ES - 1st to 4th Gen (1990-2006) Forum for all 1990 - 2006 ES300 and ES330 models. ES250 topics go here as well.

1999 es300 - Overdrive Issue (recurring)

Search this Thread

Old 09-24-10, 10:17 AM
firsttimer
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 1999 es300 - Overdrive Issue (recurring)

Hi,
I've read in many places that this model es300 is prone to OD problem where the car would not shift to overdrive (automatic). I have purchased this with very high miles and didn't even realize that it is not shifting to OD when I test drove it. In any case, its been at the shop for several weeks now ever since I bought it. At first, the computer said it is knock sensors (as it was also said in many forums for this issue with this car), so we changed both knock sensors including its sub-harness, also changed the ECT sensor in the process. It drove fine and shifted to OD but after 15 or 20 miles, OD stopped again. The computer reading is now saying the O2 sensors as well as the knock sensors ... again.
I have not changed the O2 sensors as I am not sure if that even is the right thing to do.
I cant afford to take it to Lexus and not sure how many more sensors etc, is the computer going to require changing.

Any help would be greatly appreciated. thanks.
Old 09-24-10, 01:11 PM
ktranne
Rookie

my brother had a 99 with 140k miles with exactly same problem. Took it to a local transmission shop. They took the transmission apart and replaced the computer inside it. Cost him $250 for everything. Drove for another 3 yrs w/o any problem. One thing he did after the fix, he never turned the O/D off.
Old 09-24-10, 01:42 PM
firsttimer
Driver School Candidate

Default 1999 es300 - Overdrive Issue (recurring)

Hi Ktranne,
Could you let me know what is the name of this computer in the transmission that they replaced like what is it called or was it a sensor or something. And since the cost was 250, I am assuming it wasn't a very big job.

thanks a bunch.
Old 09-25-10, 05:27 PM
D-Boi
Lexus Test Driver

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

my od doesnt turn on off id did a couple of times when i first bought it a month ago but not anymore.
Old 09-26-10, 04:56 PM
firsttimer
Driver School Candidate

Default update

here's an update on my overdrive issue.
what its really doing after replacing knock sensors and ect sensor. It goes to overdrive for the first time. If I start from home to take the freeway, it would turn to overdrive just fine on the freeway. But once I slow down enough for it to shift down to first or second gear when i take an exist and then take the freeway again, it would NOT shift to overdrive.
Also, today, I took the freeway crusing in overdrive and then stopped on the sholder and turned off the engine. Then after a minute started driving again and it DID go to overdrive.
So it seems like it will only go once into overdrive after it starts.....wierd.
Old 10-23-10, 10:28 PM
sexylexy19
Driver School Candidate

I have the exact same problem. my dad took the battery out and replaced a headlight and then for the first day it would shift into OD but it was kind of rough so i didn't push it. the next day, no OD, and it hasn't done it since. but that day when i turned it on it would quit soon after turning on so i would have to hold the gas petal to keep the RPM's up and then throw it into gear. it was not a fun morning.
Old 10-24-10, 01:57 PM
canbrass
Driver School Candidate

I am experiencing the exact same problem with my 2000 ES with 158k. As long as the car doesn't stop, it will shift into OD. Once it stops, then I lose OD. What I've had to do is shut the engine off and restart it if I want my car to shift into OD when driving on the highway. I was first told that it was the rear O2 sensor, which that didn't solve the problem. Then I was told it was the mass airflow sensor, which that didn't solve the problem. Now I'm told that it's the knock sensors. I guess I'm going to fork over the $400 to get them replaced and hopefully that will solve the problem. I'll keep you all posted and. Just curious, does anyone else have the check engine light illuminated while experiencing this problem? Mine is.
The following users liked this post:
Barnwood (06-22-20)
Old 10-25-10, 08:40 AM
davis449
Rookie

I'm going to have this same issue with my '94 I just bought (131K on it). It did that funky stuff when I test drove it, but it eventually went off and never saw the light again. I bought the car and as I was driving it home, it decided to die on me when I accelerate. I'm going to see what the guys at the repair shop I took it to have to say about the dying issue and see if they came up with an problem code for the O\D issue. I really hope it isn't the TCU, I'm really not in the mood to have the transmission taken apart to replace the computer.
Old 10-26-10, 07:24 AM
davis449
Rookie

They diagnosed mine as being the transmission output speed sensor. I ordered, what I hope, is the right part from my friend who runs a performance parts store. It was Lexus Part # 8941308020. I hope that's right...
Barnwood (06-22-20)
Old 10-26-10, 12:59 PM
angmedic91
Lexus Test Driver

