ES - 1st to 4th Gen (1990-2006) Forum for all 1990 - 2006 ES300 and ES330 models. ES250 topics go here as well.

'96 ES300 tire wear on 1 tire

Search this Thread

Old 09-30-10, 09:19 AM
garrad21
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default '96 ES300 tire wear on 1 tire

I posted about this on my native Mazda forum and got nothing in terms of help from the d-bags over there, so I joined and figured I'd post it here. Here is the issue we are having:
We have a 1996 ES300, 225k miles, all 4 tires have been replaced in the last year and an alignment was done at the time of installation. Now, the car does not belong to me, but rather my roommate, so I'm not sure how long the issue has been going on. I drove the car the other day and noticed it was shaking pretty harshly from ~60 to ~70 mph, so I figured it was a tire balance issue. No sweat. I set out to do the balance today at the craft shop on post (US Army) and when I took off the rear left tire I got stabbed in the hand with the wire that was sticking out of the outside edge. I inspected the tire and noticed that it was only worn down to wires on one part of the outside edge, but had a bit of tread the rest of the way around. All 3 of the other tires show no wear at all and all are properly inflated. I have never seen an issue like this before. Can anyone shed some light on what it might be? We'd take it to a shop in town here, but they are all complete ***** and I don't trust them.

Thanks in advance!

Photos:

Old 09-30-10, 09:32 AM
adreano17
Advanced

Received 107 Likes on 58 Posts

wow!!!! this is sick looks like your bearings are off center. like you are with off set rims....
Old 09-30-10, 01:42 PM
LeX2K
Lexus Champion

Received 2,707 Likes on 2,292 Posts

Whoever did that alignment was completely out to lunch. With wear that severe, the problem would show up right away when they check it to specs. Take to a good alignment shop, or if you can lift both front wheels off the ground and the same time, and check for play in the bearings, struts and bushings.

The tires are so worn it's hard to tell if there is cupping, feathering, a severely off camber etc.
Old 09-30-10, 03:11 PM
garrad21
Driver School Candidate

I lifted the rear end of the car (it was the rear left that was the culprit) and checked for play and I found none. After thinking about it for a bit I really think it is a camber issue, but I just find it really weird that it only effected half of the inside part of the tire and not the other side. I went ahead and put a new tire on and I'm sure it was properly mounted and balanced because I did it myself. I drove the car and there was no shaking at all. I'll have it in for an alignment tomorrow most likely.

Thanks for the help guys.
Old 09-30-10, 04:27 PM
LeX2K
Lexus Champion

Received 2,707 Likes on 2,292 Posts

Let us know the results of the alignment. I have not seen a tire that badly and unevenly worn in a long time. It's also strange that only the one tire is beat up like that. Are you sure that is the tire that was put on a year ago? How many miles since the new tires were installed? Was that side of the car in an accident at one point?
Old 09-30-10, 09:35 PM
mooseboy84
Rookie

Something is wrong with the camber in the rear. That tire has a lot of negative camber wear on the inside. Something is obviously bent or broken!

BTW, That tire needs to be tossed and a new one used. That is seriously a blowout waiting to occur and shouldnt be driven on. Driving on a donut is safer than that, someone could easily blow that out and crash.
Old 10-01-10, 11:37 AM
garrad21
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by Lexus2000
Let us know the results of the alignment. I have not seen a tire that badly and unevenly worn in a long time. It's also strange that only the one tire is beat up like that. Are you sure that is the tire that was put on a year ago? How many miles since the new tires were installed? Was that side of the car in an accident at one point?
I checked the other three tires and they all looked much newer than the one above, so I'm assuming it was not changed with the other 3 for some reason. None of the other tires show uneven wear. The car was in a fender bender a little while ago, but no frame or suspension damage- my roommate rubbed the side of the car against the wall of a drivethru. Genius, I know.
Old 10-01-10, 11:39 AM
garrad21
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by mooseboy84
Something is wrong with the camber in the rear. That tire has a lot of negative camber wear on the inside. Something is obviously bent or broken!

BTW, That tire needs to be tossed and a new one used. That is seriously a blowout waiting to occur and shouldnt be driven on. Driving on a donut is safer than that, someone could easily blow that out and crash.
I replaced the tire yesterday. Luckily I caught it before a blow out. She commutes with that car almost 400 miles a week, so a blow out would have definitely happened. We're hoping to get it in for an alignment this weekend. Results to come.
Old 10-04-10, 06:16 AM
PeterR1
Rookie

Since you mention a 60-70mph vibration, check the obvious-bent wheel or bad tire (shifted or broken belt) when you replace the tire. Then I would check for a bent spindle or worn bearing or race on that hub. An alignment wouldn't necessarily pick these problems up, esp. if the rack isn't calibrated or the mechanic isn't properly trained or observant. Good luck.