to tell if the engine has sludge without pulling the valve cover, so I would do that. But keep in mind that sludge engines on these cars are actually very rare, we just hear about them because when it does happen, it can potentially completely destroy the engine.

If an engine is heavily sludged up, flushing all that gunk out is hit and miss at best, over time you might get rid of all of it, or it may actually make things worse and end up clogging the internal passages.

As for the transmission issues, I am not familiar with them on these cars, what have you heard? BTW, ask to see the service records, and look them over carefully.
Old 11-16-10, 09:24 AM
jmueller
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by Lexus2000
There is no way to tell if the engine has sludge without pulling the valve cover, so I would do that. But keep in mind that sludge engines on these cars are actually very rare, we just hear about them because when it does happen, it can potentially completely destroy the engine.
Thanks, I hope I can see the service records, I expect the car had at least the recommended services, but may have primarily been driven short distances which has been suggested as a cause of the sludge.

If an engine is heavily sludged up, flushing all that gunk out is hit and miss at best, over time you might get rid of all of it, or it may actually make things worse and end up clogging the internal passages.
That's too bad as what I'd like to do is buy and then do some maintenance which could include pulling the valve cover, replacing gaskets, etc.

As for the transmission issues, I am not familiar with them on these cars, what have you heard? BTW, ask to see the service records, and look them over carefully.
Just some anecdotal stuff over on Carsurvey.org such as this one:

http://www.carsurvey.org/reviews/lexus/es300/r52520/

I understand there can always be isolated cases, but thought I'd ask here whether it's more than isolated.
Old 11-16-10, 10:15 AM
LeX2K
Lexus Champion

Received 2,701 Likes on 2,287 Posts

I found some of those comments over at Carsurvey.org iffy. My BS meter was going off for sure. I could be wrong though.

As with any car, there are failures and defects. Sometimes a car is just a lemon, unfortunately. But the gen3 ES300's are one of most reliable cars made.
Old 11-16-10, 11:25 AM
WAES300
Driver

If you're buying from an owner, why not asking what kind of driving has been done on it? I was paranoid somewhat after I bought mine, but why did I buy it? Because it ran great. I have all but forgotten about the 'sludge' and the car has not skipped a beat. If all else on the car looks good, such as maintenance, condition, etc., I say go for it!
Old 11-16-10, 05:55 PM
jmueller
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by WAES300
If you're buying from an owner, why not asking what kind of driving has been done on it? I was paranoid somewhat after I bought mine, but why did I buy it? Because it ran great. I have all but forgotten about the 'sludge' and the car has not skipped a beat. If all else on the car looks good, such as maintenance, condition, etc., I say go for it!
Thanks.

Owner is elderly and I'm buying it from her son, he's not sure if she's got records but said he'd authorize the Dealer to release them. Not sure how that would work. Last sticker is from a Costco Oil change a couple of months ago, looks like she put new Michelin's on at the same time. Dealer is a bit of a hike so i understand not taking it there for every oil change, but sure would like to know that the Timing belt has been changed.

Talking with a local mechanic he says the oil sludge is very unlikely to be a problem on cars that spent their entire life in southern Cali, as they reach operating temperature on a short drive. Would have to really have been neglected in his opinion.
Old 11-16-10, 06:10 PM
fatboypup
Driver School Candidate

I think youll be fine, I just picked up a 97 with 165k and it runs great .... thou I got mine for about 3x less then your paying :/
Old 11-16-10, 07:03 PM
RXGS
Lexus Test Driver

Received 210 Likes on 171 Posts

I wouldn't worry about miles this is a great example of what im saying, its all about service https://www.clublexus.com/forums/lex...condition.html
Old 11-16-10, 07:17 PM
sphillips
Rookie

I just purchased a '97 with 133,000 miles and it runs like a top. Previous first owner from Thousand Oaks, CA said service performed every 30,000 miles. I paid $2750.
Old 11-19-10, 03:03 PM
jmueller
Driver School Candidate

Default Still looking at this car

Well, I have no more worries about Sludge but discovered a couple problems with the car that I didn't expect. Trying to figure out how to value it now. First is a suspension rattle, seems to be coming from different corners and from what I've read on here I'm thinking it's most likely the Strut mounts (But maybe struts themselves or ball joints?). Sounds like replacing the mounts is a PITA, parts about $85/ea but not a DIY job for me. So I'm guessing $250 each with labor, is that about right? Do they normally all get done together? And is the rattle a sign they are wearing, or just a rattle? Struts seem to have decent damping, so could I go a while and do everything together?

Also, the front passenger window doesn't operate and I think it is the motor (neither switch runs it and there's no sound whatsoever). The OEM part is incredibly expensive, I know you can get junkyard motors but it seems like a lot of work to put in a used part. Of course I can drive the car as is, but i do think it diminishes the value. Any thoughts?

Thanks.

FWIW this is a one owner car with 108,000 miles. It was serviced at the dealer up to 82,000 miles (at which time timing belt, water pump, cam cover seal and both valve cover seals were replaced) but there are no service records past that point. Doesn't mean it wasn't serviced, just that I don't know what was done or by whom. No suspension work was done in the first 82,000 miles.
Old 03-11-12, 08:08 PM
Xtom73G
Driver

Check out Lexus Drivers - My service history on line. I think it is part of or related to Club Lexus. Once you have a password, you will be able to see all history for service at dealers, as well as any items that were added manually by an owner. I update mine every time I even change oil.
Old 03-11-12, 08:12 PM
Xtom73G
Driver

BTW, it is my understanding that the sludge issue was the result of a greatly and incorrectly extended oil change service interval recomended by Lexus, and that they were sued. Also, Lexus replaced many engines free of charge. Proper and frequent oil and filter changes seem to have terminated this issue. I've heard various other reasons proposed, but not verified.
Old 03-12-12, 05:59 AM
brucelee1
Racer

Received 87 Likes on 74 Posts

I would buy the car. The trans should be more than fine. Change the oil and trans fluid when you buy it. Be dilgent on the oil for a while and you will be OK.

Good luck.
Old 03-12-12, 07:59 PM
yeskay
Intermediate

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

you should consider the car. 1 owner car, major service completed at dealer. strut noise is normal wear and tear. you may contact lexus customer support via phone and they would validate with vin if this engine production build is part of sludge recall or not. i did that before i bought mine and i am happy with my purchase.
Old 03-12-12, 08:21 PM
Spiziked23
Driver School Candidate

I have a 99 ES300 with 260k miles, and it runs quite fine.
I wouldnt be worried with proper maintenance

Quick Reply: 1997 ES, should I be paranoid about sludge or tranny?