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by davis449
They diagnosed mine as being the transmission output speed sensor. I ordered, what I hope, is the right part from my friend who runs a performance parts store. It was Lexus Part # 8941308020. I hope that's right...
Please keep us updated. I'm having what might appear to be knock sensor or sub harness issues, but havent noticed if my car is not going into overdrive or not. I just recently bought a new MAF sensor, cause I was getting a CEL code of P0171, but also recently got a CEL of P0330. P0330 is related to a knock sensor issue, but got it along with my P0171. Im hoping the two maybe related.
Barnwood (06-22-20)
Old 10-27-10, 07:02 AM
davis449
Rookie

Originally Posted by angmedic91
Please keep us updated. I'm having what might appear to be knock sensor or sub harness issues, but havent noticed if my car is not going into overdrive or not. I just recently bought a new MAF sensor, cause I was getting a CEL code of P0171, but also recently got a CEL of P0330. P0330 is related to a knock sensor issue, but got it along with my P0171. Im hoping the two maybe related.
What I know, for sure, right now is that the car had a misfire in cyl. #3 that required an ignition coil and a spark plug. Originally he wanted me to replaced the injector as well, but when I took all the parts there yesterday he said the injector was fine, it just wasn't getting spark. Which is ok, saves me $94. I'll let you know tomorrow if the transmission speed sensor fixed the O\D issue as I'm supposed to get the car out of the shop tonight.
Old 10-28-10, 06:37 AM
davis449
Rookie

Originally Posted by davis449
What I know, for sure, right now is that the car had a misfire in cyl. #3 that required an ignition coil and a spark plug. Originally he wanted me to replaced the injector as well, but when I took all the parts there yesterday he said the injector was fine, it just wasn't getting spark. Which is ok, saves me $94. I'll let you know tomorrow if the transmission speed sensor fixed the O\D issue as I'm supposed to get the car out of the shop tonight.
After a quick test drive last night, during which I played with the ECT Power Mode, the damn O\D light started flashing and the CEL came on. Car drove fine though. No rough running and the trans shifts smooth (or about as smooth as you could expect a car with 131K on it). It doesn't kick or shift funny at all. Took it home, parked it for the night, and drove it into work this morning with the CEL on, but the O\D light never started flashing and, as far as I can tell, the overdrive is fine. It runs at just below 3K RPM at 75 MPH, which is about where I remember my sister's former Camry V6 XLE ran in Overdrive on the highway at that speed (I know their extremely similar, if not the same, cars). I'm going to take it back, if it behaves the same all day today and tomorrow, and just have the codes run and cleared and see what happens. Also, after they do, I'll make sure I get the code and post up what it is and if it's the same as before I replaced the Automatic Trans. Speed Sensor. Who knows, maybe I replaced the wrong sensor?

Last edited by davis449; 10-28-10 at 06:40 AM.
Old 10-29-10, 06:41 AM
davis449
Rookie

Drove the car back and forth to work yesterday and in this morning. The CEL stopped after I ran to another site of ours yesterday afternoon before heading home and I haven't seen it since. Car drives smooth and goes into O\D just fine. I am really clueless on that one, but I guess I'll let it go until it does it again.
Old 10-29-10, 07:48 PM
firsttimer
Driver School Candidate

Is the transmission speed sensor the same as the transmission solenoid?
Where is the trans speed sensor located and what did it cost you to replace it (parts + labor)
Old 11-01-10, 09:03 AM
davis449
Rookie

Originally Posted by firsttimer
Is the transmission speed sensor the same as the transmission solenoid?
Where is the trans speed sensor located and what did it cost you to replace it (parts + labor)
I had to take mine into the Lexus dealer this morning (I'm not taking it back to the indy shop I had it at before). The O/D light starting flashing again and it triggered a Check Engine Light, but this time the trans actually started shifting funny. The part I replaced was the Automatic Trans. Speed Sensor, Lexus Part# 8941308020. This DID NOT FIX THE ISSUE.

According to another post I've read in this forum, there are two sensors that may cause this issue and I replaced one of them, obviously. According to my friend's World Pac and IMC accounts, this was the only sensor available for the transmission in this car. However, that DOES NOT mean that there aren't two sensors on the transmission. The Lexus dealer gave me this part# when I referred to it as the "Transmission Output Sensor". However I should mention that the indy shop gave me a completely different part# for "Transmission Output Sensor". They said it was Part# SC149, which I think is a part number given to them by the ordering system of whatever parts supplier they use. I couldn't find a matching Lexus or Toyota part number for that one, so that's when I called the dealer's parts dept. and asked about it. For all I know, I've just replaced the wrong one of the two sensors. I'll update this thread when the dealer call me back with a diagnosis. The part I replaced (Automatic Trans. Speed Sensor), at wholesale cost to me, was $94 and the dealer said it was $145 from them. The labor charge from the Indy shop was $45.

P.S. The transmission solenoid is NOT the same as the sensors I'm talking about. That part (the solenoid) is INSIDE the transmission itself and, as far as I know, wouldn't cause this issue.

Last edited by davis449; 11-01-10 at 09:16 AM.

Quick Reply: 1999 es300 - Overdrive Issue (recurring)