ES - 1st to 4th Gen (1990-2006) Forum for all 1990 - 2006 ES300 and ES330 models. ES250 topics go here as well.

93 ES smokes white and smells like gas.

Search this Thread

Old 10-12-10, 03:06 PM
denerobags
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 93 ES smokes white and smells like gas.

Hello all. I bought a 93 es about a month ago with 167,667 miles on the dash. The problem Im having is I'm getting a lot of white smoke out the pipe and it smells like fresh gas. After searching this and another forum I came to the conclusion that it was the ECM or ECU. Well I've changed that, and it stopped smoking as bad, but the smell of gas never stopped. I'm completely lost. I took to a guy and he said that it has a miss and that its flooding which is why I smell gas. The CEL isn't on, and it cranks and runs fine to me. I have a guy who said he will put injectors in for $100 parts and labor. The only thing Is, I'm not sitting on money because I lost my job, so the money I spend isn't coming back. I need the car so should I do the injectors, and If not can anyone tell me something that will help with this car? Thank you!
Old 10-13-10, 12:34 AM
ppark7384
Driver School Candidate

If your engine is miss firing it will definately let the ecm/ecu know. I don't think faulty fuel injectors will make your car smell like gas. I would trace fuel lines starting from the fuel pump for any leaks.

I would have the dealer diagnose these kind of problems. unless the mechanic guy you talked about can do a money back guarantee its the fuel injectors I wouldn't get work done from him. 100 bucks for parts and labor sounds too good to be true. He might be replacing em with used parts. Food for thought...
Old 10-13-10, 04:54 AM
GEORGE_JET
Lead Lap

$100 for a set of injectors, with labor. That is far too low of a price, labor time for a injector is app 2.5 hours. Even with used injectors you still will need to but new orings to install the injectors. You would be better off purchasing a few bottles of fuel injection cleaner and run that thru the tank. If that doesn't help, save your money and find someone who is not going to jack you up.
Old 10-15-10, 04:25 AM
denerobags
Driver School Candidate

Yea, that's what everyone is saying. He said he doesn't think its the ECM, and you guys don't think its the injectors. It's so stressful lol. I was also told to change the temperature sensor. This was told to me by the guy who said he would do the injectors, any thoughts?
Old 10-15-10, 12:32 PM
GEORGE_JET
Lead Lap

I did not say that it was not a injector problem, I do not believe that anyone could purchase a set of good injectors and have them installed for $100. It could very well be a injector. I just finished cleaning and rebuilding a set of injectors from a v12 jag. Three were leaking, and a couple were clogged.
And a bad temp sensor can also cause these types of problems. A mechanic would measure the resistance of the sensor and determine if it is good.
I would find a real mechanic, the person who is working on your car is just throwing parts at it. In the long run, this will be more expensive.
Old 10-15-10, 03:54 PM
denerobags
Driver School Candidate

Just found out that the injectors he was going to put in are used, and came out of the same year camry('93). Also which is where the ECM came from. Now I have another question. The ECM I bought from him had the same first 6 numbers, the last 6 numbers were different. The number on the ECM that was in the car originally is 89661-33191; the one I got from him ends in 33060 I think, its in the car. So my question is, do the last 6 numbers have to be the same?

I changed the oil in the car today, and it was half oil, half gas. It was crazy. Thanks for responding!
Old 10-15-10, 05:20 PM
GEORGE_JET
Lead Lap

If there is oil in the gas, it is there could be a injector leaking. You could pull one plug wire at a time to see which cylinder it is. Then change that injector and see if it is any better. You can also listen to injectors using a stethoscope (harbor freight sells a cheap one). Injectors make a distinctive ticking noise, you will have no problem figuring out which is the bad one.
Old 10-15-10, 06:54 PM
denerobags
Driver School Candidate

So its between injectors and the ECM. It crazy how so many people have had or is having the same problem. I ordered a ECM a few mins ago. If that doesn't work, I'm going to have the injectors changed. I know it sounds fishy that the guy will do the work for so cheap and all, but when your pockets like the southbeach diet, its hard to pass up. I've noticed something since I've been dealing with this car. When ever we make a purchase, we try to fins a cheap price, then when we hear the price, we question why its so low lol. I always do that. Its the same as always though, you don't go cheap on the things you depend on. Are changing injectors in this car hard, or time consuming, perhaps a little of both?
Old 10-15-10, 07:26 PM
GEORGE_JET
Lead Lap

May I ask who is willing to change the injectors so cheap? Not a professional mechanic I would assume. With a decent set of tools, he would have been able to determine if it was the injectors, or the ecm. A simple noid light will tell you if the ecm is pulsing the injector. A few minutes to measure the resistance of the temp sensors (both water and air). The MAF sensors on this year is also very easy to check. A stethoscope will tell you if it is just a sticky injector.

Replacing parts just because other people have had these problems get expensive fast. And when you are buying used parts there is no telling what condition they are in.
Old 10-16-10, 06:50 AM
denerobags
Driver School Candidate

He has a shop at his house. It was a lot of cars there, and he had a lift. So I'm not going to say he's good or bad, because he has never done any work for me. He was parting that camry out one CL and that's how I meet him. With the luck I have I think $100 is good price to find a good mechanic. I've put out way more money, and he wasnt worth a damn. So I'm going to try the ECM, and go from their. Now the MAF is the thing between the intake and the intake manifold right?
Old 10-16-10, 10:20 AM
GEORGE_JET
Lead Lap

The fact that he is parting the other car out explains how he is getting the parts so cheap. I still think that he should be doing a little more before swapping parts.
You are correct about the MAF, on these years, it is a very simple mechaincal device that is easy to check with a DVM. To go back to your first post, Is the car still smoking?
Old 10-17-10, 07:24 AM
denerobags
Driver School Candidate

Yes the car is still smoking. I just found a real mechanic lol. He told me to bring it to him so he could look at it. So I have two things to do to the car before I take it to him. The ECM I ordered should be here in the next few days, so I'm going to put that in and see what happens. I also pulled the male part of the plug on the MAF away from the circuit board inside the unit lol, so I have to get another MAF. I checked my injectors, and they are all running at the right ohm's, the funny thing is, I check the cold start injector, and it is supposed to be at 40ohms when cold, it was at 4! Hmmm....what do you think about that?
Old 10-17-10, 12:55 PM
GEORGE_JET
Lead Lap

Yea, you need a second opinion on this one. The smoking really needs to be diagnosed properly. It appears to be more than one problem than needs attention.
Old 11-10-10, 06:36 AM
denerobags
Driver School Candidate

I have a question for you, the guy I took my car to said my number 3 cylinder isn't hitting. He said he was going to do a compression test. He said it could be the injector or a bent valve. Will you hear any kind of noises with a bent valve?